The online racing simulator
PC hardware problem
(20 posts, started )
PC hardware problem
Hey, got a bit of a problem. Bob is ill (yes I've named my computer)

Suddenly pc started making a lot of noise so I opened it up, thought some wire was slightly touching either of the fans and causing the noises by hitting against them.

That does not appear to be the case. Took out the video card, cleaned the fan nicely, nothing's changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmGI1OaJL0 this is what the noise sounds like. Quite annoying to be honest!

As you can see it goes away whenever I lay Bob horizontally. And when i put it back to a vertical position the noise comes back.

I'm out of ideas what could be wrong? I'm not very good with pcs and haven't had much experience with hardware at all so.. help

It does seem like the sound is coming from the video card though, whenever I touch the corner of it the sound disappears for a moment as you can see in the video. But I simply don't understand what the hell is making it exactly.

Gonna go to bed now, but would appreciate if someone could post maybe some ideas on what could be wrong with it? Would be good to get it sorted

Thanks a lot and help me save Bob whilst it's not too late!
Can't hear the video now, but on my previous graphic card cooler died, it made awefull noises for a month before it did.
Maybe it's the power unit too..
Yeah, you've got a fan hitting its housing somwhere. Find the offending fan, and replace it. Job done.
Update: It's making noise even whilst laying horizontally. Annoying s.. of ...

Friend suggested stalling the fan whilst running the computer to see whether the noise would dissapear. Guess I'll try to do that tomorrow *after my lovely sleep*

ANy other suggestions?
thats a rather unusual noise

anyway first things first turn on the pc wait for it to poer up and then stop your fans one by one with a finger on their center (try to not get your fingers into the blades) and see if the noise stops when the fan stands still

edit:

hang on are those popping sounds in the beginning of the video part of the noise or not?
i would say fans but it sounds like something is restarting as u turn the PC back up rather than a wire touching the ran again.
1 of your 2 hamsters has died in the PSU housing unit, the alive one ain't got much left either as he/she is doing twice the work now. You could try and open it and remove the carcass and replace the dead one, but personally I would replace both at the same time and give the surviving one a nice easy wheel at the retirement home, I think he/she earned it.
It is the video card's lil fan that's making the noise...
GeForce 9500 GS
http://images.arianchen.de/sof ... ia_geforce9500gs-pcie.jpg
Speaking to friend, figuring out what i can do

Seems like replacing it might be tricky? Secondly how the hell would i get replacement and how i'd do it by myself? Thirdly buying new one would be easiest, but that'd cost me quite a sum ((
i'm not sure how old the card is, but you could try RMA'ing it... or sometimes you can find replacement fans...
Only had this pc for over one and a half year.

RMAing?
Quote from Electric Eye :Only had this pc for over one and a half year.

RMAing?

Return merchandise authorization (warranty repair).

Seeing as you've had it for more than a year, chances are it's expired by now. They used to sell this stuff with 3 year warranties, but changed a few years back to a 1 year warranty. Might have to double-check that, but I remember a big stink some years back about it.
Anyway I don't think there's much I can do as it is, took a look at it when took the fan+heatsink off the card ... but I just think the fan itself is dead and wobbly.

Best solution would be to get a new one that fits on it..? Never done that before so no idea what to look for exactly, or what pages. Looked at what crashgate suggested, I can't see how I'd put that on...?

P.S. I know I'm stupid

Ideas?
best would be, take the card to a good pc service/hardware store, and ask them what to do. I'd say just replace the cooler, but with no experience on your hand I'd say better get it done by a professional.
Mhh I wouldn't mind doing it myself, afterall i took it all apart and put it back together and hey it works.

So it can't be that bad Just not sure what sort of cooler/heatsink to buy in order to replace it
If you managed to take off the old heatsink, putting a new one on shouldn't be too difficult.

Just clean the old thermal paste off the chip, apply new paste and screw the new heatsink on. Refer to the heatsink's manual to see which mounting holes to use for your card.
Apparently I've got 3year warranty. Googled internet couldn't really find anyone selling replacement for my exact card. So might as well try calling the monkeys
He lives in deep-fried-haggis-land, he can't use NewEgg.

PC hardware problem
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG