The online racing simulator
47 Inch Monitor advice
(32 posts, started )
47 Inch Monitor advice
Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone has tried this but i'm running a 47inch Samsung on LFS and having mega trouble keeping the cars in track. At first i changed the FOV in LFS to 115 which is a quick fix but I'm still having trouble with the cars snapping when i'm steering. When i set it back to 95 FOV which i was using on my old 22" monitor it's just too close and horrible.

Any advice on how to get a natural feeling back to the cars with a giant monitor?

Thanks,
Pete
Attached images
DSC01278.JPG
well the screen has nothing to do with steering.
I know that! But it was not just simple plug and play. I had to change the FOV higher to make it back to normal which was a quick fix but there's a problem somewhere. It just don't work with 47 inches without changing something. I don't know what it is, that's why i'm asking for advice.
It looks like your monitor is sitting very high up, which probably isn't helping. Can you lower it, or make the chair taller?
Quote from Mp3 Astra :It looks like your monitor is sitting very high up, which probably isn't helping. Can you lower it, or make the chair taller?

It isn't the height i think. It was doing the same thing when i had the TV a bit lower too. I'm thinking a fresh instal of LFS might help

It's just strange how i had to change the FOV when i got the new screen. and having normal FOV just don't work now
It isn't strange that you had to change your FOV, you now have a screen thats more than 4 tmes bigger than your last one, still sitting right next to your face!
Think of the screen being a window into the world of LFS, rather than a screen showing EVERYTHING, now you have a bigger window you're sitting right next to, you of course have a bigger FOV, so the in game settings should reflect that.

EDIT: And i agree that the screen seems too high to give a natural experience...
That kinda helps, I thought i was going a bit crazy when i turned the FOV up so high. I'll have a fiddle with it more and see if i can find a view that helps.

As for the screen being too high, I would agree. But the problem is if i have it any lower the wheel gets in the way of the screen when i'm on the sofa behind the Desk chair.. I know, you don't have to tell me i'm weird. lol Even though the TV is about a foot too high there's not a lot of difference when i was playing last night and i got used to it quite quickly. It was just the Massive FOV and snapy steering i thought was a bit strange.

Maybe i just can't have my cake and eat it
Well unfortunately, when things like this are multi purpose, compromises have to be made...
If that setup were mine, i would remove the tall section of the desk which the TV is stood on, and put the TV on the main part of the desk. You should still be able to fit your SkyHD box to the side and underneath of the TV, then you just have the inconvenient part of removing and replacing the wheel when you switch from tv/movie watching back to racing and vice versa.
You are getting the best possible of both worlds with that solution, but unfortunately it's not perfect...

EDIT: Is that a series 5 btw?
Quote from GFresh :Well unfortunately, when things like this are multi purpose, compromises have to be made...
If that setup were mine, i would remove the tall section of the desk which the TV is stood on, and put the TV on the main part of the desk. You should still be able to fit your SkyHD box to the side and underneath of the TV, then you just have the inconvenient part of removing and replacing the wheel when you switch from tv/movie watching back to racing and vice versa.
You are getting the best possible of both worlds with that solution, but unfortunately it's not perfect...

EDIT: Is that a series 5 btw?

Yeah - LE46B554M2

Oops its 46 not 47 :P
Lol, i assumed it was tbh but didn't like to point it out.
My friend has that TV, i have the series 4 version - LE46M87BDX
Cool, well i've had a fiddle with the views tonight and got it half way back to normal thank god! The FOV's are around 110-115 depending on the car and in car view seems to work better than custom. I also had to up the LOD setting which i should have done anyway and there is a major improvement already.

Still a bit of a git to hold a slide if u lose control (the rFactor effect) but should be up to speed again in no time
Yeah, i'm sure you'll get used to it in no time
Quote from peterules :[snip]
As for the screen being too high, I would agree. But the problem is if i have it any lower the wheel gets in the way of the screen when i'm on the sofa behind the Desk chair.. [snip]

............which is nice

Try this for yourself, take a big square of cardboard 46" size. Overlay it on your screen and cut out a 22" "window hole" in the centre. Then adjust LFS so it looks as it did before on your old setup and just use the 22" hole as your screen. Then after you are used to that, take away the bordering cardboard. All the extra peripheral vision is flattened out on the sides of you ,which can give a sort of tunnel-vision effect which makes the car feel like it's snapping. I think it's more of an optical illusion. A curved screen or dome screen would feel better at these higher FOVs. Personally I use about 110 degrees (40" series 5 Samsung). It looks best to me when I make the ingame virtual wheel the same size as the G25 wheel.

Actually that experiment would require you use 130 FOV or something. Makes you realise how much of a huge step you have taken by going to 46"
Quote from JasonJ :............which is nice

Try this for yourself, take a big square of cardboard 46" size. Overlay it on your screen and cut out a 22" "window hole" in the centre. Then adjust LFS so it looks as it did before on your old setup and just use the 22" hole as your screen. Then after you are used to that, take away the bordering cardboard. All the extra peripheral vision is flattened out on the sides of you ,which can give a sort of tunnel-vision effect which makes the car feel like it's snapping. I think it's more of an optical illusion. A curved screen or dome screen would feel better at these higher FOVs. Personally I use about 110 degrees (40" series 5 Samsung). It looks best to me when I make the ingame virtual wheel the same size as the G25 wheel.

Actually that experiment would require you use 130 FOV or something. Makes you realise how much of a huge step you have taken by going to 46"

Thanks for that. I've already thrown away the box and cba to try and find some more cardboard lol. The idea about making the wheel the same size kinda makes sense though. I'm glad i'm not going mad with the 110+ FOV too lol
I've managed to get some kind of consistancy back but after a few years playing it on the 22", I think i got too used to it and now have to change every car's view to match the screen... Sigh! lol
I had a bit of a brainstorm yesterday and went Maplin for a DVI to HDMI cable and WOW! I'm pretty pleased with the result. There was some kind of lag from the old wire that was causing the snappy effects. I didn't realise that it was a bit blocky/laggy until i swapped them back to compare the difference. Also there was some kind of shadow coming from the old wire which the new one sorted out. so the result is that the snappyness (if that's a word) had gone!!!

Anyways, i had to fiddle with the views again after resetting the resolution to the highest and thinking about the Steering wheel sizes mentioned earlier worked out that 120 FOV is the best for a 47 inch screen. I have put all my wheel setting back to what thay was with the 22" too!!

Also, with the new HDMI leads, i have a lot more settings to play around with in the LFS Graphics section. Woohoo!
That's great news. If we'd known you were on VGA, well someone would have said something.
My bad i suppose

Edit: While i'm at it, is there anything esle i'm missing? I'm still having to run audio through the PC I'm going Maplins again tonight for a Phono to Phono cable for the pc to the "DVI Audio input" plug in back of the TV - Hopefully this will allow sound (in stereo) to come from the 5.1 Surround wired in the the TV output yeah?

OMFGSH the confusion for just a TV lol
Quote from peterules :My bad i suppose

Edit: While i'm at it, is there anything esle i'm missing? I'm still having to run audio through the PC I'm going Maplins again tonight for a Phono to Phono cable for the pc to the "DVI Audio input" plug in back of the TV - Hopefully this will allow sound (in stereo) to come from the 5.1 Surround wired in the the TV output yeah?

OMFGSH the confusion for just a TV lol

The graphics card doesn't do sound.
It's all sorted now! Audio/visual all fixed! Even the screen size don't seem as big now i'm used to it!

Cheers for all ya help
Quote from peterules :It's all sorted now! Audio/visual all fixed! Even the screen size don't seem as big now i'm used to it!

Cheers for all ya help

Hi mate can you explain whats needed for audio from graphics card as i've just tried this, i'm running an ATI 3650 (which has built in audio) to an LG 46" screen.

Am I right in thinking only one of the two ATI DVI outputs gives out audio

Thanks Shaun
alright thanks guys...I had the same problem with my 37". fixed now
with the dvi to hdmi cable.

p.s...i see you were drinking a little jack daniels
Quote from JasonJ :............which is nice

that looks fantastic!
Everyone over the age of 40 that plays on it get motion sickness
Quote from CELTIC100 :Hi mate can you explain whats needed for audio from graphics card as i've just tried this, i'm running an ATI 3650 (which has built in audio) to an LG 46" screen.

Am I right in thinking only one of the two ATI DVI outputs gives out audio

Thanks Shaun

Well, at first i tried phono to 3.5mmjack cable and didn't work, then i got a 3.5 to 3.5jack cable and slotted into the DVI audio in on the back of the TV to the green slot at the back of the pc and viola it worked. I think you may have to set up the audio output in the pc control centre thingy...
Quote from peterules :Well, at first i tried phono to 3.5mmjack cable and didn't work, then i got a 3.5 to 3.5jack cable and slotted into the DVI audio in on the back of the TV to the green slot at the back of the tv and viola it worked. I think you may have to set up the audio output in the pc control centre thingy...

Don't really follow as your statement says TV to TV ?

Hmm my DVI audio connector on the back of my TV is in the shape of a VGA Connector, mabe i'll try a DVI to VGA Converter - this is confusing mind as I thought VGA cables could not pass audio signals

47 Inch Monitor advice
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG