The online racing simulator
oversteer under braking
(32 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
oversteer under braking
I've tried a mixture of fixes and still in my XFG I have trouble entering the apex clean.

Im using a G25 with deadzones removed and under acceleration the beginning of the axis gives good FFB but under braking and deceleration the apex is very hard to hit as the steering becomes very light.

ATM I'm 1.8 seconds off WR and could do a lot better if I solved this problem

Suggestions please?

E;

epic thread title error = 1 x *facepalm*
The trick to keep FWD cars from oversteering is to gently get on the throttle as you break.

Not sure how to remedy oversteer under barking though!
#3 - CSU1
Quote from felplacerad :The trick to keep FWD cars from oversteering is to gently get on the throttle as you break.

Throttle + brake = unhappy clutch, no?
Quote from CSU1 :oversteer under barking

I didn't know dogs were FWD!
#5 - CSU1
If the problem is understeer you can touch something in the setup like the anti roll, more hard in rear will traduce in more oversteer. Other thing is the brake balance. Or positive rear toe in.

But if you think all is fine, the problem is in driving, you can to accelerate a little when are braking hard, so the brake balance will modify in this moment and brake much more in rear than in front (with a FWD)
#7 - CSU1
...but is it normal to have the steering become so light? it takes more concentration trying to line the nose of the car into the apex as there's little or no FFB...

settings:

Ingame setup lock - full
ingame wheel turn - 720
logitech profiler - 720(everything else turned off ie. spring)
wheel turn comp. - .85
deadzones - removed
I don't know what your problem is exactly, but if it's simply oversteer turning into a corner, perhaps you're going just a tad too fast.. I'm not really good in FWD cars, but that's what I've experienced. Throttle cures oversteer too, of course
And why is your turn compensation set to .85? Setting it to 1.0 gives you linear steering.
#9 - CSU1
Quote from RasmusL :I don't know what your problem is exactly, but if it's simply oversteer turning into a corner, perhaps you're going just a tad too fast.. I'm not really good in FWD cars, but that's what I've experienced. Throttle cures oversteer too, of course
And why is your turn compensation set to .85? Setting it to 1.0 gives you linear steering.

dunno, afaik i read somewhere to keep it at .8 but that did'nt feel right so I set it to .85

I guess it's down to experience, ATM I'm not even going to bother with the larger cars, the XFG will do until I learn some more and get fast.

The time consuming bit is getting set up with a set and wheel config that feels right, the rest is getting laps in...

TBH braking is where I fail, it's just too hard to pick a braking point while keeping an eye for apex entry when as soon as I turn for entry the FFB from braking dissipates into nothing and the wheel becomes light and oversteer errors are easily made, all be it this all happens in about one second.
do you meaning locking your rear wheels? hence the "oversteer". or you could be locking your front wheels, therefore couldn't turn.
A lot of FWD sets out there are made to be much more over steer sensitive than you might otherwise expect or normally be comfortable with on corner entry.

The way to drive those sets is to be getting off the brakes before turn in and deliberately getting the car into an over steer orientation prior to the apex (as if you were aiming to cut the corner don't get on the power till your sure the car has turned in well enough) and then power through the corner (just touching the apex curb will help the car hug the apex and getting a good exit also), you will find those sets feel a lot more stable when driven this way rather than trying to prevent over steer on entry.
Try moo-ing, it should work better.
#13 - CSU1
Quote from zeugnimod :Try moo-ing, it should work better.

Whaaa!

Like the cow?

Zeug, I dont see how that could help, sorry...

My room should sound like this for example?
Yeah, wouldn't that be great? Your neighbours will be happy, too.
#15 - CSU1
Quote from zeugnimod :Yeah, wouldn't that be great? Your neighbours will be happy, too.

*penny just dropped*

Sure beats barking

I will upload SPR later, thx for suggestions guy's.
Oversteer
I would suggest checking the dog isn't under the brake pedal before braking, they don't bark as much then. Though you must have a strange dog as mine Yelps rather than barks when I brake hard, especially if it's tail is under the pedal.
Quote from RasmusL :I don't know what your problem is exactly, but if it's simply oversteer turning into a corner, perhaps you're going just a tad too fast.. I'm not really good in FWD cars, but that's what I've experienced. Throttle cures oversteer too, of course

0 will give you linear steering, not 1.0. Can't imagine how can people drive with anything above 0, it just feels so wrong...
Quote from RevengeR :0 will give you linear steering, not 1.0. Can't imagine how can people drive with anything above 0, it just feels so wrong...

I drive with 1.0, and 900 degrees of rotation. With 0, I have 900 degrees of rotation for ALL cars, while most cars I drive only have 400 or something like that. With 1.0 compensation, my wheel always corresponds to the ingame wheel.
Compensation is not for linear steering, but to change your degrees of rotation for each and every car that you take
Quote from JackSun :I would suggest checking the dog isn't under the brake pedal before braking, they don't bark as much then. Though you must have a strange dog as mine Yelps rather than barks when I brake hard, especially if it's tail is under the pedal.

:huepfenic :huepfenic
#22 - Woz
Quote from RevengeR :0 will give you linear steering, not 1.0. Can't imagine how can people drive with anything above 0, it just feels so wrong...

You are wrong...

0 gives linear but 1 also gives linear if you wheel has equal or more lock that the associated LFS car.

So if you set your steering to 720 or above and wheel comp = 1 you will always get 1:1 steering for all lfs cars. Wheel comp 1 is the only setting you should use with DFP/G25 when using 720 lock.

For the OP, play with your brake bias to see if that helps with entry oversteer. As you are under braking load and the weight bias is forwards it makes the rear light.
Quote from CSU1 :Throttle + brake = unhappy clutch, no?

Nope, clutch has nothing to do with it... The problems you get can vary between nothing via glazing to overheating, but the clutch isn't affected in any way by throttle + brake...

As Glenn said, FWDs are usually set up to oversteer on coast to get the car to turn, but as you said you're feeling the steering go light I'm guessing the front tyres are helplessly overpowered by all your inputs and when braking is done and they bite again you just have too much steering on...

Generally though it's all about weight shift management with FWD... Try conciously rolling on and off the brakes and keep the coasting to a minimum (to a point where you don't coast at all), that should help keep the oversteer in check...

Quote from Woz :You are wrong...

0 gives linear but 1 also gives linear if you wheel has equal or more lock that the associated LFS car.

So if you set your steering to 720 or above and wheel comp = 1 you will always get 1:1 steering for all lfs cars. Wheel comp 1 is the only setting you should use with DFP/G25 when using 720 lock.

For the OP, play with your brake bias to see if that helps with entry oversteer. As you are under braking load and the weight bias is forwards it makes the rear light.

0 is linear and is always the lock you have set in your drivers/Profiler, 1 is linear and always the lock the cars in LfS have (ie 270° in the MRT)...
Steering feeling light and floppy is usually caused by a lack of front rebound.

Oversteer while braking can be caused by the following things:

Not enough diff coast lock;
too much rear brake bias;
not enough front bump;
not enough front ARB;
not enough rear rebound;
#25 - CSU1
Thanks GF, I'll test later...

oversteer under braking
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG