The online racing simulator
guitar amp suggestion
(35 posts, started )
Quote from Ripley :Yes, I also have this amp. Lovely.

Yep, good for pretty much any style =)
Quote from Ripley :Maybe because not everybody chucks it in the back of a van??

Sure, some people only ever play in their bedrooms.

When gear gets gigged it gets destroyed. No matter how precious you are about your gear, it will get destroyed, unless your typical gig is playing sunday lunch time jazz in a restaurant, and even then your gear's probably going to get destroyed at some point. That's just what happens to guitars and amps, they either get abused to death or stolen.
It's not about how precious it is though, is it? You pay for the sound you want. Plenty of people are happy with digital simulated effects, plenty of others aren't.

It's like asking why every guitarist in the world doesn't just use the cheapest piece of crap they can find in a catalogue since they'll need to replace it eventually anyway - you do get what you pay for. Different woods mean different sounds (guitars and amps), different speakers have different output ranges, string brands sound different, different pickup brands can change your sound completely.

But I've played hundreds of gigs in dozens of different venues (a lot of them in really scummy areas with really scummy clientelle) across a couple of different countries and I've never known any musical equipment to be stolen. Not even a pick. Because generally every musician respects the others enough to not want to screw them over.
Broken? Absolutely. Either by general wear and tear or a particularly extravagant performance. But never stolen. Sounds like really bad luck if you ask me.
You'd be surprised mate, I know that Dinosaur, Jr. and Something Corporate have had gear stolen in the past. It's unlikely musicians will be the culprits, more like greedy gits who want a quick buck. I agree with Kev to be honest, playing live and even just bedroom tooling around all you want is good reliable gear.

There are quite a few artists who play with a Line 6 POD straight into the mixing desk. Obviously it doesn't sound as good as a real amp but what you get in return is versatility and to be honest a non-musician would be hard pressed to hear any difference.
Quote from Dajmin :It's not about how precious it is though, is it? You pay for the sound you want. Plenty of people are happy with digital simulated effects, plenty of others aren't.

It's like asking why every guitarist in the world doesn't just use the cheapest piece of crap they can find in a catalogue since they'll need to replace it eventually anyway - you do get what you pay for.

You don't always get what you pay for. Most of the big name manufacturers (especially those with a Leo Fender connection - Fender, Ernie Ball, G&L) build a lot of substandard guitars.

Go into any dealer that stocks a lot of guitars and try to figure out the proportion of those brands that are perfect. You'd expect close to 100% given that they're 'premium' brands, they've been through factory QA and the shop's unpacked them and put them out on the floor, but you won't get anywhere near 100%.

With cheaper guitars (even the budget models of big-name brands) you still expect to swap out all the shitty hardware the same way you would with a Fender, but at least you're not paying a premier for that bent tin bridge and noisy pickups.

Quote from Dajmin :But I've played hundreds of gigs in dozens of different venues (a lot of them in really scummy areas with really scummy clientelle) across a couple of different countries and I've never known any musical equipment to be stolen. Not even a pick. Because generally every musician respects the others enough to not want to screw them over.

It's not usually musicians who steal gear, it's (surprise, surprise!) burglars. Vans are pretty easy to steal from, so are backstage areas, so is the bit of street you're unloading onto. I've never had anything of mine stolen but I have known other bands on the same bill as us lose gear.
Quote from mrodgers :
The girls named my acoustic "Sally Sue" and I think they want to name this one "Lucy Lu".

So your wife bought you Lucy Lu for Christmas and she's currently stuffed under your bed? That lady is a keeper.
Sory, I'm just used to playing in places that have backstage areas off-limits to the general unwashed. My mistake

Not that having a backstage area is anything to talk about. Most of them are a cupboard that stinks of sweat where you have to climb over 4 other band's stuff to get to your own. We've only played one place that had an awesome backstage area and we had our name on a door and everything. They brought us a crate of beer and snacks. We thought we were something special that night.

Quality of guitars seems to depend where they were built. Mexico seems to be the worst, so even fully-fledged Fender-branded stuff built there tends to be sub-par. Korea is apparently slightly better, but still not as good as proper "Made in the USA" gear. But I have a Korean Epiphone LP100 (narrow body Les Paul copy with smooth corners) which has a beautiful tone and is a pleasure to play. Cheap parts let it down (pickup switch in particular), but the sound and build quality are both pretty high. I will love that guitar forever.
Quote from Dajmin :Sory, I'm just used to playing in places that have backstage areas off-limits to the general unwashed. My mistake

Y'know my house is also off-limits to burglars and I jolly well hope they continue to observe that rule.

Quote from Dajmin :Quality of guitars seems to depend where they were built. Mexico seems to be the worst, so even fully-fledged Fender-branded stuff built there tends to be sub-par. Korea is apparently slightly better, but still not as good as proper "Made in the USA" gear.

You're just as likely to get a good Mexican one as a good American one IME, but the most consistent quality seems to still come from Japan. Especially if you can get the Fenders built for the Japanese market (the ones they're not supposed to export because they're cheaper than and better than the American ones).
Quote from Danke :So your wife bought you Lucy Lu for Christmas and she's currently stuffed under your bed? That lady is a keeper.

Yup, Wifey bought Lucy Lu for me last Friday for Christmas and wrapped it up. She waited a whole 6 hours or so before she dragged it out and unwrapped it to show me. She was worried about what she bought because they told her all sales are final and no returns. I don't know what she wanted me to do about it by looking at it, but.....

She hasn't wrapped it back up yet. So, she works evenings and doesn't get home until 11 pm. Kids go to bed around 8-9 PM. I can't have Lucy Lu sitting all stuffed in a box suffocating, so I let her out last night to breathe a little bit (coincidentally playing a little Breathe by Pink Floyd on her, though unplugged since I don't have an amp yet and the kids were sleeping.) About 10:45 I panicked and hurriedly packed it back up again before Wifey got home, LOL.

The kids named my "future" guitar Lucy Lu because they are under the impression that I don't know about it and am planning on buying one after Christmas.

Yes, my lady is definitely a keeper.
I'm sure there was a Futurama episode with a similar story

guitar amp suggestion
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG