The online racing simulator
Do you guys turn on the f4 for lane assist?
Hi, simmers.
I usually turned on the f4(?) button which is lane assist line.
MY best lap is 1:34.80 on black wood.
When I turned it off, felt very unsterilized and different feeling.
So I just wonder that you guys turn it on when you do the online racing?

Should I turn it off eventually for better race?

Thanks.
In which car do you have that time? XFG?

And I don't have the '4' - racing line - turned on while racing, I already know the track But if you're a beginner, it's quite recommended.
You're better off never using it. Ever. In many instances, that line is just plain wrong.

Learn how to learn a track the proper way by picking out reference points. Watching a WR replay can help too, just be aware they'll be able to brake later, take corners faster, and accelerate sooner than you.
Quote from Flame CZE :In which car do you have that time? XFG?

And I don't have the '4' - racing line - turned on while racing, I already know the track But if you're a beginner, it's quite recommended.

Yes, I am on XFG. SLOW LOL
Quote from Forbin :You're better off never using it. Ever. In many instances, that line is just plain wrong.

I was of the understanding that the green line in the '4' display was in fact the racing line, how can the racing line be wrong??
It's often not the proper line. There's a better/faster one.
Is there something like this for Lfs ?

I remember there was a thread to name the corners, but i think it never was finished
Attached images
Brazilian-Grand-Prix-Circuit-2010.jpg
Quote from coors68 :Yes, I am on XFG. SLOW LOL

Well, my PB is 1:34.40. , while the world record is 1:32.94. It's not that slow.
Quote from Ger Roady :Is there something like this for Lfs ?
I remember there was a thread to name the corners, but i think it never was finished

Do you mean corner names? Then no...
#10 - troy
The '4' line is definitely not wrong, generally speaking. It is meant as a tool to show newcomers what a racing line is, and how a good baseline looks on a specific track. It might seem inconceivable to a seasoned racer, but yes, people not familiar with motor racing tend to not know even such basic things as the ideal line. Sure, if you want to get competitive, that line is useless, but that line was not meant for replicating WRs in the first place.

Once you plan on doing online races, you shouldn't have to rely on this line at all. If you're still confused / not clear about how this basic principle of racing works then you're not fit for online competition, to put quite bluntly.
I think he meant more along the lines of critical braking/overtaking zones on a map rather than names or numbers of corners.
i use it some times , but not for the actuall line its self , mostly just for breaking points even though after 1 or 2 laps i ajust my self to it
Quote from danthebangerboy :I think he meant more along the lines of critical braking/overtaking zones on a map rather than names or numbers of corners.

No i mean it as a recommendation for gear and speed in the corners. That could be some help for beginners. Yes ,it must be different for every car, but it was some help for me .( looooong GP2 time ago ).

You remember Link there was also a racing line (0.59 sec)
Quote from Forbin :It's often not the proper line. There's a better/faster one.

It isn't really meant to be the fastest line, it's just the line that the AI follow, and an easy beginning point for learners.
Use the line, don't use the braking points or anything like that. I know someone thats significantly placed on the hotlap chart and he uses the race line . Ive always wondered though if you could get it to display the wr line and braking points?
That line is cheating and shouldn't be allowed.

I've never actually used it so I don't know if it's fast (didn't know it was F4, I think my F4 says "You're a chump and I'm amazing, be as amazed at my amazingness as I am astounded at your chumpiness") but it's certainly plenty lame.
Quote from thisnameistaken :That line is cheating and shouldn't be allowed.

The racing line is mostly giving a player the equivalent of more visible braking markers that are not as easily seen on a typical computer monitor playing a racing game versus the real world. I would compare it to the exaggerated tire sounds that are not realistic, but give a player a sense of when the tires are at the limits to compensate for the lack of forces that would be felt in a real world situation. From what I read, iRacing exaggerates the visual yaw (oversteer) from the in car view during a race, but yaw isn't really happening and it doesn't show up in the replays. NFS Shift exaggerates the yaw even more, and it does show up in the replays, so my guess is that they've exaggerated the tire's slip angle physics. There's a trade off between total realism and playablity in a racing game.
Quote from JeffR :From what I read, iRacing exaggerates the visual yaw (oversteer) from the in car view during a race, but yaw isn't really happening and it doesn't show up in the replays.

I'm going to use that as the excuse for why I was so crap at iRacing.
Quote from thisnameistaken :That line is cheating and shouldn't be allowed.

How do you figure that it's cheating?

Everyone has the ability to turn it on so no one can get an unfair advantage by using it.
Many faster drivers say that there are faster lines, someone even has said it in this thread, so it doesn't bring beginners up to fast drivers speed.

Why not give a beginner a chance to stay up with the back of the pack?

Just because you know the racing line why deprive someone who is new to racing the oportunity to learn about racing lines?

Are you really that insecure in your own abilities that you want beginners not to be given a helping hand?
Quote from menantoll :How do you figure that it's cheating?

Everyone has the ability to turn it on so no one can get an unfair advantage by using it.

It's still lame though.

Quote from menantoll :Are you really that insecure in your own abilities that you want beginners not to be given a helping hand?

Yes.
Quote from menantoll :Are you really that insecure in your own abilities that you want beginners not to be given a helping hand?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Yes.

See that XRT in his avatar? It took him weeks to go long enough in a straight line without crashing to record that.
The F4 line may teach the the racing line for offline practice. For racing online I would suggest being more aware of the cars around you rather than trying to focus on a green line. The only lines I like are white lines on a smooth surface
I always have it on. I've no idea why, it's not like I actually use it really. I think it makes it easier for me to find my braking points.
Quote from thisnameistaken :It's still lame though.

Being Lame and cheating are worlds apart. Personally I don't think it's even lame but that's just my opinion. We are, of course, both entitled to our opinion.

Quote from thisnameistaken :Yes.

If this is not a joke then I feel very sorry for you. I really do.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG