The online racing simulator
Is it legal if i unlock lfs s2 on a friends computer.
i showed him the demo and i want him to buy the game , but he wanted to see more of the cars, so far he liked the demo. anyhow would it be ok to allow him to use one of my unlocks before he buys the game.
#2 - Reed
I think the rule is that you can unlock it anywhere you want for you own use or for use on a LAN. Keep in mind that if he's using your information, whenever he decides to race online, you will be unable to.
Quote from Reed :I think the rule is that you can unlock it anywhere you want for you own use or for use on a LAN. Keep in mind that if he's using your information, whenever he decides to race online, you will be unable to.

he wont steal my info, and ive known the guy for years, iam just trying to make him buy the game so i can play online with somone i actually know. plus he will be getting a beating if he decides to steal my account.
Back in the day, i was searching for a no-nonsense driving sim. I found racer, tried it, tried it some more and, with my spirit beaten, gave up on the idea.

A friend of mine got a whiff of racer and while i had given up hope, he continued trying and searching. At some point, he showed me something that according to him was better than racer and it was lfs. I looked at him doing a lap or two and it did not seem groundbreaking to me. Oh well. He liked it and, from what i remember, he told me he bought it. A year later, i was playing nfs. and i thought, what the hell, this is sorta fun, i gotta get myself a wheel... and i bought the momo racing one. Gave up nfs, because the wheel would center while the car was standing still. That was enough reason for me.

I remembered what my friend had shown me and i promptly downloaded and played the demo. I liked it a lot... and i called my buddy and asked him if i could check out the full version. He told me, ok, just don't get online. Fine, fine. He explained to me the whole unlocking deal and it seemed pretty reasonable. He was (and still is) S1 licensed. 5 minutes later, my ears were grinning. some time later i was S2 licensed. not a second thought not a single moment of hesitation. My friend's name is silencer51.
#5 - SamH
Quote from stjuart :he wont steal my info, and ive known the guy for years, iam just trying to make him buy the game so i can play online with somone i actually know. plus he will be getting a beating if he decides to steal my account.

He doesn't need to steal your information. When you unlock the game on his PC it will remain unlocked until you lock it again. While ever it's unlocked on HIS PC, and he decides he wants to use it, you won't be able to use LFS on YOUR PC at home. Each account can only be online once, from one PC at one house. It can't be online at two places at the same time.

When you show him LFS on his PC, you should LOCK that copy before you leave his house. This would be the CORRECT thing to do. You should normally only unlock PCs for a LAN party, rather than for going online.

Hope that helps
Quote from stjuart : plus he will be getting a beating if he decides to steal my account.

:chairs: :uglyhamme :splat:
I think that's completely ok. At least if you just let him use your account for couple of days. At least not the same thing as using a crack (which is not ok ), you're just borrowing the game.
You don't need to lock it when you leave his house you can just delete the username and password on the S2 license page, then he will still be able to use the s2 cars offline but won't be able to race S2 online until he gets his own username and pass.
Quote from joshdifabio :You don't need to lock it when you leave his house you can just delete the username and password on the S2 license page, then he will still be able to use the s2 cars offline but won't be able to race S2 online until he gets his own username and pass.

That WOULD be illegal. Legally, if you wanted to unlock LFS on his computer while you were there using it, I think would be OK. Legally, it should then be locked again when you leave as it is your license to use S2, not his. And with software licensing, there is no "borrowing". Legally, you would have to lock your copy and not use S2 if he was to "borrow" your license to unlock.

It sounds like you are legit and only want to show off LFS to get your buddy to buy. That's great. There are alot of idiots who do this stuff just to get around paying for stuff though. In my opinion, you should unlock it on his computer and play S2 with him there. It probably would only take a few laps to convince him to buy his own license. Don't forget while showing him, if you guys are offline, the AI is sad and online is where LFS shines. So, be sure he wouldn't take AI into concideration on a decision to buy.

Awesome, 1 more USA LFS driver and I smell a 2nd one coming .
you cant cheat something you like and this game is the bread and butter of the 3 developers trying to make it in a crowded game market wich shuns creativity and only wants things that sell so i would never let this game get pirated.
Sounds like he just wants to try the full version before he buys it, why doesn't he just try it out on your computer?
He did but it was months ago and he wastn paying attention to it when i tried to show him the game, now that i was over his house i showed him the demo version and i couldnt remember my password to show him more of the content. he is a nascar fan to so i wanted to show him the oval track, so maybe that would of been a better incentive for him to buy the game.
Well my friend bought the game today and i loaned him my microsoft force feedback wheel, he had the none force before , there goes another person who joined the lfs community. now the other freind is next.
ive done this with my friends and one has bought the game, the other is just upgrading his net then buying it as he just got his own pc so i got him setup with lfs and my old wheel straight away

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG