If anything, this game has taught me how to drive... sort of.
First driver's training yesterday and I actually did very well. However, I don't think this game replicates the numbness of power steering found in most cars.

That was first and formost the biggest difference (to me) between driving in this game and in real life. You can pretty much say that all these cars in LFS have no power steering so it gives you very raw feedback. Now I can't say the same for the Camry I drove. It felt like I was driving Jell-O but I had a good feel for the brakes and accelerator as well as steering angle.
#27 - Jakg
That car was well over the maximum angle of the tyres - I think thats way more luck than skill (although i'm sure skill helped a little).

EDIT - not tyres, steering.
The "maximum angle of the tyres" being...?
#29 - Jakg
point fail.

What I meant was the car is at full lock, the but the car is rotated more than that amount of steering - i.e. 36° of lock means the car can be rotated 36° sideways and the wheel can be pointing the right way. On that car it has a lot of lock (45°?) but it looks to be at over 100° at some points.

God i'm bad at explaining this.
Jakg, so you want to say you can't do >36° drift in a XRT which has 36° steering lock without any luck? if yes you are wrong.
#31 - Jakg
No, thats not what i'm saying - but at that extreme angle i'd say it's less amazing car control and more luck starting to take over.
No one seems to have mentioned that the video in the original post is of multiple runs, not the same run. The first sequence shows a run which appears to have been done within the steering lock angle of the car. The next sequence, labled "replay", isn't a replay of the first run but is a diffferent run. This time the car yaws well beyond the steering lock angle, but the front end slides more than the rear end as the driver lifts off the throttle, and the car eventually recovers. The third sequence, "in car" appears to be the same or similar to the second run, going beyond lock angle and then recovering.

I still think Tiff's 100 mph power oversteer in the 5th gear episode featuring the Z06 was more impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L729eQpudKk
It's the same run... You just get a different perseption from different camera angles. Only in corner entry and the first half of the corner he is holding a drift angle above 90degrees. As he powers out of the corner, he reduces the drift angle to what front wheels can cope with.

And how exactly you know in what speed Tiff's drifts are? Because he says "and here I am. ballancing in a hundred miles/hour blah blah"? He is a tv show presenter... he is supposed to exagerate in his coments to make it even more thrilling to whach.
-
(lyd) DELETED by the_angry_angel
yeah I don´t get whats so extremely special about it (if course it takes tons of skills) but IMO its just logical. a sweet example is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3s1JQu1O70

he does almost 90° and since it´s a almost 90° turn he doesn´t have much problems with getting it straght again. its just that he has to trive forewards again
-
(Shadowww) DELETED by the_angry_angel
Quote from Meanie :I think this is pretty cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Tiodhkv7g

:P

It's a shame that this isn't the fastest way around a track.

heh and he floored it
Quote from CUPRAMAN :As you see in video the steer lock in higher than normal cars, so you need more steer lock. Its all about
Ackermann steering geometry

Read: http://www.all-science-fair-pr ... kermann_steering_geometry

I dont know what ackerman has to do in this situation I think steer lock is prevailing here to catch such slide. With ackerman, as I reckon, you can balance front wheels grip that would differ in small and big angles
Read better the page of Ackermann. All the angles of the steer have a point in steering. The car in video can do only drift nothing else only hard steer. If you drive that car in street you will spin in a sec..... If you read carefully you will understand the mention of Ackermann geometry.
Quote from CUPRAMAN :Read better the page of Ackermann. All the angles of the steer have a point in steering. The car in video can do only drift nothing else only hard steer. If you drive that car in street you will spin in a sec..... If you read carefully you will understand the mention of Ackermann geometry.

I know what ackerman geomety is about. What I wanted to notice is that when you have more Ackerman (I think more pararell steer in LFS) front wheels have relatively more equal grip in both small and big angles than with less ackerman when both wheels have good grip in small angles and less grip in big angles what makes it another balancing method.
Quote from CUPRAMAN :Read better the page of Ackermann. All the angles of the steer have a point in steering. The car in video can do only drift nothing else only hard steer. If you drive that car in street you will spin in a sec..... If you read carefully you will understand the mention of Ackermann geometry.

Where exactly in the "page of Ackermann" did you read this?
"The car in video can do only drift" Not at all. A drift car is not neseserily an usntrable car...
Ackermann geometry defines the relative difference in angles between the front two wheels according to steer radius, wheel track and wheelbase of the car. It does not determine the maximum steering angle of the wheels... let alone making the car unstable...
I didn't want to insult anyone but you are asking for it.
Stop talking about things you can barely understand.
When you use full steer lock (as drift) you need parallel front wheels in a turn.. That is not use in city\race drive. The drift setup of the steer has nothing to do with the sets of other uses and in this case (video) he use as much as possible steer angle he can have (different top mount\steering arm\caster\rack box) The tip on the fast steer is to use short rack box for faster steer.
Quote from kaynd :Where exactly in the "page of Ackermann" did you read this?
"The car in video can do only drift" Not at all. A drift car is not neseserily an usntrable car...
Ackermann geometry defines the relative difference in angles between the front two wheels according to steer radius, wheel track and wheelbase of the car. It does not determine the maximum steering angle of the wheels... let alone making the car unstable...
I didn't want to insult anyone but you are asking for it.
Stop talking about things you can barely understand.

I am engineer for 10 years now and you still study so STFU and do your homework.
At first you said it's all about Ackerman... and now you say that in drifting you need paralel wheels in full lock (so no Ackermann geometry at all) And then you bring all these other aspects that indeed have a great effect on car's behaviour but do not necessarily make it unstable or hard to drive.

So this sould be an easy one for you.
Does any of thiese mods eliminate Ackerman geometry?
http://kpi.squarespace.com/steering-angle-modifications/

I still think you have a very limited understanding of what you are talking about but I am not going to bother with this anymore.

Quote from CUPRAMAN :I am engineer for 10 years now and you still study so STFU and do your homework.

Ok ok I get it. No more talking to you Mister "engineer".
If you know the exit angle of what ever corner you are drifting through, then the only limitation is owner/operator. LFS has everything you need to drift the same as the video. If you want to drift the drive, PRACTICE.
Personally I drive to avoid drift, but exiting a drift clean and hot is its own satisfaction.
+ that i agree for the driver

Quote from Wm. Peddle :If you know the exit angle of what ever corner you are drifting through, then the only limitation is owner/operator. LFS has everything you need to drift the same as the video. If you want to drift the drive, PRACTICE.
Personally I drive to avoid drift, but exiting a drift clean and hot is its own satisfaction.

For the car:

Quote from kaynd :At first you said it's all about Ackerman...

Ok ok I get it. No more talking to you Mister "engineer".

You are so brainless. Nothing of what i said erase my previous words...... all of the compoments in the front axel makes different in geometry and steer.
Quote from JeffR :No one seems to have mentioned that the video in the original post is of multiple runs

Quote from kaynd :It's the same run... You just get a different perseption from different camera angles. Only in corner entry and the first half of the corner he is holding a drift angle above 90degrees.

In the first run he doesn't exceed 90 degrees, and the hand brake is used for a much shorter period of time. Take a closer look at that video again.
Quote from JeffR :In the first run he doesn't exceed 90 degrees, and the hand brake is used for a much shorter period of time. Take a closer look at that video again.

Actually he does exceed 90 degrees in turn entry, use the lines of the track for reference. The telephoto lens on the camera used from that side of the track sort of flattens it. I don't doubt it's the same video no more than I doubt the ear-bleeding enthusiasm of the commentators.

Quote from CUPRAMAN :If you drive that car in street you will spin in a sec.....

Why?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG