The online racing simulator
oil changing
(31 posts, started )
oil changing
how about after 300 miles or so, youll have to change your oil to your car, and if you dont your clutch can burn out faster than usual

it can make the game a little more realistic
... How is changing your oil effect your clutch at all?

and 300 miles?! that's pretty often. Maybe 3000 miles?

Also I doubt it makes it more realistic, just adds tedium.
the clutch and wheels is the only mechanical part in lfs, the cars front can be as flat as a pancake and still drive from no engine damage unless the game makers add in gear wear
Well Scawen has stated that they do plan to add more advanced damage at some point. It would be stupid though to relate oil changing to clutch wear when in real life they don't quite correspond.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well Scawen has stated that they do plan to add more advanced damage at some point. It would be stupid though to relate oil changing to clutch wear when in real life they don't quite correspond.

Not on most cars, I don't think, but most motorcycles lubricate the transmission and clutch (in the case of a wet clutch) with the same oil that goes through the rest of the engine.
If the car is running great with a fresh oil change... during racing it should last an easy 1000+ miles.
Quote from Forbin :Not on most cars, I don't think, but most motorcycles lubricate the transmission and clutch (in the case of a wet clutch) with the same oil that goes through the rest of the engine.

mrt5 and FBM(correct me if im wrong) engine for example.

do we really need a car service ? maybe changin camshaft drive belt/chain, wipers, clutch, or anything else ? IMO it is useless because there should be money and we dont want LFStoNFS conversion.

cheers
Wouldn't most of that stuff be changed before almost every event anyway?

And without random mechanical failures (which have been pretty much ruled out) simulating the wear of each mechanical part would be a little pointless.
So how would this be done?

Click a button in pits to change it?

^^ click me

Quote from JasonJ :So how would this be done?

Click a button in pits to change it?

^^ click me

yup, thats what i was aiming for

@the stig pl, but how would oil bring up nfs at all? that doesnt even relate too it, its oil, not nfs
How does clicking a Change Oil button make it more realistic? Would you like a Get Changed into Racesuit button? A "get up in the morning prior to qualifying" button? A "take a leak before the race" button?

No, I thought not. So why a change oil button? Why not also a change gearbox oil button? Why not an "inspect clutch plates" button or a "rewire dodgy dashboard switch" button?

It's a stupid idea.
Don't forget the "eat some carbohidrates" and "drink some energetic beverage" button.
You don't want your character to be starving in the middle of a race.
Also why not introduce driver's death?If you hit a white and read barrier and jump into the air you die and your license is tear apart.Then,if you want to play again,you have to purchase another one with a different name.
Maybe a "Donate 3000£ to -any tyre company-" button would be really appreciated.
Quote from tristancliffe :How does clicking a Change Oil button make it more realistic? Would you like a Get Changed into Racesuit button? A "get up in the morning prior to qualifying" button? A "take a leak before the race" button?

No, I thought not. So why a change oil button? Why not also a change gearbox oil button? Why not an "inspect clutch plates" button or a "rewire dodgy dashboard switch" button?

It's a stupid idea.

LFS meets The Sims.
umm,for the record, I wasn't serious. I was taking the piss

The way I saw it, the idea was that the car would slowly degrade if you forget to change the oil and engine performance would be affected which wasn't a such a BAD idea, trying to add some realism is good. But to only have to press a button?? then I would just do this EVERY race end so it would eventually become annoying to have to do it all the time.

FAR FAR cooler idea would be if you crash badly then you start leaking oil everywhere, other cars could slip in the oil and you car's engine would slowly die and explode with pieces flying everywhere littering the track causing other car's tyres to have a blowout. So yeh, improved damage model, but only affecting the race at hand. Once you hit the pits screen everything gets repaired and you car gets washed.
Quote from tristancliffe :How does clicking a Change Oil button make it more realistic? Would you like a Get Changed into Racesuit button? A "get up in the morning prior to qualifying" button? A "take a leak before the race" button?

It's a stupid idea.

Quote from IlGuercio :Don't forget the "eat some carbohidrates" and "drink some energetic beverage" button.
You don't want your character to be starving in the middle of a race.
Also why not introduce driver's death?If you hit a white and read barrier and jump into the air you die and your license is tear apart.Then,if you want to play again,you have to purchase another one with a different name.
Maybe a "Donate 3000£ to -any tyre company-" button would be really appreciated.

wtf, you so over exaggerating, and you hate demo racers because you think there noobs who dont know anything right? and how the hell does the topic of oil changing relate to taking a piss or other things at all??
Quote from xXCRASH3RXx :wtf, you so over exaggerating, and you hate demo racers because you think there noobs who dont know anything right? and how the hell does the topic of oil changing relate to taking a piss or other things at all??

Im just trying to suggest serious things.The demo stuff is all in your mind...i never said anything about it.
Quote from xXCRASH3RXx :wtf, you so over exaggerating, and you hate demo racers because you think there noobs who dont know anything right? and how the hell does the topic of oil changing relate to taking a piss or other things at all??

1) Taking THE piss.. there's a difference. Go google/urban dictionary it.

2) Your suggestion was something that shouldn't be a priority unless we were making The Sims: Race Driver as it's a menial job that is done normally by race engineers and if you add that, are we gonna have like what Tristan suggested about putting on race suit, waking up, going to restroom, checking brakes, clutch, etcera.

No, as that makes for a boring game, and isn't very realistic for a Racing simulator.

3) It's got nothing to do with you being a demo racer, it's got to do with your ideas being quite silly. The whole victim role of "I'm a <insert group that isn't S1/S2 licenced and focused racing here>" is so overplayed, that even Shakespeare himself said that "Thou art lame!".

-
(JasonJ) DELETED by JasonJ : not funneh anymore

No, I absolutely do not hate people because of their title "Demo Racer". I do hate stupid people, of any licenced status, that think that clicking a button makes an oil change realistic, but doesn't want to have an equally realistic 'have a wee' button.

That is how the two relate - both are stupidly unrealistic, pointless and annoying when reduced to a button you have to click every time you leave you the pits.
#19 - Jakg

mmmmm.
#20 - senn
want to do oil changes, go play Gran Turismo.
lmfao change oil and i thought my ideas were bad. i may as well state some

id like these ideas only if they implement engine failures

adjustable A/F timing/cam turning,boost/duty, injector pulse/duty,

but as everyone has said befor someone would work out the best combo and use that thats why with engine dmg/failures they would be good mods.

lol then again i have NO fing idea how to set the injector pules's and duty the ECU turning is fuking confusing
Tristan, he is absolutely right. Not taking a leak prior to the race most likely won't change anything. Unless you hate being messy.

Quote from JasonJ :umm,for the record, I wasn't serious. I was taking the piss

The way I saw it, the idea was that the car would slowly degrade if you forget to change the oil and engine performance would be affected which wasn't a such a BAD idea, trying to add some realism is good. But to only have to press a button?? then I would just do this EVERY race end so it would eventually become annoying to have to do it all the time.

FAR FAR cooler idea would be if you crash badly then you start leaking oil everywhere, other cars could slip in the oil and you car's engine would slowly die and explode with pieces flying everywhere littering the track causing other car's tyres to have a blowout. So yeh, improved damage model, but only affecting the race at hand. Once you hit the pits screen everything gets repaired and you car gets washed.

Yeah, and when you explode all the other cars crash and then they all explode and then there is a huge fireball and the dynamite that was forgotten behind a wall will explode and then the whole track will go poof and then like you can never drive there again. Yeah baby!
Quote from Jakg :

mmmmm.

i lol'd there, and this is a stupid idea i guess :V
Quote from Lible :Tristan, he is absolutely right. Not taking a leak prior to the race most likely won't change anything. Unless you hate being messy.

While a "change oil" button does,huh?

oil changing
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG