The online racing simulator
#76 - Jakg
I did ask about the suspension - as part of the MOT they were "shaking" the car and the mechanic dude said the bushes were fine. He also checked the "play" on the rear wheels which again should show signs of broken bearings...?
I'm by no means an expert, but I'd assume that for speed bumps to wear your tires so much you'd have to drive over them quite often; as in every day, back and forth from work, no? Besides, wouldn't the front tires be as worn as the rear tires?

Lucky for us we don't have these around here. We only have the normal road wide ones. Only thing is that they seem to be getting steeper and ''squarisher'' with time.

I'm really unsure about those things. The street in front of my house is a stretch of road maybe 600m long. On this, there's a single speed bump, not in the middle by any means. The thing about speed bumps is that they piss off people, and I'd say that once they go over them, some probably hammer down the pedal to make up for the lost time, which defeats the point of slowing down anybody in the first place.

Still is an interesting fact that they are still the best way to actually stop people. Most drivers only slow down at stop signs, but the fear of material damage is enough to slow them down probably even more with speed bumps. Wouldn't it be logical to put them at every stop sign?
#78 - Jakg
It's nothing to do with speedbumps, Tristans just jumping on a bandwagon.
Quote from boosterfire :
Still is an interesting fact that they are still the best way to actually stop people.

Speed bumps do are not designed to stop people, the harder you brake the harder the bump is going to be, because you load the front end of the car, meaning you run out of suspension travel and make any bits on the underside of your car slightly closer to the bump. The best way to take speed bumps is at a fairly constant speed, with no braking, this can glide over them a lot faster than most people who brake for them and go over them damaging their cars. If drivers were properly educated conventional full width speed bumps would be an effective way of making people drive at a sensible speed without damaging cars or causing them to waste fuel and time stop starting. Calling them a safety device is a different matter though, because they are distracting and will be a hindrance to anybody needing to stop or change direction quickly.
-
(jonthedoors) DELETED by franky500 : Trolling
I don't see the point in the smaller speedbump, I see some people take the ones on my road at 5mph, and then accelerate back up to 15-20mph in between, whereas I did a test at the weekend with my friend, and we could drive at a constant 45mph over them no problem. Less comfortable but there's no reason to actually slow down for them, considering it's a 30mph road. Long term effects are more concerning, though.
Quote from ajp71 :...The best way to take speed bumps is at a fairly constant speed, with no braking...

I disagree. Best way is to accelerate as you arrive at the bump to lift the nose a bit. You can exaggerate this if you brake first too

It depends on your car whether you have to slow down for them. I can't drive through my estate at a constant speed in my car (unless the constant speed was 5mph ).
Quote from durbster :I disagree. Best way is to accelerate as you arrive at the bump to lift the nose a bit. You can exaggerate this if you brake first too

But what's the benefit of that? Sure, your suspension might experience a slightly less sharp impact, but your passengers will have the added "fun" of sudden longitudinal de- and acceleration in addition to the bump. A constant speed seems to be far more sensible provided the speed bump design allows it (if they're too steep then you obviously have to slow down).
Quote from durbster :I disagree. Best way is to accelerate as you arrive at the bump to lift the nose a bit. You can exaggerate this if you brake first too

It depends on your car whether you have to slow down for them. I can't drive through my estate at a constant speed in my car (unless the constant speed was 5mph ).

Apart from still doing the needless acceleration and braking accelerating before speed bumps will load the rear of the car and cause it to crash rather than the front.
Nom nom nom. MOAR TYERS!
Has to be somethin with toe and/or camber. A colleague from the handicapped school I worked for managed to wear down one of his buses front tires (MB100) in a matter of weeks, most likely the suspension was ****ed up from "climbing" the kerbstone to its parking place to fast. Looked exactly like you explain your rear tires
Quote from Bob Smith :I don't see the point in the smaller speedbump, I see some people take the ones on my road at 5mph, and then accelerate back up to 15-20mph in between, whereas I did a test at the weekend with my friend, and we could drive at a constant 45mph over them no problem. Less comfortable but there's no reason to actually slow down for them, considering it's a 30mph road. Long term effects are more concerning, though.

Totally off-topic, but I agree with this. People do tend to speed up between them, negating the point entirely.

What I'd like to do is throw a foam mannequin in front of cars that I can tell are speeding, giving them plenty of time to brake from the legal speed. Wouldn't damage the car but would scare the crap out of them. Then when they hit it and start complaining I could tell them if they'd been driving within the limit they'd have stopped before it. And that had it been a person they'd be responsible for their death.
That might teach them better.
Luckily we only have them in parking lots along the main path. Solution is to drive around the perimeter of the lot at 3X10^8 m/s speed.

It's awesome!
#88 - Jakg
Took it down to garage #2 today, they checked the tracking (this time I watched...) - they hooked some lasers up and they said the tracking was fine - i.e. the wheels are all pointing in the same direction. All thats left to check now is camber, but they can't do that so I'll have to go to yet another place to get that checked.

Grrrrr.

On the plus side, the new Toyo's are quieter AND grippier than my old tyres.
you wanna find somewhere(e.g. that does performance car stuff)that have a system that can measure everything extremely accurately and a program analyses all the data to check if everything is ok
Only problem would be the monies avalible
yh but whats cheaper, a decent wheel alignment, or neading new tyres every 5 mins
Fair point well made.
#93 - robt
Dont ATS Euromaster do a full geometry setup? (camber, castor check etc) Think its around the £40 mark though.
Quote from james12s :you wanna find somewhere(e.g. that does performance car stuff)that have a system that can measure everything extremely accurately and a program analyses all the data to check if everything is ok

As true as this is, if jacks car is ruining tyres as fast as this, then you would expect something to be so extremely wrong that you would see it instantly with your eyes, without the need of any kind of laser alignment gear to show it, i would expect to see a wheel hanging out of the arch at a hideous angle or something to kill a tyre that quickly.
Dragging the rear brakes (normal or hand) will (probably) tend to make the rear squat. I'd think you would notice that on a car with little power, though. Plus it'd be smoking horendously after anything more than a 5 or 10 miles.
#96 - Jakg
I drive 35 miles each way to Uni and performance is no different to how it has ever been and I havent had to change any brake stuff since I got the car in August... last year. So doubt it's that...
Quote from danthebangerboy :As true as this is, if jacks car is ruining tyres as fast as this, then you would expect something to be so extremely wrong that you would see it instantly with your eyes, without the need of any kind of laser alignment gear to show it, i would expect to see a wheel hanging out of the arch at a hideous angle or something to kill a tyre that quickly.

yh good point but any decent mechanic would spot that a mile off, im a tranee and i would if it was that extreme
Quote from james12s :you wanna find somewhere(e.g. that does performance car stuff)that have a system that can measure everything extremely accurately and a program analyses all the data to check if everything is ok

Generally an expensive bit of kit, operated by idiots and interpreted by morons. Don't waste your money. Do it at home - for less money you can buy a bit of string and an inclinometer, and be just as accurate.
Be glad it isn't a CCX. That actually eats tyres

Quote from tristancliffe :Generally an expensive bit of kit, operated by idiots and interpreted by morons. Don't waste your money. Do it at home - for less money you can buy a bit of string and an inclinometer, and be just as accurate.

yh if you just wanna check the thats fine but the problem is adjusting, it depends how mechanically minded you are and if you know how to, as for finding someone who knows what they are on about try and find one that has been talked about online or something to see if they are any good but my betting is there is something peculiar wrong that isnt very obvious

Car Help - Why Does My Car Like To Eat Tyres?
(125 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG