The online racing simulator
I won't be racing for a few days.....
(27 posts, started )
I won't be racing for a few days.....
Read my post at RSC.

I was wondering where I can download wine, and if it runs LFS.... Help?
If your using BeatrIX, you may have trouble finding a prepackaged Wine. Its generally best to use a 3rd party package specific to your distro, so thats where I'd start.

LFS runs in Wine, or did last time I tried, but performance is not acceptable. I was getting approx half the Windows framerate, and had to turn most of the visual options down. The biggest problem is I never got my wheel working with Wine, and using the mouse sucks big time.

Which bootloader was you using though? What happens when you try to boot off the HD? If you install Suse it will install the grub bootloader, which, assuming your partition table and your data is still in tact, will let you boot Windows.
Quote from Rtsbasic :If your using BeatrIX, you may have trouble finding a prepackaged Wine. Its generally best to use a 3rd party package specific to your distro, so thats where I'd start.

LFS runs in Wine, or did last time I tried, but performance is not acceptable. I was getting approx half the Windows framerate, and had to turn most of the visual options down. The biggest problem is I never got my wheel working with Wine, and using the mouse sucks big time.

Which bootloader was you using though? What happens when you try to boot off the HD? If you install Suse it will install the grub bootloader, which, assuming your partition table and your data is still in tact, will let you boot Windows.

My partition table was completely screwed up. I ran a boot CD called gparted. It couldn't read my partition table, so I re-labeled the drive. Then, I did a fresh install of windows. As I expected to happen, windows overwrote GRUB. That's fine. I am going to get SUSE later today. I already have a 15GB NTFS partition for windows. I will create a 15GB reiserFS partition, and a 512MB swap partition when I install SUSE, and the rest of the space will be FAT32. Should I make SUSE create its partition at the end of the disk, or right near windows?

Anyway, I have installed windows so I am fine. I just lost all of my LFS setups though. Good thing they were terrible anyway. But I also lost my WIP skins.
There are data recovery tools out there that will get data back if its not been overwritten, most of them offer a free demo that shows you a preview of what it can recover.

Letting Suse create its partitions next to the Windows one is perfectly fine. I would make the swap 1GB though. Also you should use ext3 instead of ReiserFS, it has better performance on very small files and doesn't loose some of your data in a crash.

If you get Linux Format over in the US, I believe they have the Suse DVD on the cover this month. Saves a lot of downloading.

One nice thing about the design of LFS, is once you have a seperate partition to the O/S, you can keep LFS on there, and on a reinstall, all you have to do is create a new shortcut and re-unlock. I don't think I've ever had to reinstall LFS because I do it like this
Now I am using ubuntu, and I reinstalled windoze. How do I get DirectX working with wine?

I already installed wine using synaptic.

EDIT: I booted into windows. Now I will install LFS, and unlock it.
wine doesnt work as good as cvscedega for me, in linux lfs will be locked even if you unlock from windows. good howto here
after that you should need to change some options as lfs' cars show up transparent and stuff, i added this to my cvscedega config file:
;; LFS
[AppDefaults\\LFS.exe\\d3dgl]
"PixelShaders" = "Y"
"NV_VAR" = "Y"
"ClipSpaceFix" = "N"
Quote from Rtsbasic :One nice thing about the design of LFS, is once you have a seperate partition to the O/S, you can keep LFS on there, and on a reinstall, all you have to do is create a new shortcut and re-unlock.

Not when BeatrIX completely messes up your partition table. Perhaps I still can recover data, but I already reformatted.
hmm..using regular wine builds, I have successfully unlocked & raced online. I didn't encounter any problems like transparent cars, only performance issues, and never got my DFP working with Wine.

wheel4hummer, have you installed the ATI/Nvidia drivers for you card yet?
Quote from Rtsbasic :wheel4hummer, have you installed the ATI/Nvidia drivers for you card yet?

I couldn't install them, they wouldn't work in ubuntu. Although there is a conversion program called alien which I got. I think I tried converting the .rpm for "XFree86" from ati to a .deb, but something bad happened. I have a terrible memory, lol. Do you use ubuntu? It can't use .run files. I am a n00b at linux.
lol indeed so it seems, .run files are to be used in the command line normally by using "sh" but if you want to install 3d drivers then there are alot of howto's, nvidia drivers are available in synaptic, dunno about ati, anyway nvidia howto here and ati howto here
these are for ubuntu breezy but they are useful for dapper aswell as i think there are some links in there.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I couldn't install them, they wouldn't work in ubuntu. Although there is a conversion program called alien which I got. I think I tried converting the .rpm for "XFree86" from ati to a .deb, but something bad happened. I have a terrible memory, lol. Do you use ubuntu? It can't use .run files. I am a n00b at linux.

:doh: First thing is to stop downloading the drivers from the official website. Download them using synaptic / apt if you're using Ubuntu. NEVER, unless you know what you are doing or don't mind rebuilding your system, piss about with packages, especially if you're using something like alien; theres a lot of scope to stuff things up there. The second issue is that if you're using Ubuntu, is that you're using X.org not XFree86. Doing a search for ATi or NVidia within your package manager (synaptic or apt) should be good enough.

The distro team will almost always have what you want pre-packaged these days. Always check the official repositories first. This is the biggest learning curve; unless you're downloading and compiling source, downloading random files is a big no-no (unless you know what you're doing).
To be fair, getting drivers straight from the source is common pratice on Windows, so its natural to assume thats where someone unfarmilar with the process will start. Additionally, you can make them work quite easily, although its more hassle than its worth in most situations.

wheel4hummer, what video card do you have?

Installing the drivers is a simple thing, once you know what to do. The guides on the Ubuntu Forums should still work fine, although they are now out of date.

Btw I use Fedora, I used Ubuntu for a few a while but didn't like how unresponsive it felt, never was able to figure out why. I also didn't like the way it handled root privilages.
Quote from Rtsbasic :I also didn't like the way it handled root privilages.

So, I'm not the only one. I might actually switch to Fedora now. I read some stuff on their website. They are sponsored by RedHat.

I have two logical FAT32 partitons, a primary NTFS partition, a primary ext3 partition, and a linux swap partition. So, if I install fedora, I just have to put the DVD ISO of fedora on a FAT32 partition, and burn the 1st CD ISO. Then, I boot the CD, and tell it to install from the hard disk when the menu pops up?
Personally I've always been partial to Redhat/Fedora, maybe because I started with them back in RH5.2 days Lots of people get on with Ubuntu though. As a note, you should *never* run your desktop as the root user, its very easy to bugger the system up doing this, and leaves the system much more vunerable when its on the web.

The way I installed Fedora, was to do a net-install. I would not recommend this because your new to Linux, and you likely don't want your computer sitting there useless for a few hours.

You can install from an iso on your HD, you just need to type "askmethod" at the CD boot prompt. You will need to know the folder where the files stored on the HD, and the partition ID (e.g. hda1, hda2 etc. If your unsure, the 1st logical partition on the 1st HD is always hda5, followed by hda6, non-logical partitions are hda1-hda4). You may need to tell it the drive is "vfat", which is the name of the driver for FAT32.

You should be able to get away with just downloading the DVD iso, and this iso:

http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/fedo ... /i386//os/images/boot.iso

Burn that one to CD and boot off it, when prompted like I say type "askmethod" and follow the prompts.
Quote from Rtsbasic :You can install from an iso on your HD, you just need to type "askmethod" at the CD boot prompt. You will need to know the folder where the files stored on the HD, and the partition ID (e.g. hda1, hda2 etc. If your unsure, the 1st logical partition on the 1st HD is always hda5, followed by hda6, non-logical partitions are hda1-hda4). You may need to tell it the drive is "vfat", which is the name of the driver for FAT32.

You should be able to get away with just downloading the DVD iso, and this iso:

http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/fedo ... /i386//os/images/boot.iso

Burn that one to CD and boot off it, when prompted like I say type "askmethod" and follow the prompts.

In the install, will it give me the option to just reformat ubuntu? I already have GRUB installed. And, to boot from a CD I always have to use Smart Bootmanager. I'm going to install Fedora now.
Yes it will let you reformat the Linux partitions. It will also reinstall grub for you (which has a nice shiny splash compared to Ubuntu's ).

Once you have Fedora installed, if you like I can post my configuration file for the package manager (called yum) which has extra sources added for non-opensource stuff like drivers, flash, java, etc.
Quote from Rtsbasic :Once you have Fedora installed, if you like I can post my configuration file for the package manager (called yum) which has extra sources added for non-opensource stuff like drivers, flash, java, etc.

Okay, I have fedora installed. I am using it right now!

I would like your config. thanks. And, I have a dell A920 (a rebranded lexmark z600), and on the lexmark website, there is a file to download. Should I use that, or is there some sort of repository or something with drivers?
First, you should install the gui to the package manager. To do this, open up a console, and type:

su -
(enter root password)
yum install yumex

Then when its all done look for it in the system menu (called Yum Extender).

Fedora's "yum" seems to use a more complex file management than Apt (which is what Ubuntu uses, and what I'm used to). To set up extra file sources, run the following commands in a console (as root):

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm
rpm -ivh http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierb ... repo-1.0-1.fc5.noarch.rpm
rpm -ivh http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/f ... lease-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm

Then run yum extender from the menu, and it will update its info on the extra sources. Then from there you can choose to install new software, search for it (e.g. "kmod-nvidia" for nvidia drivers), add it to the que, and then process the que to install them.

You still haven't said which graphics card your using, if you tell us that then I can advise on which packages you need to install.

Have a look here for some helpful hints on Fedora:

http://www.fedorafaq.org

To be honest I don't have a clue on your printer. I don't even own a printer - always leech off the college ones
I have a ATI Raedon 9600XT.
Quote from Rtsbasic :To be fair, getting drivers straight from the source is common pratice on Windows, so its natural to assume thats where someone unfarmilar with the process will start.

Of course. That wasn't my point though.

Quote from Rtsbasic :Btw I use Fedora, I used Ubuntu for a few a while but didn't like how unresponsive it felt, never was able to figure out why. I also didn't like the way it handled root privilages.

I'll agree with you on Ubuntu feeling rather sluggish tbh. It is a nice system to just slap on, but 'tis rather slow. People tend to say that Ubuntu is Debian configured properly. I'm starting to disagree; although its configured nicely, I wouldn't say that its still quite right; and I'm definately going off the way gnome is heading (although I still like the GTK "feel", Qt is much nicer to work with ).

At the end of the day, I guess you just use what you're happy with Hell its all just the same thing packaged slightly differently by the time it hits your screen. But you should still be using something debian based imho (I'm a Debian lover, if you hadn't noticed )

Out of interest, how is Fedora these days? I've been told its all slow since Mono's been introduced...
I installed something from livna, but it didn't do anything. SO, I tried what they had below that on the page you gave me. I got the error "setsebool is not a valid command". I keep forgetting what I actually install. I'm SUCH A N00B!
I got LFS working with wine. I only get 10FPS though. See screenie. I don't think I installed the driver correctly. Maybe I should try a native linux 3D game.
Attached images
Screenshot3.png
try simple track, i get about the same fps in windows and wine. maybe 10fps less for wine if much.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG