The online racing simulator
47 Inch Monitor advice
(32 posts, started )
doesn't HDMI also carry the audio signal?
Yep I have it connected at the moment with a DVI to HDMI converter but cannot figure out how to get sound using this set as I up only get picture.

to get the sound I have a 3.5mm jack plug from the rear socket on the PC to A Portable 3.5mm socket on the surround sound system which is set on a matrix mode giving out a 5.1 set up.

I am sure there is a better way though as my graphics card ATI 3650 has onboard sound - I just cannot figure how to get the audio to the TV
edited my post to say pc to tv.

What happens is that once you connect the HDMI cable to the TV from the PC, the TV thinks that it sould be receiving sound through the HDMI. but as the PC (VGA/DVI) don't carry sound, you have to set the TV to let it know that sound is coming from somewhere else.

With the samsung, you have to change the source name to DVI PC and then it knows to get sound from the 3.5mm port and not the HDMI.

Hope that makes sense to you now?
Quote from dadge :doesn't HDMI also carry the audio signal?

Only HDMI to HDMI carries sound, HDMI to DVI doesn't
look at post 13 in this thread. you'd have to have the wheel behind your 15" monitor to make it look that big.
Quote from peterules :Only HDMI to HDMI carries sound, HDMI to DVI doesn't

My HD4850's have DVI output. My TV is HDMI, and When I connect it, I do hear sound. I have used that adapter that's included with the cards.
card>DVI-HDMI BLOCK>HDMI Cabel>TV
Quote from Bose321 :My HD4850's have DVI output. My TV is HDMI, and When I connect it, I do hear sound. I have used that adapter that's included with the cards.
card>DVI-HDMI BLOCK>HDMI Cabel>TV

Lucky you! It's probably the adapter that makes it work somehow. The only sound i got was some clicking noises like a phone was too close to the speakers. but after i got the other audio cable all was fine. It all works just how i want it too

47 Inch Monitor advice
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG