The online racing simulator
The gloves are only what, 10lb or so? You can still feel knuckles through that, and when valuev's hand is as big as your face, that's gonna ****ing hurt.

Haye really hurt valuev with the punches in the later rounds, the slow mo replays we're crazy
If anything Boxing is the most brutal sport. The gloves help the fighters hit harder for longer. Without the gloves, the boxers would not be able to hit so hard without badly damaging their hands.
Quote from Intrepid :What do you mean by more brutal? Boxing is insanely brutal. You get constantly punched in the face for 12x 3 minute rounds. And these are full force punches. Whereas MMA you don't receive that kind of punishment, especially to the brain.

Now I don't want to argue who's tougher because it's pointless. it's quite clear MMA is growing in strength and boxing is on it's way out. However for some the purity of boxing and how you really do have to be smart is still sportingly attractive/

Oh come on..... Are you serious? More damaging? To the brain? Have you see the guys fight in MMA? Their freaking kicks have more impact than car crashes head on.....

If you lined up a boxer and an MMA style fighter, the boxer would have absolutely no chance. Why? Because he can only use his hands and not full body. Which is not what I call a fighting contest.

Quote from zeugnimod :Isn't it kinda creepy that you want to see people "properly fighting" each other and "being more brutal"? I can't understand that, tbh.

Well. I do Kickboxing myself. And I love it. Creepy or not, if the guys are gonna sort out who is the best in the ring, they might aswell do it properly.

Yeah, maybe brutal wasnt the word I was looking for, but still....

Quote from DejaVu :The gloves are only what, 10lb or so? You can still feel knuckles through that, and when valuev's hand is as big as your face, that's gonna ****ing hurt.

Haye really hurt valuev with the punches in the later rounds, the slow mo replays we're crazy

MMA grapling gloves (which they use to fight with) weigh in at 4ounces. That is not even 1lb....

Quote from Gills4life :If anything Boxing is the most brutal sport. The gloves help the fighters hit harder for longer. Without the gloves, the boxers would not be able to hit so hard without badly damaging their hands.

MMA fighters manage to do that just fine.

Look guys. All I was saying is that boxing has had its time. Its boring now.
Quote from DevilDare :
MMA fighters manage to do that just fine.

Look guys. All I was saying is that boxing has had its time. Its boring now.

But that is your opinion, not fact, and other people have the right to disagree. Punches come in flurries, kicks are not as fast. Boxers have gloves that allow them to punch harder for longer, over and over. Boxing is more brutal in my opinion.
#30 - 5haz
Quote from Gills4life :But that is your opinion, not fact, and other people have the right to disagree. Punches come in flurries, kicks are not as fast. Boxers have gloves that allow them to punch harder for longer, over and over. Boxing is more brutal in my opinion.

And its coming from the person who raged at me for 'pushing my opinions upon others', this place is so full of double standards sometimes. :rolleyes:

Fighting is brutal no matter which way you go about it, in my opinion.
Quote from DevilDare :Oh come on..... Are you serious? More damaging? To the brain? Have you see the guys fight in MMA? Their freaking kicks have more impact than car crashes head on.....

Boxing causes more deaths and brain injury than bare fisted fighting ever used to. The actual gloves protect the hand more so than the head of the opponent. So a boxer will recieve many more full blows to the head than other forms of fighting.

With this in mind something like 80% of boxers end up with some form of brain damage I recall.

In terms of walking out of the ring brutality MMA probably is more brutal because of the blood etc... but over a long period of time the effect to boxers, I imagine, is far greater.
Well...

As Gills said its my opinion.

So yeah.

This argument can go on for ever. Ever since someone brought up which is better MMA or boxing, people are still arguing about it. And I dont think a decision will be reached any time soon. Too completely different fighting contests.....

I was just laying out my points.
Quote from DevilDare :Creepy or not, if the guys are gonna sort out who is the best in the ring, they might aswell do it properly.

Having to "sort out who is the best in the ring" is ridiculous and stupid in the first place anyway but whatever.

Enough people watch it and the morons doing it get enough money so unfortunately, this "sport" still exists.
Quote from zeugnimod :Enough people watch it and the morons doing it get enough money so unfortunately, this "sport" still exists.

Sport is merely a substitute for war so boxing and MMA is as close to 'real sport' as you're going to get. If someone wants to have their face punched in who are we to stop them?
Quote from Intrepid :Sport is merely a substitute for war

You're right!

Quote from Intrepid :Boxing causes more deaths and brain injury than bare fisted fighting ever used to. The actual gloves protect the hand more so than the head of the opponent. So a boxer will recieve many more full blows to the head than other forms of fighting.

With this in mind something like 80% of boxers end up with some form of brain damage I recall.

This is correct. The gloves are there to protect the fighters hands, not there to protect the opponents head.

And boxing IS more brutal. Mostly because only thing you can do is to hit the opponents head for 12x3 minutes. That's got to take it's toll. Also what is really brutal is the 10 second count and standing 8 second count. Basically in boxing you are allowed to continue even after you have been knocked out, if you recover fast enough. That's what causes brain damage.

I don't see any reason to hate boxing like mr. Dare seems to do. I am a MMA fan though. I like it because it has all aspects of fighting instead of just one. Actually wish that a some of those good boxers would crossover to MMA, learn to defend takedowns and such. I am sure some of them could be forces to reckon with. That's not going to happen anytime soon though, because the money is at boxing.
Where did I say again I hate boxing?

My and my dad used to watch boxing every day many moons ago.

I love it. It used to be great. But now, I am saying that its no longer fun/good to watch. Its had its days.

Please do not put false words into my mouth.

Thanks.
Yeah and boxing is:

Punch > Run up to opponent > Hug > Wait until ref splits you up
Quote from zeugnimod :Ok...

... how else do you think it started?

Sporting competition started when instead of constant fighting tribes would do mass events of competition.
Quote from DevilDare :Yeah and boxing is:

Punch > Run up to opponent > Hug > Wait until ref splits you up

There was hardly any hugging in last nights fight actually. Haye fought a good game. I was impressed with the way he played it smart even when he is used to being the hard hitter. He looked good and danced around the ring, whereas Valuev was just edging himself forwards for the whole fight. I noticed that Valuev was in the centre of the ring for pretty much the whole fight while Haye just danced rings around him, catching him here and there with the odd jab which racked up the points. I do not normally watch boxing, or find it that interesting, but I enjoyed watching this fight because I could see the strategy to it, rather than just the all out knock seven shades of shit out of each other that I normally see.

You declare that boxing has had its day but is now boring as if that is fact. It's only your opinion, a lot of people will disagree with it. You shouldn't get so upset about it just because other people enjoy different things.
Quote from Intrepid :... how else do you think it started?

Sporting competition started when instead of constant fighting tribes would do mass events of competition.

It may have started like that but it certainly is a lot more than that today.
Quote from zeugnimod :It may have started like that but it certainly is a lot more than that today.

Is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q7TN0cnSdE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm4PFEE8C3o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeWehP9Uijc

Sport is an evolution from war and fighting. Some sports are further away from violence like Bowls for example, but I would bet a large amount of money fights have broken out on the village green.

Sport is a way to suppress violence, or a way to satisfy ones need to beat someone else.

Boxing, and MMA are controlled violence yes, but we could argue they are needed. The fact is violence is in many people's DNA and to suppress that by banning sports where they could express themselves in a controlled manner (MMA and Boxing) could do more harm than good.
#45 - 5haz
There is a difference between having a competetive opponent and having an opponent on the battlefield.

In sports, you beat them or they beat you, in war its a bit different; you kill them or they kill you.

The main difference is that sport is about being the best, while war is about survival.

A punch up at a sports game isn't anything like a war, I'm sure of that.
Quote from Intrepid :.....Sport is a way to suppress violence, or a way to satisfy ones need to beat someone else.

Boxing, and MMA are controlled violence yes, but we could argue they are needed. The fact is violence is in many people's DNA and to suppress that by banning sports where they could express themselves in a controlled manner (MMA and Boxing) could do more harm than good.

I have to agree there is definitely an element of truth to that. Just taking Football and Rugby as two similar sports as an example, and comparing the relative levels of violence on the pitch and in the stands amongst the spectators. There is defitely an (inverse) correlation there between the levels of violence in the sport itself and the people watching it.

As far sports where the actual objective is to inflict violence on your opponent is concerned though, I think that's where the correlation starts to become direct again. I've yet to meet anyone that was really "into" boxing or MMA/UFC etc that weren't on the agressive side personality wise. By which I mean no-one I've met has ever not been at least slightly prone to agressive confrontation, (even if just in the form of words). I'm not convinced that the "sports" in question don't encourage such attitudes.

Having said that, it does strike me as interesting that when talking about the actual sports people themselves it does appear to be predomanantly Footballers, (relatively none violent sport), and Boxers (rather violent sport), that end up on the wrong end of the law with regards to violent acts they commit outside their sports.
Quote from gezmoor :I'm not convinced that the "sports" in question don't encourage such attitudes.

If boxing encourages people to be violent then by the same token LFS encourages people to drive fast on the roads? Should this very sim be banned?
I would say the boxing is one of the most dangerous sports, due to the obvious localised punching to the head, as its the easiest way to achieve a knockout.

I do still like to watch boxing now and again as i have a mate who boxes, but something i saw in 1995 kind of put me off boxing quite a bit, it was the Nigel Benn v Gerald McClellan fight.

For those that dont know, McClellan knocked benn down and out of the ring in the 1st round, and dropped him once more in the 8th, he was dominating (imo) that fight and was doing very well however benn recovered and continued, mcclellan was then knocked down on one knee in the 10th, but got up and continued, before falling back to his knees again and he looked very uneasy.

Benn was given the win as it was classed as a KO, but McCllelan then fell unconscious in the ring, was taken to hospitial, breifly regained conciousness in the ambulance (for long enough to rip off his oxygen mask) before falling into a coma for 2 weeks.

This is how Gerald McClellan was 6 years after the fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGz-unNi1dU&NR=1

As i say though, it is a risk you take, so a case of seeing both sides of the coin i guess.

my mate i mentioned earlier is pat mcaleese, who turned pro 18 months or so ago in the light middleweight category, he is very good, some say he has a similar style to ricky hatton, but im not so good at judging techniques, all i know is he can fight! http://www.newmarketjournal.co ... leese-ready-to.5639946.jp

Thats very sad...
Kick boxing, thai boxing, mma and all the other ones are way better than boxing imo. Boxing is just boring, they just walk around eachother and sometimes throw a punch and they don't use their legs.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG