The online racing simulator
Classical music
(23 posts, started )
Classical music
Hello

Was wondering how many of us here enjoy some classical music?

I have been listening to it off and on for a few years now and have come to adore it. need some good stuff to listen to, so give me many composers to listen to please.

is my all time favourite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miOkyEFezGc

Also Beethoven's 9th is purely amazing. as you can tell Beethoven is god to me.
I prefer Bach, he had much better graphics and physics engine.
I'm up for some Neo-Classical Music like this
#5 - vari
Absolutely!! As a very loose genre, it's great!! I've always enjoyed Holst personally. The Planets are very well known.
I enjoy it from time to time, but don't really know anything about it. I can however play the first 50 seconds of Fur Elise on piano, but don't play or have a piano...

Mostly I find myself tuning to classical radio in the car when I don't feel like any of the other stations. My problem is that when I hear something I like, by the time I've gotten home, I've forgotten "Chopin - Prelude for piano No. 15 in D flat major ('Raindrop') Op. 28-15, B. 107-10," so I can never find it again...
Quote from Stefani24 :I'm up for some Neo-Classical Music like this

Apart from the selection of video, pretty much exactly what I was going to post
I love anykind of music, everything, exept those disney channel gays and bitches. wat.
The only classical music i've listened to properly is from movie soundtracks. Two films in particular that have brilliant classical music, The Shawshank Redemption and Enemy At The Gates.

So i've just read, James Horner (who composed and conducted the music for Enemy At The Gates) has done music for many many films.

I can only really remember those two and if they're anything to go by, the rest must kick arse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J ... orner#List_of_film_scores
I have my favourites, and I took classical piano classes for year (kept practising on my own after that). This one's fantastic:
Peer Gynt Suite 1, Edvard Grieg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIYT-MrVaI

Quote from aroX123 :I love anykind of music, everything, exept those disney channel gays and bitches. wat.

The original Fantasia was was brilliant, and by Disney
#13 - w126
De La Soul qualifies as classical music now, 3 Feet High came out in the late '80s.

I used to go out with a girl who was studying proper music, she was a violinist and conductor and quite foxy. Anyway, yeah, out of the stuff she made me listen to I most liked Mussorgsky and Tchaikovsky.
Wagner all the way. And not in the sense that I just listen to Ride Of The Valkyries now and then. Actually I hate those superpopular things.
Not quite my thing, but I'm enjoying music aka Hans Zimmer and such, aswell that I played a instrument in a band (or what the name is..korps?) for 5 years. Baritone was the intrument called if I remember right.
I'm very much into classical music, but tend towards the more 20th C modern classical, and I prefer American 'New Music' over much of the traditional European Avante Garde, but that's just generally speaking.

What I really enjoy about this stuff is how radical it can be. We tend to think that radical music is something which probably happened along with and after rock n roll, but modern classical (since the beginning of last Century) is where you'll find some really thrilling, really extreme kinds of music, almost unimagined by a lot of newer bands that pass for radical musicians these days.

Anyway, here's a quick list (of some composers I like)-

Charles Ives
Olivier Messiaen (check out the crazy theremin action!)
Igor Stravinsky
Krzysztof Pendereki
Michael Gordon
John Adams
Glenn Branca
Terry Riley
Steve Reich
Rhys Chatham

Of course, you can't go wrong with Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, etc.. either.
This is my experience of classical music

You're driving a long a motorway flicking through the radio channels.... and then 2 hours later you realise you've listened to classical fm for the whole journey. You don't know how or when you put it on but somehow classic fm is on!
Quote from Intrepid :This is my experience of classical music

You're driving a long a motorway flicking through the radio channels.... and then 2 hours later you realise you've listened to classical fm for the whole journey. You don't know how or when you put it on but somehow classic fm is on!

There are some people to whom you can't teach class

Quote from beefyman666 :The only classical music i've listened to properly is from movie soundtracks. Two films in particular that have brilliant classical music, The Shawshank Redemption and Enemy At The Gates.

So i've just read, James Horner (who composed and conducted the music for Enemy At The Gates) has done music for many many films.

I can only really remember those two and if they're anything to go by, the rest must kick arse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J ... orner#List_of_film_scores

For motion picture soundtrack work at the genius level get hold of a compilation of John Williams stuff. The trouble is, people think you like it because it's 'from a film' rather than because it's classical or emotive. Sometimes it is just because it's from a film you liked
Quote from tristancliffe :For motion picture soundtrack work at the genius level get hold of a compilation of John Williams stuff. The trouble is, people think you like it because it's 'from a film' rather than because it's classical or emotive. Sometimes it is just because it's from a film you liked

I'll try find some stuff by him. And you're probably right about the 'liking it because of the film'. Shawshank is by far my favourite film of all time.

You can't deny it's all good music though.
Quote :For motion picture soundtrack work at the genius level get hold of a compilation of John Williams stuff.

I'd second that. Was going to mention him actually. So many of my favourite movies are due in large part to his scores- he is the best.

The alien communication scene in Close Encounters is classic.

edit: good for a laugh
Quote from beefyman666 :I'll try find some stuff by him. And you're probably right about the 'liking it because of the film'. Shawshank is by far my favourite film of all time.

You can't deny it's all good music though.

It's all good music, and Shawshank is quite possibly my favourite film of all time too. Only Schindler's List gets close for me (although I gather it isn't everyone's cup of tea).

Classical music
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG