I didn't even know there is a racing line
Racing Line
It's the 4 key not F4 which shows the racing line.

I would not say the line is wrong as some are suggesting.

I learnt using it and apart from the red braking areas suggesting you need to brake much earlier than is necessary, the rest of it seems ok.

I have managed a 1:34.05 (1:33.90 offline) time at Blackwood in the XFG so I wouldn't say it's slow. And I have also watched drivers who are getting below 1:33.50 and their lines aren't significanly different.

I also think calling it cheating is a bit ridiculous.
You can configure the server to force the cockpit view mode and not allow the racing line to be shown if you want. So for those that want an even playing field, make sure you play on servers that disable it from use if you are that concerned about people using it.
Quote from menantoll :Being Lame and cheating are worlds apart. Personally I don't think it's even lame but that's just my opinion. We are, of course, both entitled to our opinion.

I think if we have to have it, it should be limited to single-player. If you're racing multiplayer with an overlay on the track telling you the fastest way round it then you're taking the piss.

Quote from menantoll :If this is not a joke then I feel very sorry for you. I really do.

I am definitely not doing it to wind you up.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I think if we have to have it, it should be limited to single-player. If you're racing multiplayer with an overlay on the track telling you the fastest way round it then you're taking the piss.

But that option is available to everyone or no one on the track. The reality is that if you don't need it you are going to be faster than someone who does need it or finds it useful, whether they use it or not.

I just don't see why you could have a problem with someone using a learning aid while slowly completing laps at the back while the front of the pack is getting further and further away. They are never going to compete with someone who knows racing lines so why feel they are extracting the urine?

And what about J@tko's reason for using it? Is it not a good idea for a noob (no I'm not calling J@tko a noob) to be told where to brake, especially for T1? Without the aid he may crash into the back of you.
Quote from Forbin :You're better off never using it. Ever.

I use it for as reference points, helps being consistent.
I use it mostly not to screw up whern I don't entirely know the track, and after like 2 or 3 laps i use it only for braking point sugestions... because that's when you start finding your own ideal racing line.
Sounds like some people need to learn how to drive.
I never use it, and never used it... It's slow and makes some drivers brake where you shouldn't, causing accidents
Quote from Forbin :Sounds like some people need to learn how to drive.

Hearing that people actually use this line while racing is
Well that line can be the right line but the real problem with it is that it's the same line with all cars from what I can tell. Every car will be a little different and some will be quite allot different. Say for instance an XRT vs. a BF1 they will have different braking points going into the same corner and depending on how you drive that car your line will vary with both speed and breaking.

The more you read into racing theory you find there are often other "lines" you can take and depending on the circumstances they may be faster or slower. Lets say for example someone is on the idea line but they are off the speed, you can sometimes come in with a lesser line say a late break and sometimes you can make a switchback on exit and take that position away. I guess it comes down to the fact that if you have to rely on that line it will never change and in a real race you will find you have to make adjustments through the entire race.

Luke

Also I don't care for it, just gives me something else to look at while I should be driving. I also feel it might be a handicap to new players who rely on it to get their times, it can teach bad habits like taking a less optimal line into a corner because that's what the line on the track is.
#38 - avih
Quote from danthebangerboy :I was of the understanding that the green line in the '4' display was in fact the racing line, how can the racing line be wrong??

It's not wrong, just not always the optimal line.

E.g., low HP cars tend to need a smoother line to keep corner speed because they don't have much acceleration to use on corner exit. OTOH, strong cars often use later apex, or "square the corner" lines because they're hard to control in full-throttle during a turn. With these cars you can brake later and stronger, point the car at the exit and then floor the gas for a relatively straight line acceleration. Many times it would be faster for those cars.

Generally speaking, the correct line is the one at which you can floor the throttle the earliest and keep it there till the next turn, and not necessarily a fixed function of the track geometry. Although similar for most cars, it can be slightly different according to the characteristics of the car.

That being said, the slight variations of the line is something you adapt to over time as your experience grows with various cars. For beginners though, and especially ones who are clueless about race lines, the '4' line can be of great assistance IMO, especially when they have a BLUE FLAG sign and they need to keep off the racing line
#39 - JJ72
I thought learning a track and finding the line was a big part of the fun?
Quote from JJ72 :I thought learning a track and finding the line was a big part of the fun?

Yeah, but on public servers people pretty much demand that noobs know where to brake and drive immediately. As much as it hurts to say this, I think it may be a necessary evil.
I tend to have the line always one. Not using it though. I used that a lot in the beginning and left it on. Doesnt bother me a bit. Weither its the wrong or good line shouldnt be a issue. Its a tool for newbie`s to learn the track. Its a helpfull tool which should be forced on the first 100km on each track a newbie cames along. That would saves a lot of unecessary crashes.

Thats why it isnt about the line is good or bad, its about learning the track.
When you start learning the curves, feel of the car you always push to get your laps down. How can you do that only by knowing the track. How can you learn it rather simple, by using the line. So yes press 4 if youre uncertain. But dont use it as a race line because there faster lines on a track.
Quote from niels1 :I tend to have the line always one. Not using it though.

Turn it off, see how much you really don't use it.
I usually don't use it, but in some situations I have used it to see how I place my car compared to the racing line. Sometimes the lines seems to make me get faster (if I follow them) , and sometimes not. Guess you just have to test out, but they are great as an indicator on "ok" lines to use.
#44 - JJ72
Quote from pik_d :Yeah, but on public servers people pretty much demand that noobs know where to brake and drive immediately. As much as it hurts to say this, I think it may be a necessary evil.

Doesn't hurt dropping back in early races just to see how you are driving and what pace you are at, works in the old days for me.
#45 - STF
You can see it in an instant when a player is using it. I personally don`t use it.. and it doesn`t bother me others use it.
Makes them predictable and you know where they`ll be slow.

I`ll rather have a guy following "the line", than one entering the corner at 30+ kph more taking out 2 guys.

Shouldn`t this line be "on" by default, for fresh lfs installs? Or at least for demo.
Quote from J@tko :I always have it on. I've no idea why, it's not like I actually use it really. I think it makes it easier for me to find my braking points.

Same here. I almost never use the braking points(I do when I am in noobing mood:razz. For some reason,when I have the lines turned on,I race better( I don't follow the lines almost at all). But,when I have the lines turned off,I don't race so well.
Ive always played this game with the green line showing, since the first day, I just cant race properly without it I can get within 0.5-1sec of WR's but when I turn off the line I start going slower and missing my braking/turning points, its just so much easier to get the picture of the track when you got the line there.
The racing line is mostly accurate, In my opinion its just the physics of LFS ins some track parts that allow a faster line like some of the chicanes in Fern Bay. These can be taken continuously at unrealistic speeds without braking anything, time and time again.

When driving to improve my laptimes I have it off after a while, since somehow you unconsciously focus on it and don't push it any further. But when racing I leave it on to help me know my exact position on the track. Somehow only the visual feedback from the computer screens don't really convey that information/feeling properly.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG