The online racing simulator
How to Multiple Screen with Z16?
(71 posts, started )
Quote from GabbO :Hi guys,

i can't seem to get multi-monitor working, i just cant get above 1920*1200. I read a lot of threads, but found nothing that helped.

Win7, ATI HD4850, Multiple monitor setting in Win: extend these displays.
Patch Z20, right Monitor added in Options->View

Anyone a hint?

Quote from Shotglass :you seem to be using extended desktop in windows as opposed to having one large desktop across both screens (with the taskbar going across both and all that) which is what the graphiccard must see for multiscreen to work in lfs

Ok, I just tryed everything I could, googled a lot, but still no clue how to do this on Windows7. Someone must have done this already somehow, please help!!!!
Didn't Microsoft remove this ability from Vista/Win7 for copy protection reasons?
Quote from Shotglass :you seem to be using extended desktop in windows as opposed to having one large desktop across both screens (with the taskbar going across both and all that) which is what the graphiccard must see for multiscreen to work in lfs

How do you set such a feature with XP & ATI CCC??

I'm experimenting a bit (see attachment), and found that if LFS runs in a window I can of course drag it over both screens.
Besides that, new commands (bezel comp, screens width...) appear on option screen. I don't have them when in full screen, instead I get the message "not wide enough...".

Another thing is that the lower limit for screen width seems to be 1024, and mine is 800, but ok.
Attached images
LFSwide.jpg
I couldn't get it working in windows 7 without using softth, but that failed miserably when I tried to configure it. In the end I gave up and installed windows xp on another drive in that PC, which I will play LFS on.
Quote from Bob Smith :Didn't Microsoft remove this ability from Vista/Win7 for copy protection reasons?

it works with eyefinity on 7 so it cant entirely be a win7 issue
OK, after setting up a 3rd monitor, I have managed to get it working with softth in windows 7. It indeed does seems that it is impossible atm in the Nvidia/windows drivers to force span mode, so this is the only way afaik (not including eyefinity or triplehead).

Also, in windows XP, after getting span mode working no problem with 2 screens, after adding a 2nd graphics card, I couldn't get XP to span across the 3 screens, so had to use softth anyway.... So, in conclusion :

If you have 2 screens, use XP in span mode, works flawlessly, no softth needed. If you only have windows 7 or Vista, you will need to use softth, which was impossible for me to setup for dual screen

If you have 3 screens, you have to use softth no matter what (unless using ati eyefinity or triple h2go), and it is pretty easy to setup, and then it doesn't matter if you use XP, Vista or Win7.
Quote from Shotglass :it works with eyefinity on 7 so it cant entirely be a win7 issue

Doesn't Eyefinity trick Windows into think there is only one, larger screen? Whereas the drivers normally tell Windows that this is multiple screens being merged.

Quote from jasonmatthews :you will need to use softth, which was impossible for me to setup for dual screen

I used to have this working OK before I bought my third monitor, I just had to comment out one of the left or right device IDs in the softth.cfg. This was with an eariler version of SoftTH mind, before the device autodetection. You might need to turn that off with the newer versions (I can't start LFS without my sidescreens being on as well, unless I rename the modified dll to stop SoftTH being loaded).
Quote from Bob Smith :Doesn't Eyefinity trick Windows into think there is only one, larger screen? Whereas the drivers normally tell Windows that this is multiple screens being merged.

no idea but afaik a spanned screen should report as the size of both screens together to dx and thus lfs in xp so i dont really see the difference
Bob, when I start your FOVCalc, it say that need 'COMCTL32.OCX', I downloaded this VB library, but I don't know how to install, I'm in W7
Ah yes, I noticed this too at work. With v1.1 I managed to switch from using one ocx to another, but I'm still packaging the other ocx in with the zip (which was supposed to be for convenience).

I've repackaged the download with a readme instead that gives a link to the file and installation instructions.

To save you redownloading, here is the relevant part of the instructions for Win7:
Quote from readme :
Move files to "Windows\SysWOW64"
Load a command prompt (use run as administrator if you have UAC enabled) and run:
regsvr32 \windows\syswow64\COMCTL32.OCX

I'm on W7 32bit, I don't have this folder
Ah, then use the system32 folder instead of the syswow64 folder.
I did that, but give new error message.

"The module was loaded, but has an error on calling DllRegisterServer (errorcode 0x8002801c)."

If I try to open FOVCal, I have the error missing the COMCTL32.OCX
Only have 1 account in windows, and it is Administrator. What supposed instructions don't I follow? I did what you had say here

Quote from Ripley :How do you set such a feature with XP & ATI CCC??

bump.
If I set my main monitor to be the only active display...well, everything is normal.
If I extend the desktop over the two monitors, the taskbar stays at the bottom of the main monitor, as usual...
I don't get how to make it stretch over the two...
Eyefinity RULEZ!
If u don't like the bars at the screens, just buy 2 or 3 projectors, this way there willbe no bars between the screens, and u willhave peripherical vision, different of a 42" screen,where the maximum resolution u can have is FULLHD, 1920x1080, eyefinity let u play at 5760x1080, or even more, if ur monitors can support it! If u already have 2 cars incrossfire or sli, try softhx, its not as good asEyeFinity, but its free, at lastI think it is! lol
Quote from Dreadlokz :If u already have 2 cars incrossfire or sli, try softhx, its not as good asEyeFinity, but its free, at lastI think it is! lol

In some aspects SoftTH is better, in some aspects EyeFinity is better.

SoftTH's advantages are:
- Possible to use different resolution in side monitors
- Does not require specific hardware (eg. does not require a DisplayPort monitor)
- Enabled only while the game is running
- Has bezel compensation

EyeFinitys advantages are:
- More compatible because it works at driver level
- Does not require having multiple graphics cards
Quote from Bob Smith :Google ftw: http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/w ... l_nt_rgsvrfld8002801c.htm

It looks like you didn't run you command prompt as administrator. What good are instructions if you don't follow them?

I was succesfully opening CMD like administrator, clicking with rigth mouse button on CMD (Start->Programs-> accesories -> CMD) I don't know why I have to do that if I'm the administrator...
That's UAC for you. Right pain in the arse.
Quote from Bob Smith :That's UAC for you. Right pain in the arse.

Turn it off!!!
All it does is ask you for the 3rd time if you REALLY want to do what you asked to do in the first place. Windows already asks you if you really want to do it, why I need to be asked for a millionth time I have no idea

Oh and it stops most programs from working :P
-
cant seem to get it to work. (RobbyMac) DELETED by RobbyMac : solved. view all color options

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG