The online racing simulator
Will the locked-diff / knoblies be gone with the new tyre physics?
Ok, title says it all. I really hope this will happen. It just doesn't feel right to drive locked diff and knoblies in the rear, BUT it gives me an advantage of about a second... and the set wasn't even optimized for locked diff - just the RACE_S - and I'm absolutely not used to drive locked diff yet.
So you have the most realistic racing game but you have to make the car feel unrealistic to be competitive. That's ugly, really.
I wonder why this hasn't been addressed by the devs earlier. Easy fix would've been to disable locked diff and hybrids for street-circuits.
Pure speculation until the masses can try the changes out.
of course you're right. but maybe a dev will pop in and give a hint.
Quote from Bandit77 :
I wonder why this hasn't been addressed by the devs earlier. Easy fix would've been to disable locked diff and hybrids for street-circuits.

That's just masking the problem.

Better to leave it open and let everyone find the loopholes so they can be found and fixed for real.
Quote from Mattesa :That's just masking the problem.

Better to leave it open and let everyone find the loopholes so they can be found and fixed for real.

maybe for a week, but not for years.
But how many laps can you do whilst still retaining an advantage over the other tyres? Don't the knobblies burn out within a few laps?
The real reason that these exploits are advantageous is the fact that most races are short 4-5 lap sprints. You need to get the tire up to temperature as quick as possible just to get a good lap in. Longer races require a smoother drive with minimum tire wear.
maybe that's true for the tyre bit, but not for the locked diff.
#9 - Byku
By getting rid of locked diffs, devs would cure the symptom, not the cause. The problem is not with locked diffs but with physics right now. Oh... and using locked diff is not unrealistic... it might be impractical (in some conditions).
Why would you want locked diffs and knobblys removed from LFS anyway, as they are used in real life racing all the time, although i do agree that knobblys on a tarmac track shouldn't be possible as that would never happen IRL, rallycross tracks only.

Some will say that locked diffs on tarmac shouldn't be allowed, but they should IMO, as i have personally driven both FWD and RWD cars with locked and open diffs on a variety of different surfaces and i don't care what anyone else says about it, a locked diff DOES help in real life , regardless of which end of the car the drive wheels are at.

Fair enough, you do get more understeer, but you also get better pull out of the corners with a locker in there as both wheels are doing the driving, and not just the inside wheel spinning it's heart out, which is what happens with an open diff.
V8 Supercars (Australia's premier touring car class and a true world class series) runs RWD cars with a locked diff. So the option shouldn't be removed entirely, but it should be possible to make a better setup in most conditions by using the clutch pack LSD over the locked diff (less understeer, better tyre life etc).
Quote from danthebangerboy :locked diffs

Quote :locker

Imo it's not as simple as locked diff vs no locked diff. To me, a locked diff is a diff that's locked all the time. A locker diff is one which is fully locked under power, but not fully locked under coasting/braking. 100% power side locking is definitely realistic in tarmac racing, some RWDs have a fully locked diff (e.g. V8 supercars). 100% coast locking on an FWD sounds like a terrible idea to me, but I don't know about that. There are also suspension design considerations, a locked diff in a MacP'n rear suspension doesn't behave the same way as it would in a live axle system.
I meant permanantly locked, as in taking the back of a diff casing off and welding all the planet gears together, that kind of locked!
A simple solution to this problem in my limited view rather than just removing this altogether would to add classes such as:

Locked Diff
Non locked

So server makers can put filters in so when people join a server that does not allow locked diff with a setup that has a locked diff they cannot enter.

No idea how such a system of similar would be able to add to some future version of lfs mind.
Unfortunately it does not work, because you can very easily set a preload that exceeds by far the maximum torque generated by the engine with the LSD drivetrain.
#16 - vari
Quote from Mille Sabords :Unfortunately it does not work, because you can very easily set a preload that exceeds by far the maximum torque generated by the engine with the LSD drivetrain.

As a side note, it needs to because the engine torque is multiplied by the gearbox. At 1:1 ratio the diff is kinda moot point anyways since it's about 4th gear in most cars. Besides, the engine/g-box isn't the only source of torque...
Quote from danthebangerboy :
Some will say that locked diffs on tarmac shouldn't be allowed, but they should IMO, as i have personally driven both FWD and RWD cars with locked and open diffs on a variety of different surfaces and i don't care what anyone else says about it, a locked diff DOES help in real life , regardless of which end of the car the drive wheels are at.

You would never choose to have a full locking all the time if you had the option of a perfect indestructible LSD though would you (assuming we're not talking about very high power endurance cars here)?
Quote from Bandit77 :Ok, title says it all. I really hope this will happen. It just doesn't feel right to drive locked diff and knoblies in the rear

Maybe I'm reading too much into the physics update report, but I think it suggests locked diffs will become a thing of the past. With anti-dive/anti-squat, and realistic sets, even open diffs may become more interesting!

BTW if you were referring to hybrids, I think Scawen in the past said that they're supposed to be made of a high grip race compound that offers more grip than road_normal.

However I would expect hybrids to wear out quite fast if used for long stints on tarmac-only tracks, whereas I seem to remember they will easily last more than 100 laps on BL1.

If limited setups will be a solid, viable alternative with widespread server support, it will only help driving LFS back to its stated mission of realistic simulation.

All in all, the update report pushes all the right buttons for me, and ATM the main problem is just /when/ we will be allowed to drive the new version - with all this waiting and delaying (in nKp as well) I'm really very close to the point when I pack and shelf all of my simulation equipment
Quote from NightShift :Maybe I'm reading too much into the physics update report, but I think it suggests locked diffs will become a thing of the past. With anti-dive/anti-squat, and realistic sets, even open diffs may become more interesting!

Yes mate, that really sounded fantastic, didn't it?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG