The online racing simulator
We shall remember them, 11/11
(29 posts, started )
A few days late, or early depending which way you look at it, but i for one will be paying my respects on the day itself, as i did yesterday on the official remembarance sunday.

This was the 1st rememberance sunday where there were no WW1 veterans left to be in attendance, as they have all gone now, true heroes IMO.

RIP to all who fought and made the ultimate sacrifice, past and present.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

11/11

Anyone else who has a kind of time to reflect on what has passed on this day, as i always have since i can remember really.
Indeed.

True masters.

Shall never forget them.

RIP lads.
#3 - 5haz
Much respect.
Nothing more to add than what Dan has already said. Thanks guys, never forgotten. RIP
Agreed with the above. One of the few things I will do every year without failure is wear a poppy and remember those who have fallen. The World wars people did, not what they wanted but what they had to do to defend this country to give us the freedom we have. For that they should be enternally remembered.

If there ever is a reminder of the cost of war it is seeing the rows upon rows of white crosses at places like Normandy.

To all those that have died - RIP.
Both of my grandads faught in WW2.

One was one of the first onto Sword beach, Market Garden and later helped in the Bulge. he died of cancer 6 years ago and was a true gentleman and never truly spoke of what he saw or did. When he died i looked through his box of army things and was surprised to find an iron cross first class and a lot of German Marks.

My other grandad was captured early on in the pacific and was in a POW camp for over 3 years. I never got a chance to talk to him as he died of cancer when i was only 3 or 4. i only ever saw him in bed in the last few months of his life. My dad later said they had to survive by catching monkeys and eating them.

Truly great men who can never recieve enough respect. Also we must remember the fallen germans, italians, japanese etc for a lot of them were just following orders. All men are equal in war and all men equally hate war.

Rest in peace all of you.
they fought a pointless war.

wwII - that was the shit.
that is sooooo sad. I give my deepest respects to them all. My grandpa fought in WW2 and I never knew it till he he was dead two years later. and irishnoob, I don't see any point in what you said at all, so I consider that a fail.
Quote from Greboth :Agreed with the above. One of the few things I will do every year without failure is wear a poppy and remember those who have fallen.
To all those that have died - RIP.

I do too, people at college think I'm weird for doing it, but what people of the young adult generation don't get I think is that they wouldn't be here if it wasn't for those brave soldiers who defended us.

I think it's sad that young people are very misinformed on history.

"To many they were saviours, to them it was their job.
On this day, remember those fallen soldiers, remember those alive.
If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be here,
doing what we do, being who we are.. 11/11/2009"
Quote from Xaid0n :I do too, people at college think I'm weird for doing it, but what people of the young adult generation don't get I think is that they wouldn't be here if it wasn't for those brave soldiers who defended us.

Really annoys me when people say on the 12th: "You don't 'need' to wear a poppy any more".

It's not like you should just rip you poppy off and sling it in the bin as soon as the 11th ends. They just seem to think that you should wear a poppy in remembrance ONLY on the Sunday and the 11th, and not for even a day or two afterwards

In my opinion, taking your poppy off immediately after the 11th and then actually telling other people to do it is just disrespectful. They're effectively saying "Sod the fallen soldiers, the 11th has passed"
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :that is sooooo sad. I give my deepest respects to them all. My grandpa fought in WW2 and I never knew it till he he was dead two years later. and irishnoob, I don't see any point in what you said at all, so I consider that a fail.

ive several relations who fought in it too... big whoop ?

its only a shitty war.
Quote from danthebangerboy :

This was the 1st rememberance sunday where there were no WW1 veterans left to be in attendance, as they have all gone now, true heroes IMO.

Sorry but WW1 veterans are NOT hereos, because they weren't conscripted, they faught cos it was advertized as a cool thing to do. It's their own fault they saw the things they did and got their legs blown off, their own fault for being so naiive.
Quote from BlueFlame :Sorry but WW1 veterans are NOT hereos, because they weren't conscripted, they faught cos it was advertized as a cool thing to do. It's their own fault they saw the things they did and got their legs blown off, their own fault for being so naiive.

It's a bit sad that anyone has such a complete lack of knowledge about either world war. As soon as it's forgotten it'll happen again.
Quote from BlueFlame :Sorry but WW1 veterans are NOT hereos, because they weren't conscripted, they faught cos it was advertized as a cool thing to do. It's their own fault they saw the things they did and got their legs blown off, their own fault for being so naiive.

I cannot believe you said that. Learn some history then come back.

Quote from durbster :It's a bit sad that anyone has such a complete lack of knowledge about either world war. As soon as it's forgotten it'll happen again.

Unfortunatly I agree, some song lyrics that seems fitting :

I don't think we learned a thing
Our history repeats
Will we heed these lessons?

Why can't we? When will we?
I don't think we want to learn
We won't be f**king happy
Until we destroy it all

Was this the war where men were forced to go off and fight? And if not they had to wear a diminishing, definately "uncool" badge that pretty much segregated them lower than dogs?

I added you to ignore about 2 years ago and you still manage to spew out such trollup.

Also a giant FML to all the people "flaming" world war one? This is a bloody rememberence topic now can we get back to doing that instead of argueing over it? Its unbeliveable how people act over the internet just because they can, if they said some of the things posted in here to a real war vet. Or a real family member, face to face, they'd probably get their heads knocked off.
#16 - 5haz

They were conscripted from 1916 onwards, anyone fit to fight who protested against it was labelled a 'consciencious objector' and usually thrown in jail.

Those who voulenteered to fight had nothing but good intentions, they felt it was their duty to defend king, country and empire (Dulce et decorum est blah blah blah), it was the way they had been conditioned almost since birth, and many of them were just out of school and had never been professional soldiers before, so how would they know any different? It had nothing to do with being 'cool' (remember this was back in the days when people still used to do things for the good of everyone, not just to improve their own image).

With the benefit of hindsight it very easy to point the finger, but if any one of us had been in the same situation we would've done the same no doubt. You can't blame these poor people for being so mislead, the blame and responsibility lies with the top brass who mislead them and remained ignorant of the true horror they were sending thousands of boys towards.

But no matter how mislead, you can't deny how brave they were.

WW1 was a unique period in history where military technology and killing power had advanced, but tactics had not, hence why it was such as disaster and also why hopefully full blown trench warfare wont happen again.

The internet has become a place where it is cool to be ultra cynical without reason all the time.
Well I was talking about America, but I guess this is a thread for english veterans only, sorry to rain on your segregated parade

Either way, there's soon going to be a day where there are no WW2 veterans left, don't see the big deal, I bought a Poppy, most of the people on here that I offend every time I post probably didn't.

What this world needs is another world war, to stop these children from crying when their Nintendo DS gets taken from them, plus it would be good for the economy afterwards and most of the tension in the world will thus be released.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well I was talking about America, but I guess this is a thread for english veterans only, sorry to rain on your segregated parade

Either way, there's soon going to be a day where there are no WW2 veterans left, don't see the big deal, I bought a Poppy, most of the people on here that I offend every time I post probably didn't.

What this world needs is another world war, to stop these children from crying when their Nintendo DS gets taken from them, plus it would be good for the economy afterwards and most of the tension in the world will thus be released.

Yeah I agree this world needs millions more people killing for no reason.
I know this is a rememberance thread but seriously WTF!

Quote from BlueFlame :Well I was talking about America, but I guess this is a thread for english veterans only, sorry to rain on your segregated parade

Its nothing to do with a segregated parade. Though armistice day is marked on the date of WW1, it is rememberance for anyone lost in war. No matter of country, who started it who won or who lost. In war everyone looses. So even if there was propaganda to make it 'cool' that was the administration that was in charge not the foot soilders fighting the war and it these who deserve to be remembered.

Quote :Either way, there's soon going to be a day where there are no WW2 veterans left, don't see the big deal, I bought a Poppy, most of the people on here that I offend every time I post probably didn't.

The big deal is that soon the world wars will pass out of living memory. Some of us still show respect by remembering and honouring those who fought for our freedom. But look over history, look at the trends. We should learn from our mistakes, though as soon as the incidents have passed out of memory it seems we just repeat the same mistakes again.

Quote :What this world needs is another world war, to stop these children from crying when their Nintendo DS gets taken from them, plus it would be good for the economy afterwards and most of the tension in the world will thus be released.

That is even worse than your initial post. The children crying over the DS need discipline but sending them to war, to see the horrors of war, to fight for their life is not the way. Its like sending a nuclear bomb to kill a fly, use a fly swatter. The economy would not be better, look at the economies of the countries after wars. So much money is spent on the war, through research and development, through munitions etc that more often than not it bankrupts the countries (the three biggest I can think of would be WW1, WW2 and cold war.) Nevermind the cost after the war of rebuilding the country.

In nearly 4 years of being on this forum, never have I felt the need to ignore someone until now.
Bankrupts the whole countries YES, do you not see why this is a good thing? The bankers are hording so much money from the government, if all countries went bankrupt we could literally, START again. Anyway, we do need another World War, for the good of the people. It's not as stupid as it sounds, plus war is what we humans do instinctively to control the population. War is what we are made to do as humans. I don't really pay respect to those fallen in a war because to me, most of the people that join (after WW2) just wanna kill people and mess with guns or to run away from their situation or the country, not many people join the forces and say that the reason they did it was to defend the UK, come invasion. However I do pay my respects to families and widows who are left without income and a family member.
There is so much wrong in that post that i do not even know where to start, so i won't even bother.

You really must just be an idiot.

Thats all i have to say on that matter.

Anyway, i think that this cartoon picture in the paper yesterday sums up the true end of a generation

Attached images
all gone.jpg
Bankers are only getting money because they are being given it. Yes, we will need to start again at some point, when people realise governments are the cause of the problems. It saddens me to see freedoms being eroded, and eventually they will have died in vain if we continue on our current path.
#23 - 5haz
Quote from BlueFlame :Bankrupts the whole countries YES, do you not see why this is a good thing? The bankers are hording so much money from the government, if all countries went bankrupt we could literally, START again. Anyway, we do need another World War, for the good of the people. It's not as stupid as it sounds, plus war is what we humans do instinctively to control the population. War is what we are made to do as humans. I don't really pay respect to those fallen in a war because to me, most of the people that join (after WW2) just wanna kill people and mess with guns or to run away from their situation or the country, not many people join the forces and say that the reason they did it was to defend the UK.

I doubt you would say the same if war came to your doorstep.
Blue Flame i would say i hope you are forced to go to war soon. But alas i would be just as bad a person for saying that. What do you think of the was in afghanistan then? sorry to go off topic. feel free to pm the reply. would make for some funny reading i imagine. "how not to think of life"
Quote from BlueFlame :Bankrupts the whole countries YES, do you not see why this is a good thing? The bankers are hording so much money from the government, if all countries went bankrupt we could literally, START again. Anyway, we do need another World War, for the good of the people. It's not as stupid as it sounds, plus war is what we humans do instinctively to control the population. War is what we are made to do as humans. I don't really pay respect to those fallen in a war because to me, most of the people that join (after WW2) just wanna kill people and mess with guns or to run away from their situation or the country, not many people join the forces and say that the reason they did it was to defend the UK, come invasion. However I do pay my respects to families and widows who are left without income and a family member.

You couldn't be more wrong, I suggest you watch the Ross Kemp in Afghanistan series.

http://www.youtube.com/user/disparrbadboy

(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG