The online racing simulator
Live for Speed S2, version Z25
(420 posts, closed, started )
Quote from RasmusL :I know this really isn't a test patch issue, but I don't know where else to put it
Will the next major patch also change how the clutch works? Because I've been annoyed by a long time by how linear it is - not like a real clutch which basically does nothing except in the middle of the movement, where it engages. So basically more 'tightness' instead of linear disengaging.

I find it works exactly as it should with my G25 pedals, the clutch engagement point is at ~65% pedal travel and from there to fully engaged it feels pretty much like a real clutch, except for the difference in physical resistance but that's clearly not LFS's fault.
Maybe I am just fooled by the physical resistance in the pedal, which could clearly be improved But even tiny movements in either end of the pedal (fx. 95% or 5% pressure) affect the clutch - it doesn't really in my car :b
Quote from LRB_Aly :Plain Z or Z25? Actually I installed a fresh Z copy 2 weeks ago. Still had the problem, bur gonna try again. Back in a minute

P.S. Nope same in fresh Z install

Sounds to me like an ISP problem, I had a similar problem a few weeks ago (but not the same) in that I suddenly couldn't connect to anything LFS. The forums, main site or the master server. It took my ISP the best part of a week to track down the problem and resolve it. I've learnt from experience that if you haven't changed anything since the last time you know it has worked then it will be almost 100% certain that it's an ISP problem
Quote from RasmusL :Maybe I am just fooled by the physical resistance in the pedal, which could clearly be improved But even tiny movements in either end of the pedal (fx. 95% or 5% pressure) affect the clutch - it doesn't really in my car :b

It afects the dlutch axis, but the clutch wont engage/disengage with those little moves
Yes it will Hold still, move the clutch a TINY bit (just past the deadzone.. you can use the f9 view with pedal bars).. You will begin rolling.
Oh and while we're at it, engine braking is ridiculously low :b Just happened to notice this while experimenting now xD
Quote from RasmusL :Yes it will Hold still, move the clutch a TINY bit.. You will begin rolling.

Then something is wrong with your calibration
Quote from RasmusL :[..]
Oh and while we're at it, engine braking is ridiculously low :b Just happened to notice this while experimenting now xD

Uh huh.
Maybe we need to bump an old improvement suggestion or make one if there isn't.. But maybe we have to wait for after the new patch comes, I don't know

Sorry for off-topic, but this is something that makes me feel like I'm in some sort of a... uhh ... game
Quote from morpha :Then something is wrong with your calibration

Nope, he's right... LfS' clutch is completely linear... If it's not on your end, you might have calibrated it differently or used DXTweak to shorten the virtual travel of your clutch
Quote from bbman :Nope, he's right... LfS' clutch is completely linear... If it's not on your end, you might have calibrated it differently or used DXTweak to shorten the virtual travel of your clutch

No DXTweak nor Profiler tweak, I can clearly see the axis bar move as expected, but the ingame clutch bar is different. It's not a calibration issue on my side either, I recalibrated to make sure.
See the attached screenshot. The axis is at roughly 65%, yet the clutch is still fully disengaged. The calibration is definitely over the full axis range.
Attached images
lfsclutch.jpg
You probably forgot to unlock your calibration. Recalibrating without unlocking is useless.

This is how I'm calibrating clutch pedal in LFS to be working only in the middle of the pedal travel.
- Unlock the calibration.
- Press pedal to the position where I want it to the fully disengage
- Click C on the clutch axis
- Depress the pedal to the position where I want to have bite point
- Press a little to locate the pedal between above two points
- Lock the calibration.
After that I have the real behaving clutch.
No, LFS has changed this some while ago. Calibrate the clutch pedal completely normal, without any special calibration / axis locking tricks nor DxTweak adjustments.

Now go out on the track. This is important, as it only shows when you're actually in a car. You're free to open the options / axis assignment page while doing this.

Fully press the clutch and slowly let it come. For the first 1/3 of travel on the yellow bar shown in the options the blue clutch bar in the lower right won't move one bit. Only the last 2/3rds actually affect the car's clutch, which then acts pretty much linear.

I repeat, you do not need the manual bitepoint calibration trick any more. It's built into LFS itself!
Quote from yaper :You probably forgot to unlock your calibration. Recalibrating without unlocking is useless.

It's impossible too, "recalibrate axes" automatically unlocks the axes
Hi,
Returning to LFS

About this new patch, I've been wondering if it's possible to have virtual monitors ? Maybe it's possible to have small virtual left-view and right-view monitors as we have a virtual rear-view mirror ? In short, we would have "3 virtual rear-view mirrors" : 1 showing the rear (normal), 1 showing the right and 1 showing the left.

If it is not possible, has it already been suggested before ?

Thanks and regards
Arrrgl, called my ISP and they gave me their standart answer: We´re testing your line, .... .... .... Your line is fine, the problem is not on our side, but we´re sending a technician. Now I ´ve told them that on an other ohone line my material works fine it´s just on our line that it doesn´t work.

P.S. i hate them, not first time I had problems with the, either for an one problem or for a problem of one of my clients, always talking controversial things on phone. unfortunately ther isn´t much choice here in Luxemburg.

P.P.S At the end I always find out that it was a problem on their side, that sucks (sorry) so much.
Quote from morpha :No DXTweak nor Profiler tweak, I can clearly see the axis bar move as expected, but the ingame clutch bar is different. It's not a calibration issue on my side either, I recalibrated to make sure.
See the attached screenshot. The axis is at roughly 65%, yet the clutch is still fully disengaged. The calibration is definitely over the full axis range.

The important part is indeed "Now go out on the track. This is important, as it only shows when you're actually in a car." from AndroidXP, because your car is probably standing still and the autoclutch is pressing the clutch. Disable autoclutch and it should even work when the car is standing (well you engine may die )
Quote from GeForz :The important part is indeed "Now go out on the track. This is important, as it only shows when you're actually in a car." from AndroidXP, because your car is probably standing still and the autoclutch is pressing the clutch. Disable autoclutch and it should even work when the car is standing (well you engine may die )

I'm not using and never have been using autoclutch and as you can see from my screenshot, I was out on the track.
Problem solved . As I mentioned it always turns out that it´s my ISP´s fault, and so it was. Somehow they enabled a (very restrictive) Firewall notice without notifying us (there is a hp to reach for every of their clients to look at settings like AntiSpam, AntiVirus, Firewall etc... .). Now I took a look at this homepage and it said that the Firewall wasn´t engaged, though it was engaged.
The guy on the phone just told me, well that happens from time to time.
That wouldn´t be a problem if the servcice was for nothing but it also costs.
I find it concerning that such things can happen without notification.

Anyway I´m back in the race and really happy that it´s all solved now.

P.S.: Thanks to all the people trying to help
Mini Bug
Quote from JasonJ :DHRammstein mentioned this problem he had with an ATi card. Do you have ATi by any chance? Maybe it's a common fault?

No, it's an nVidia card.

Quote from Funnybear :Have you happened to update Windows vista at about the same time. I am suffering the same thing, but, it's a vista update issue rather than LFS. I am still trying to get to the bottom of it myself, It's really messing up my lap times . . . .hehe.

LFS runs in Windows XP, I don't have Vista, only XP and 7. Also, absolutely nothing has changed other than the update.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, it only happens upon my own car losing grip, such as when drifting or if i over/understeer when racing.. (NOT at smoke, other cars can smoke all they want and it doesn't happen then)
This thread is closed

Live for Speed S2, version Z25
(420 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG