The online racing simulator
#1 - Migz
PC > HDMI > HDMI > TV = Looks Terrible... Help?
Im hoping you can help me with my problem because if not theres a chance im F***ked!

I was given a new computer for christmas and it has HDMI out, so last night i decided id take out the VGA cable from the back of my tv. After about an hour of twisting the cable, because one side of it was stuck in my tv, i managed to get it to come out, only problem is that all the pins are bent and it's now unusable.

But at the time i didn't care becasue i was going to be using HDMI from now on. Plugged my HDMI cable into the back of my TV and into the back of my computer and POW, im greeted by uglyness.

It's a bit hard to explain but the image quality is now extremely bad, it looks as if somebodies come in messed about with the contrast, set the brightness up so it hurts my eyes, made everything extremely sharp and then set the quality to B*ll**ks.

I've spent ages messing about with all the settings in the NVIDIA control panel but alas, nothing has helped.

Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Im hoping to fix this because i dont think i can use the VGA input in the back of my tv, im sure it mustve been bent or damaged when i was forcing out the VGA cable.

My Computer is an
Acer Aspire M5201
GT120

My TV is a Samsung LE32A656A1FXXU.

Please Help.
try adjusting the contrast and brightness on the tv.
#3 - Migz
Quote from jeff123 :try adjusting the contrast and brightness on the tv.

Tried that, unluckily its not something that simple. Theres some setting somewhere making everything ugly, it's also making all the colours sort of bland, they're not as detailed as normal.
#4 - Byku
If You are using HDMI connection(dedicated HDMI slot for PC? [i've got LE37B551 and it's HDMI 3]), try changing it's name to PC(or DVI/PC), then this TV should disable all kinds of enchantments.
#5 - Migz
Quote from Byku :If You are using HDMI connection(dedicated HDMI slot for PC? [i've got LE37B551 and it's HDMI 3]), try changing it's name to PC(or DVI/PC), then this TV should disable all kinds of enchantments.

Tried that as well There was no noticeable difference.
Im on HDMI 1, it used to be Cable STB, i changed it to PC.
Did nothing.
Does the HDMI cable work with other things?? DVD Player etc... Maybe a faulty cable
#7 - CSU1
Quote from Migz :Im hoping you can help me with my problem because if not theres a chance im F***ked!

I was given a new computer for christmas and it has HDMI out, so last night i decided id take out the VGA cable from the back of my tv. After about an hour of twisting the cable, because one side of it was stuck in my tv, i managed to get it to come out, only problem is that all the pins are bent and it's now unusable.

But at the time i didn't care becasue i was going to be using HDMI from now on. Plugged my HDMI cable into the back of my TV and into the back of my computer and POW, im greeted by uglyness.

It's a bit hard to explain but the image quality is now extremely bad, it looks as if somebodies come in messed about with the contrast, set the brightness up so it hurts my eyes, made everything extremely sharp and then set the quality to B*ll**ks.

I've spent ages messing about with all the settings in the NVIDIA control panel but alas, nothing has helped.

Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Im hoping to fix this because i dont think i can use the VGA input in the back of my tv, im sure it mustve been bent or damaged when i was forcing out the VGA cable.

My Computer is an
Acer Aspire M5201
GT120

My TV is a Samsung LE32A656A1FXXU.

Please Help.

take a look see at the last three or four posts here...click
Quote from Migz :because one side of it was stuck in my tv, i managed to get it to come out, only problem is that all the pins are bent and it's now unusable.

Wow, you were obviously doing it wrong then.

Anyways, i understand that ur tryng to run HDMI from VGA. VGA is analog and HDMI is digital, u need a convert-dongle to change the signal type.
#9 - CSU1
Quote from Migz :
I was given a new computer for christmas and it has HDMI out,

But at the time i didn't care becasue i was going to be using HDMI from now on. Plugged my HDMI cable into the back of my TV

Quote from hazaky :
Anyways, i understand that ur tryng to run HDMI from VGA. VGA is analog and HDMI is digital, u need a convert-dongle to change the signal type.

huh?
Quote :I was given a new computer for christmas and it has HDMI out

My laptop has HDMI out and it works perfectly
Quote from CSU1 :huh?

Oow, my bad. Im kinda dizzy today.

Anyways, hmm. Havnt read the whole thing yet - HDMI would work fine, no?
Suggest you read it then
He is using HDMI but its not working fine

Quote from Migz :...It's a bit hard to explain but the image quality is now extremely bad, it looks as if somebodies come in messed about with the contrast, set the brightness up so it hurts my eyes, made everything extremely sharp and then set the quality to B*ll**ks...

#13 - CSU1
Quote from DavidTiger :Suggest you read it then
He is using HDMI but its not working fine

...there's no need to be so rude
Quote from CSU1 :...there's no need to be so rude

Cant see a single part of that post that's "rude"..
For me "" = Saying something with a smile on ur face.

Anyhooooow...

Got it to work yet? Try setting the TV & Computer settings to default, might help. no idea tho..
Well I didn't see it as rude
He says he hadn't read it all so I 'suggested' that he read it before making pointless posts that he would have knew the outcome/answer for if he did actually read it...
Quote from DavidTiger :Well I didn't see it as rude
He says he hadn't read it all so I 'suggested' that he read it before making pointless posts that he would have knew the outcome/answer for if he did actually read it...

Pointless post = no content in it or just a word "lol". Also known as spam. So ... yea.

Back on topic, try switching over the HDMI cable. Some cables work in 1 way and in other way they dont work. Someone i know, had similar problem with PS3 > PC. It might help.
Quote from hazaky :Back on topic, try switching over the HDMI cable. Some cables work in 1 way and in other way they dont work. Someone i know, had similar problem with PS3 > PC. It might help.

That is completely impossible, unless one plug of the two is physically damaged and makes contact only with one of the involved devices. HDMI cables don't have any crossover wiring or anything of that kind, they're direct lines.

If all the settings on the TV don't help, change the gama on your computer. I don't know what options the driver offers, but if you can find anything like "wide gamut", "full colour range", "extended colour range", "x.v. Colour", etc., try disabling/enabling it till you find a combination that works. Check for the same on the TV. Ideally you want all the colour range enhacements on, but only if the TV supports it.
#18 - Migz
Sorry i didn't reply earlier... i was up all night last night, then i was in town for half the day, then came home and wiped out.

Quote from CSU1 :take a look see at the last three or four posts here...click

This fixed it It was all the Saturation + Backlight + Picture Mode + Channel Name options. Unluckily though i bought a new VGA cable in town yesterday after finding out that the back of my tv was still fine :/ But i've left both HDMI and VGA cables in so i have a choice so thats good anyway.

Thank you all for the help though

Quote from hazaky :Wow, you were obviously doing it wrong then.

I wasn't doing it wrong, i was just doing it badly.
My tv is mounted to my wall, and i couldn't get it off my wall because i couldn't find any screwdrivers, so i had to take the wire out whilst the tv was still in the wall, giving me about 2 inches of space to fit my hand in, which isnt enough space to be able to move my hand fully. So i was finding it impossible to unscrew one of the little screw things on the VGA cable, so after a while i gave up and just start to rip the thing out of my tv.
#19 - CSU1
Quote from Migz :Sorry i didn't reply earlier... i was up all night last night, then i was in town for half the day, then came home and wiped out.

This fixed it It was all the Saturation + Backlight + Picture Mode + Channel Name options. Unluckily though i bought a new VGA cable in town yesterday after finding out that the back of my tv was still fine :/ But i've left both HDMI and VGA cables in so i have a choice so thats good anyway.

Happy day's
Quote from morpha :That is completely impossible, unless one plug of the two is physically damaged and makes contact only with one of the involved devices. HDMI cables don't have any crossover wiring or anything of that kind, they're direct lines.

Yes, but people have got it working when changing sides like that. Its still worth to try anyway.
#21 - CSU1
Quote from morpha :That is completely impossible, unless one plug of the two is physically damaged and makes contact only with one of the involved devices. HDMI cables don't have any crossover wiring or anything of that kind, they're direct lines.

...reading here that some HDMI cables have built in equalizers and boosters on the audio(probably simple capacitance for surge protection) , also CAT 5, CAT 7 cable is directional for the way in which the cores are wound round one and other allowing use of eddy currents in the system to help transmit the signal better on one way - I can't see this being the case in a standard HDMI cable TBH but yes it is possible...
Quote from hazaky :Yes, but people have got it working when changing sides like that. Its still worth to try anyway.

for reasons morpha that listed, that is not possible. Then the problem must have been either a not connecting the cables properly or the problem being somewhere else.
Is your graphics card resolution set to 1920 x 1080 ?
Quote from CSU1 :...reading here that some HDMI cables have built in equalizers and boosters on the audio(probably simple capacitance for surge protection)

Hello? DIGITAL, what you describe is impossible without circuitry
Decoding and re-encoding is expensive enough, but it'd have to be HDCP compatible, which renders such a "booster" or equalizer utterly pointless. Audio processing is to be done on your receiver, period.
Quote from CSU1 :...reading here that some HDMI cables have built in equalizers and boosters on the audio(probably simple capacitance for surge protection) , also CAT 5, CAT 7 cable is directional for the way in which the cores are wound round one and other allowing use of eddy currents in the system to help transmit the signal better on one way - I can't see this being the case in a standard HDMI cable TBH but yes it is possible...

Neither of these statements make any sense.

Source or GTFO.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG