The online racing simulator
PC cutting out after few seconds
(46 posts, started )
Quote from DavidTiger :the 9800GT Green Edition only needs a minimum of 450w

Eh, mine 9800GT worked fine on 350W PSU. Core i7 system with GTX 295 doesn't needs more than 600W. It's just marketing, so PSU manufacturers can sell more shit.
Quote from Shadowww :Eh, mine 9800GT worked fine on 350W PSU. Core i7 system with GTX 295 doesn't needs more than 600W. It's just marketing, so PSU manufacturers can sell more shit.

Not necessarily. Some PSUs actually suck, and create a lot of heat. If it is not efficient, you may need like 1000W to do something that a high quality 500W could do. They don't want to get in shit for posting wrong requirements.

Imagine someone trying to run LFS on a Pentium 2, and some crappy 3 Accel card because the devs said it would work (but at minimum resolutions and detail)?

But I can imagine the video card manufacturers and PSU vendors trying to work together to earn some extra money.

BTW, I've seen people running 8800GTs (65nm) in a conventional C2D rig with a minimal 350W PSU. It is possible, but you'd always want some extra juice, just in case. You don't wanna bring a $300 card (hey, it costed that much back then =D) down with a PSU that you paid $15 off eBay for. Kinda like going on the highway with some crappy old Civic that has like 60HP at 5000 RPM. You won't have the juice to overtake people to change lanes... Kinda dangerous if you think about it...

EDIT: Sorry for replying to original question. If your PC could run with an original 9800GT, and not with this one which uses less power, then chances are either your PSU can damaged (maybe when you removed it without grounding yourself), or that your current 9800GT is a lemon.

If it works in your dad's computer, then maybe your PSU is damaged. If that is not the problem, and you try maybe a video card that uses more power than your current GPU (green 9800gt), and it works, then it can be your PCs drivers.

Do a full reformat to be safe, even though I can't see same GPUs from different vendors using different drivers. Is your PC PCIe 2.0 / 1.1 capable. Is it possible that your old GPU got a BIOS flash to run on PCIe 1.0, and your current one isn't, thus compatiability issues?
talking about the 8800gt with a c2d on a 350W psu

this doesn't say nothing

there are 8800gt cards with power consumption from 50W to 110W.

so a 50W 8800gt with a 65W c2d (you said typical setup so no 'extreme' or whatever, but even with a 100W c2d) will live just fine with a 350W psu.

with that out of the way let's go to the next issue

the 9800gt that uses only the power from the pcie bus, strains the pcie bus power supply (and everything this implies)

the 9800gt that has a 4/6/8 pin connector, does not get all the power it needs from the pcie power supply alone.

so the fact that it needs less power doesn't say much.

i say again:

try your father's psu in your machine.

just for shits and giggles.
I never said it was an extreme case, but we are talking about how a 720W (or w/e) PSU isn't running a 9800GT if the PSU was the problem.

It was never supposed to be adressed as an issue, but talking about tolerance of quality and no name PSUs, and other variables that may apply such as overclocking. All in all, trying to run an expensive PC on a crappy PSU to save $10 isn't going to get you anywhere. It is damn right stupid, and if anything fails, you might bring down your whole system with you.

RE: Yeah, basically to check every signle possibility, attempt to single them out. If you think it is the PSUs problem, put your dad's PSU in your setup, but only CHANGING the PSUs. If it works, than your PSU is screwd. If not, then move onto the motherboard. Try your PSU on your dad's motherboard with the 9800GT plugged in. If that isn't the problem, then back to the whiteboard.

I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't be working, because it works on your dad's motherboard, and your PSU, and your dad's PSU and your motherboard, but not your PSU and your motherboard. - Such if this actually happens, something is wrong. Your rig might not have enough juice to push out the things attached to your motherboard (if this happens.)

You see, I think it is worth going through all the diagnostic. It isn't a big hassle, taking into consideration the cost of the 9800GT. I don't know the procedure of RMA'ing nor have I done it before, but I guess the diagnostic might be less hassle-some then doing the RMA. You'd definitely have to wait some time before being able to play the games that you can only play on a 9800GT or above, such that the IGP sucks @ss. Nothing against IGP though.
why do you say "i never said it was an extreme case" ?

he has an 'ezcool' psu. those are not good. i think he isn't reading this thread anymore, i've already asked him twice to try switching the psu. it's been a week.
Lol George. Yeah, I should just give up, shouldn't I?
The card was faulty. My dad switched his pc on this morning and smelt burning. So he took the card out and low and behold it was what smelt like it was on fire. It had been working fine before then.

oh yeah this is my motherboard http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?Model=K10N78-1394
Quote from GenesisX :Lol George. Yeah, I should just give up, shouldn't I?

Quote from Luke.S :asrock

another smiley-only (tm) (r) post.
asus owns asrock yeah yeah yeah yeah i've heard that one. in fact i was the one saying it to others. later on, i understood that ownership means absolutely nothing. if the mobos were good enough to be sold under the asus brand they would be sold under the asus brand.

i was overclocking mobile bartons on an asrock socket A mobo right around when you started school. it had a via chipset so yeah it was as crappy as possible but i did get some sweet overclocks out of it... volt modding the barton was fun... where was i?

oh yeah...
Quote :asrock

just make sure it fails before the warranty goes out.
Quote from george_tsiros :asus owns asrock yeah yeah yeah yeah i've heard that one. in fact i was the one saying it to others. later on, i understood that ownership means absolutely nothing. if the mobos were good enough to be sold under the asus brand they would be sold under the asus brand.

i was overclocking mobile bartons on an asrock socket A mobo right around when you started school. it had a via chipset so yeah it was as crappy as possible but i did get some sweet overclocks out of it... volt modding the barton was fun... where was i?

oh yeah...

just make sure it fails before the warranty goes out.

just one thing. My old mobo has an nforce 4 chipset(to get an idea of the age since the newest is nforce 9). I had it about 3-4 years ago and it still works now. I only replaced it cause i needed a mobo which would support a phenom 2
my family had a fiat panda. a "panda young".

after about ten years, we sold it.

it is still being used, i can see it being driven around my home town, twenty years later (after we sold it).

yeah i would drive it, given the opportunity... but: can you say that it ever was a good car?

Quote :fiat

Quote :asrock

can you see the reasoning behind my reaction now?
Well the replacement has been replaced but my dad has ordered me a gts250 and he is having the 9800gt.
there's no way the card is getting enough power through pci-e alone. This one cut out too. It must be my pci-e socket has lower power than the one on the nforce 4 chipset board. Good job the gts 250 has a power supply sockt
the pcie interface is supposed to provide 65 W (or 75 W, i don't remember exactly)

if a card sucks more than that, it has that socket (or more than one).

if it needs less, it might have that socket, it might not. (the 256MB 3850 i had, before i got the 4850, is a 63 W card, but it had the connector)

i don't reject the possibility that some mobos aren't designed to provide the full wattage specified in the pcie standard.
shoop da woop my new gts 250 works
I know the issue is solved now but I just wanted to mention a common misunderstanding of PSUs. Just because a PSU has a higher overall Wattage rating doesn't mean it will actually be able to supply the current required for a specific mobo or graphics card etc on a specific rail output.

Changing PSUs is NOT as simple as just swapping a 300W one for a 400W one for example. I've seen plenty of higher rated PSUs that deliver less current to one of the 12v rails than lower rated ones for example.

Taking the requirements of the card in question:

"Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A)."

It's the bold bit that's the important part, not the overall wattage of the PSU. If you look at the detailed specs of different PSUs you may very well find 500 or 550W PSUs that can't supply 26A on the 12v rail. Then conversely you may well find another 400W model that can.

Just something to be aware of when choosing a PSU.
thats the only reason i got this psu
Your PCI-E does not deliver all the power to the card. Thats why it went down like 30-60 after booting.

Some motherboards have extra molex conector to deliver more power to PCI-E slot. Check if you have it and if yes then try to connect it with the PSU. It should work then.
someone didn't read the thread where it said that card has no power connector. I use a GTS 250 now anywau.

PC cutting out after few seconds
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG