The online racing simulator
Folding@Home
(40 posts, started )
Quote from Shadowww :Only ignorant f#%ks think so.

the reason i hate them is simple. "ignorant f#%ks" think "oh, i can install this on any computer i come across, because how will they know it was me, time to leech free cpu"...

there have been many cases where people have been fired from their jobs in america for doing said infraction. the developers of F@H and BOINC specifically say "install on your own computers only", for a good reason.

taxing a cpu to a constant 100% usage draws extra energy, wears out cpu fans faster, makes rooms louder, and wastes network bandwidth.

if i ever find out who has been doing it at my work, i hope my manager reams them out and sends them the bill for replacing roughly 500 cpu fans, labour for having dell install those fans, and the equivalent year's worth of power consumption for 500 computers.
Quote from Shadowww :Whahaha.

Around 5MB per hour here.

you're not the one paying $100K a month for fiber (or managing a network of ~3000 pc's). we also block youtube and facebook.
Quote from bunder9999 :you're not the one paying $100K a month for fiber (or managing a network of ~3000 pc's). we also block youtube and facebook.

Uhm, $100k a month? :| For a gbit line? :|
#31 - Osco
and there I was expecting some origami
Sorry I've been away for a couples of days.....

Quote from bunder9999 :the reason i hate them is simple. "ignorant f#%ks" think "oh, i can install this on any computer i come across, because how will they know it was me, time to leech free cpu"...

there have been many cases where people have been fired from their jobs in america for doing said infraction. the developers of F@H and BOINC specifically say "install on your own computers only", for a good reason.

taxing a cpu to a constant 100% usage draws extra energy, wears out cpu fans faster, makes rooms louder, and wastes network bandwidth.

if i ever find out who has been doing it at my work, i hope my manager reams them out and sends them the bill for replacing roughly 500 cpu fans, labour for having dell install those fans, and the equivalent year's worth of power consumption for 500 computers.

Well I don't see how ppls's stupidity does make F@H or BOINC bad things or like you said ''cancer''??
Taking exceptions and generalizing is never a good thing, that is what xenophobia and racism does.... I believe most F@H members are good reliable ppls who want to help in an honest way!
They are working on real problems and offering real solutions to simulate things which were not previously possible...so they are in no way responsible for the ''stupid'' ppls abusing other’s networks.
I am a system builder specialized in custom installations and I've worked with many network managers the last 12 years, allowing services and applications installations on workstations has always been known as a big problem, I don't understand how you waited for F@H to make you realize that? is that not why things like Group Policy has been integrated to windows?

Anyway, I do agree with you that apps like F@H should be installed only on our machines, but if you do install it on a friend’s machine make sure he does understand fully what it means… never use a machine without authorization…

Sincerely I don’t see how 500 fans could have died from running one year at max T/m as long as they are running inside specifications? Going on and off and the variable speed is often what kills them….
If something like that would happen to me, I would ask Dell to research the problem with their fans and to replace them for free....

Personally I don’t use dynamic frequency scaling ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_frequency_scaling ) on my CPU’s because it is known to cause problems in gaming, that said when testing my main rig (quad core TDP 65W) with or without 4 x F@H clients I noticed a jump of +/-30W compared to my normal daily use (GPU running LFS uses a lot more )… and personally I like to know where the money I give for charity goes and with F@H I can read about every project which are uploaded to my clients…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home
Quote : Estimates of energy usage per time period are more difficult than estimates of energy usage per processing instruction. This is because Folding@home clients are often run on computers that would be powered-on even in the absence of the Folding@home client, and that run other programs simultaneously. While Folding@home increases processor utilization, and thus (usually) power consumption, the extent to which it does so is dependent on the client processor's normal operating load, and its ability to reduce clock speeds when presented with less-than-full utilization (a process known as dynamic frequency scaling). Consequently, the total power usage of the Folding@home client on a temporal basis is probably less than the figure that could be calculated by summing the peak power consumption of each of the project's component processors.

Quote :Also, in a Folding@home client that is run on a home computer where a heating system is being used, the excess heat generated by the power usage would theoretically reduce the amount of energy needed to heat the building.

So if you are still interested to join us, here is the team name and team number:

LFS Community F@H page: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cg ... ampage&teamnum=178510
LFS community Team number: 178510

After writing this I will start the first client for this team and build up from there…
Happy folding!
Read my first post in page one...
Quote from bunder9999 :and wastes network bandwidth.

Oh wait, I've heard you like Star Trek.
Attached images
star_trek.png
#36 - Osco
Oh wait, I've heard you got banned :hide:
lol banned
Well I liked the idea ... maybe it can spread the word of LFS a bit more, if we get into higher rankings.

I use GPU version as well as CPU. The GPU is unbelievable fast compared to cpu. So one day there is no result from cpu and next day there is +4. Maybe thats the "jumpstart"

I was really hoping for more people participating.
Well I will at least participate as long as it is cold in germany and the exhaust
air keeps my foot warm .
Great work mate!
Yeah I know the GPU clients, about 4 times as fast as normal CPU client, but I have high end video cards and they tend to use a bit more power than I would like and I use them too much atm...

I have 2 CPU clients atm, but I will increase that later, wanted to give a chance to others to join us on time!

I have been very busy lately, but I will talk around about F@H and see if I can get us some new members!

Folding@Home
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG