The online racing simulator
Operating System Poll
(226 posts, started )

Poll : Which operating system do you use for LFS?

Closed since :
Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Linux
Windows XP x64
Macintosh
Windows ME
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Server Longhorn (2008)
Server 2003
theres a mac version??? :eye-poppi
Snow Leopard

:hide:
Quote from GianniC :Windows Vista, just recently I'm using Windows 7 Pro and will continue to use that.

+1
Quote from bunder9999 :cider.

No. Cider tends to epically fail. You basically have the choice between Wine or Crossover (A highly customized version of Wine,with the focus on compatibility and ease of use)
Voted XP 32 (for all games). But am compelled to state I hate Windows for the grief it causes me and use Mac OS X for everything else conceivable. Thank you. Carry on..
I run LFS on the Win7RC partition on my Macbook Pro. But other than playing games, I run OSX
Windows 7 X64 home premium
Hi there,

finally got my XBox 360 controller (don't hit me, I like it) running under Linux, so everything is fine using wine (apart from shadows :shrug. No reason for me to stick with Win 7 any longer...

Bye, smurfer

edit: emphasized that it is just a personal opinion
Quote from smurfer :Hi there,
No reason to stick with Win 7 any longer...
Bye, smurfer

Oh there are aLOT reasons...
Quote from Bose321 :Oh there are aLOT reasons...

One of them is cost (>100 euros), right?

Dual boot: Win Vista Ultimate 64bit / Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
vista until I upgrade to 7
Since we use Linux at work and I use it at home while not playing games that much, there are not many reasons left for me (I edited my post above accordingly ).
But for others there may be of course plenty of reasons; everyone should use, what (s)he likes.
Vista

:hide:
Windows 7
Win 7-64

(Why are we saying these out loud since we already voted?)
(:
I use Windows XP but think to pass on Win 7
Holy moly...just 5 people out there using a Mac? Come on, racers!
Quote from Scawen :If you have Windows 7 64 bit please just click Windows 7.

I included XP x64 because I am told that wasn't really XP, but this is not the case with 64 bit Vista and 7.

I assume lfs won't be available in 64-bit version anytime soon?

edit:
Curious why some people want to move from vista to win7. Its exactly the same operating system, but the gui and frontend has been tweaked in win7 that' s all;vista+updates=win7. Just like W2K and XP, but the difference in case of vista/win7 is even smaller. So why move to win7 and spent money for a new license? What is the big advantage in it?
Quote from Bluebird B B :I assume lfs won't be available in 64-bit version anytime soon?

edit:
Curious why some people want to move from vista to win7. Its exactly the same operating system, but the gui and frontend has been tweaked in win7 that' s all;vista+updates=win7. Just like W2K and XP, but the difference in case of vista/win7 is even smaller. So why move to win7 and spent money for a new license? What is the big advantage in it?

Why would it? There's no need for 64bit integers or more than 4GB address space
Quote from Bluebird B B :I assume lfs won't be available in 64-bit version anytime soon?

edit:

It's not the same. It just looks the same, they did that because vista looked good. Seven also RUNS great. And has DX11 .

edit:

Because Vista was awful, slow, clunky and intrusive, whereas 7 is actually pretty good, it feels a lot quicker (even if it actually isn't), intuitive and barely ever intrusive.

Sure, the underlying kernal might be similar/identical, but so what? Plenty of cars share the same floorpan and end up totally different to drive.
Quote from tristancliffe :Because Vista was awful, slow, clunky and intrusive, whereas 7 is actually pretty good, it feels a lot quicker (even if it actually isn't), intuitive and barely ever intrusive.

Sure, the underlying kernal might be similar/identical, but so what? Plenty of cars share the same floorpan and end up totally different to drive.

Not a really wel argumented post.
turnoff uac and vista and you're 90% on your way into making it really usefull. People like to forget many, many users demanded protection against themselves from microsft, that's why the awfull uac was introduced.

If you already own vista, you know what to do.
With windows7 you just get vista with a tweaked gui. Vista got blamed for being slow, but tests show windows7 is usually exaclty as fast and sometimes just a bit slower than vista.
Ugly? Did you take a good look at xp? Totally teletubby's look after default install. But people are just used to it. xp, vista and win7 need tweaking to get the gui/look and feel working like you want it yourself.

you comparision with cars is a bit odd thought, on a car you get lots of different parts making it often different to drive.

Try again, name me some real advantages of win7 over vista, not in terms of awfull, ugly etc.

i can name one: after default install there is less gui tweaking needed in win7 which saves time. But is that really enough to spent money to migrate from vista to win7? I personally rarely have to reinstall windows. Average is at least 3-4 years and by that time the systems are outdated, sold of given to friends. So i would be spending time and money for ... what? What is the advantage over vista? What can i do better in win7 than in vista?

Operating System Poll
(226 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG