The online racing simulator
oversteer under braking
(32 posts, started )
#26 - Riel
Have you tried to just put brake-balance a bit more to front?

Usually makes back more stable under braking, ofcourse.

It's the first thing I do when the back gets loose when braking a fwd.
often leaving your foot on the accelerator a little while braking in a FWD makes it oversteer more in LFS from my experiences.

I usually just shift down really fast (make sure you don't over rev). Basically I just do the opposite to what I'd do in a RWD
Seems to work though!
Quote from Gentlefoot : Oversteer while braking can be caused by the following things:

Hey, Gentle - you can make things clear

- no engine braking (neutral):
not enough front ARB/too much rear ARB - easiest way to balance neutral under/oversteer
too much rear rebound/not enough front bump - nose-diving that can regulate different balance on throttle/on braking
too much rear brake bias - obvious
- with engine braking
not enough diff coast lock? (I thought diff coast lock adds braking engine force on braking ) - adds braking force to driven wheels, front wheels in that case.
Quote from [DUcK] :often leaving your foot on the accelerator a little while braking in a FWD makes it oversteer more in LFS from my experiences.

I usually just shift down really fast (make sure you don't over rev). Basically I just do the opposite to what I'd do in a RWD
Seems to work though!

+1

I have noticed while trail braking if you lift a bit too fast coming off the brakes it will cause oversteer as well. To balance this be smooth with the brake release and get the car in so you can get right back on the throttle when brake is released.

I would have to say all these post about the set changes. This is most likely driver error and not the set its self. Being to aggressive with the brake pedal release and too slow back to throttle is my bet. Seeing he is using a g25 and is probably not that good at 2 footing.

Practice makes perfect.
Quote from AndRand :not enough diff coast lock? (I thought diff coast lock adds braking engine force on braking ) - adds braking force to driven wheels, front wheels in that case.

Diff coast lock does what the name implies. Diff is locked more while coasting. Essentially causes more understeer when off the throttle.
I would have thought most of the issue would just be down to the weight transfering its load over the front tyres, and having nothing over the rears. I guess it depends how your driving & the corner. This would be particularly obvious in front mounted engine cars.

Applying a small amount of throttle as your turning into the corner helps address things, it'll distribute the weight more evenly and as you get comfortable with how much to apply you can even use some of that distributed weight to hold a tighter line with the car balanced to an extent that your comfortable with it. Managing the weight transfer in the slower fwd cars can in many situations find you a lot of time through later braking & continued momentum.

Im sure theres a setup tweak that can help with it, but theres a lot to be said about how you approach the situation in the car, and a settled car is a predictable car.
I'd certainly suggest looking into it before tweaking setups, understand the car better and alternative ways to take the corner, and then fix the issues, fixing the issues your creating isnt always the answer and doesnt offer the same benefits. I create enough 'issues' in RWD cars to know
Open Diffs... then you'll get Oversteer under braking and Understeer under acceleration... job done... hehe

Seriously I find the default setup is too fierce in the Clutchpack LSD... change it to some lower lock or even the open/viscous option. I find Viscous LSDs easier to predict too... Clucthpacks seem to behave badly whenever I drive them especially in the FWD...

If you've got a locked Diff... you won't get any brake-oversteer...

oversteer under braking
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG