The online racing simulator
I won't be racing for a few days.....
(27 posts, started )
Try skipping the setsebool command. Its only required if Fedora configures SELinux, I can't remeber if it does it by default or not.

To see if you have the drivers enabled, run the following command in a console:

glxgears

And tell us how many fps it renders. For your card it should be a couple of thousand. If its only a couple of hundred its likely the drivers aren't correctly installed.

Quote :I'll agree with you on Ubuntu feeling rather sluggish tbh. It is a nice system to just slap on, but 'tis rather slow. People tend to say that Ubuntu is Debian configured properly. I'm starting to disagree; although its configured nicely, I wouldn't say that its still quite right; and I'm definately going off the way gnome is heading (although I still like the GTK "feel", Qt is much nicer to work with ).

At the end of the day, I guess you just use what you're happy with Hell its all just the same thing packaged slightly differently by the time it hits your screen. But you should still be using something debian based imho (I'm a Debian lover, if you hadn't noticed )

Out of interest, how is Fedora these days? I've been told its all slow since Mono's been introduced...

I would agree Ubuntu is a good system to just "slap on", but I don't think its there yet like you say. Espically the newest release - theres a lot of pretty major bugs in it, but they chose to get it out the door anyway. The installer in particular has some nasty bugs I encountered. And they're gonna be supporting this release for 3 years, I'm sure it'll be fun times for them. To be fair they sent me free CD packs for the last release which included the installer & live CD, which I gave to people at college to have a play around with.

I don't much get on with Gnome these days - feels a bit overweight, I don't like the concept of gconf, and even though it feels heavyweight, its not all that adjustable. I'm very much liking the new Enlightenment WM - its blazingly fast, infinately adjustable, but it still looks nice, and is very functional. Only catch is the CVS gets broke once in a while, and there's no "stable" release yet.

Personally I used to be pretty loyal to Debian - in no small part because it was rock solid, new packages very rarely caused problems, and apt-get is very nice. Fedora has advanced a lot over the last couple of years though - I now think yum is on par with apt-get, its just a bit slower. Fedora has got a lot of things right, including the defaults for most things, and it feels pretty snappy. Upgrades are handled just as easily as Debian as well. If your not careful though it will still quite happily install 7 text editors and 4 web browsers Having Mono in a default install is actually quite nice - applications written using it are not noticably slower than regular GTK ones. And C# is a very nice language to tinker around with, espically compared to the mess of combining Glade with C++. QT wins hands down on the development side in my opinion, GTK is a complete mess by comparison. The Fedora community are also pretty helpful (www.fedoraforum.org).
yeah personally i had only tried slackware a long time ago and a few months ago i hoped in the ubuntu dapper thing to try out xgl/compiz, i like it but im the first to say that its not snappy as my xp is, but i dont have a clean install as i had tested for a few months and its taking up like 6gb of space but its full of dev files and not really needed stuff unless you plan to build some stuff from source. i also tried gentoo but it seemed a bit too complicated for the normal user, having to build stuff is cool but its slow and prebuilt packages are just easier to use for the average user, ill try FC if i get an iso of that, but as it is i think im addicted to wobbly things

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG