The online racing simulator
-OsR- Old Skool Racing Advert(s)
(34 posts, started )
Right, the worst film maker in history has made an ad for -OsR- (mainly to rival against albox's version)

Shorter Ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... 8BmRM&feature=channel

Longer Ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... &feature=channel_page

Praises and constructive criticisms are welcome but no comments that discourages me (this has happened many times to me).

There are 2 questions that you will need to answer as well:

1. Is this better than albox's version?
2. Would you be intrested to go to the server after watching this?

(Hopefully...) Enjoy!

Credits to TFalke55 for making the 2009 EPSN inlay used in this video

Important Note: Don't complain about the FPS, I cannot afford a good computer with my own money.

:dnfnoob:
You have to sort that FPS out mate.
Quote from [SWE]RE :You have to sort that FPS out mate.

Can't, can't afford a good computer with my own money
Quote from speed1230 :Can't, can't afford a good computer with my own money

There are a few tricks for this. Record at x0.250, put the footage in example vDub and increase the fps 4 times so you get the "normal" speed. Not only does this help increasing the fps rate for those who can not record at normal speed without getting fps drops, but it can also make the footage look smoother as the camera movements etc gets better (imo) if you record at a slower speed.

I'm sure there are other ways, you can always read the thread that squiddy wrote. There are a lot of tips there.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=53389
Quote from [SWE]RE :There are a few tricks for this. Record at x0.250, put the footage in example vDub and increase the fps 4 times so you get the "normal" speed. Not only does this help increasing the fps rate for those who can not record at normal speed without getting fps drops, but it can also make the footage look smoother as the camera movements etc gets better (imo) if you record at a slower speed.

I'm sure there are other ways, you can always read the thread that squiddy wrote. There are a lot of tips there.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=53389

I have read that tutorial and did try that method but it somehow didn't work
#6 - dadge
the very low fps make this video unwatchale for me. sorry.
Darned. Both ads are unsuccessful. 1 for ripping people's eyes out and 1 being too laggy.
Ignore the FPS, what about the ad itself? Is it better than albox's version?

I think I want to stop filming for eternity now!
#8 - dadge
you can't ignore the fps. it's too low. making the ad unwatchable.
So none of you wants to let go the fps problem and just watch the video? It has many many good sides. There are a few of them: music is well picked and synchronized; there is useful information on what the server is mainly about; there is a little feeling of humor, but just as much so you won't feel it like it's a joke, but more like a serious server; camera movement is not too sudden and it's well placed... plus, that's not all, but you will see all the other good sides if you just watch the video.

Well as for the short ad: I did have some notes, but they were all cleared up in the long one.

And one more fact I can't just pass by: They weren't made from a professional with a PC from outer-space, but from a normal person with an average computer, and the video is still well balanced.
Quote from broken : : They weren't made from a professional with a PC from outer-space, but from a normal person with an average computer,

just like most/all video makers on this forum.
Quote from broken :There are a few of them: music is well picked and synchronized

Synced? You got no idea what you're talking about don't you?

Quote from broken :camera movement is not too sudden and it's well placed...

Except for being jerky, not smooth enough and inconsistent in it's movements

Quote from broken :And one more fact I can't just pass by: They weren't made from a professional with a PC from outer-space

I bet I can make the video with more FPS on a PC half as powerful as his. I pulled off 40 fps videos on a 2.8 single core Pentium with a 8600GT graphics card. Hardly space age technology

Now for the event you've all been waiting for, Squid appears as his regular self :

Quote from speed1230 :Ignore the FPS, what about the ad itself? Is it better than albox's version?

It's piss easy to improve on rubbish, so YES, your's is better

Quote from speed1230 :I have read that tutorial and did try that method but it somehow didn't work

No you haven't and no you haven't.
Proof : Recording with the method specified in the tutorial sacrifices the game sounds... which you still have

More proof:

1. Fraps watermark in your vid
Quote from Making LFS movies #2 (new tutorial) Thread :If you used a demo version of Fraps to record the video, it will have a fraps.com watermark in the top part of the screen. You can edit it out by simply zooming a little bit

2. Primitive text overlays in your vid
Quote from Making LFS movies #2 (new tutorial) Thread :forget about the regular text overlay WMM has, you’re better off with a proper JPG with a text written with nice font

3. No proper beginning of your vid
Quote from Making LFS movies #2 (new tutorial) Thread :Don’t forget, every video has a beginning and the end. Don’t cut off the video and audio feed when you want to end the video, edit it so it would feel natural (for example cars driving away and music fading, while slowly fading to black)

There's a lot of different points where you could have had your video improved and made good, but seeing you never read the tutorial and not intending to I'm not even going to list them

Verdict 3/10
Haha awesome!
I love to see myself in a commercial
Quote from squidhead :Synced? You got no idea what you're talking about don't you?

Synchronization as a word can be used in many ways. I mean that it's well synchronized with the movie "stages".

Quote from squidhead :I bet I can make the video with more FPS on a PC half as powerful as his. I pulled off 40 fps videos on a 2.8 single core Pentium with a 8600GT graphics card. Hardly space age technology

Firstly, that's not a bad PC at all.. Also I said that they were made from a normal person, who has a bare idea of how to make a video(no offense intended ). As we all see you seem to have more experience, yes, so you can do it better. He still tried tho, and it was liked in between the community that was made for. Also he needs motivation, people to tell him that he's going good as for start, not just some guys to jump on him saying "it's unwatchable, because of that and that" or something similar.

Quote from squidhead :No you haven't and no you haven't.
Proof : Recording with the method specified in the tutorial sacrifices the game sounds... which you still have

About your "proof"... How could you prove something, after you can't really know. You haven't been watching him while he was trying to do it, have you? Maybe it didn't work out and he didn't put it in youtube(which I have to say is a smarter decision than editing it and instantly putting on a video site so everyone can see that it really did fail).

Quote from squidhead :Now for the event you've all been waiting for, Squid appears as his regular self :

You must think that you're very famous, so that everyone would expect something from you? I wasn't actually expecting that you would say such thing and speak for yourself in 3rd person, and after I saw your age I was even more surprised.
IMHO, you need medical attention.
Quote from broken :Synchronization as a word can be used in many ways. I mean that it's well synchronized with the movie "stages".

Firstly, that's not a bad PC at all.. Also I said that they were made from a normal person, who has a bare idea of how to make a video(no offense intended ). As we all see you seem to have more experience, yes, so you can do it better. He still tried tho, and it was liked in between the community that was made for. Also he needs motivation, people to tell him that he's going good as for start, not just some guys to jump on him saying "it's unwatchable, because of that and that" or something similar.

So we should lie? We (well, they) gave him tips, so he can improve his next video, instead of making a video just as bad. When I make pictures and skins, I rather want information on what I did bad, and if it totally sucks, rather than people telling me "oh, nice" when its not... It was his first video, he want to improve, then he need advices for what he can improve, and not "oh man, that was totally awsome!" when it wasnt...

Quote :About your "proof"... How could you prove something, after you can't really know. You haven't been watching him while he was trying to do it, have you? Maybe it didn't work out and he didn't put it in youtube(which I have to say is a smarter decision than editing it and instantly putting on a video site so everyone can see that it really did fail).

The tutorial is plain easy, and has some advices he have NOT follow, which would make the movie more watchable. Therefore, he havent, as its plain easy.

Quote :You must think that you're very famous, so that everyone would expect something from you? I wasn't actually expecting that you would say such thing and speak for yourself in 3rd person, and after I saw your age I was even more surprised.
IMHO, you need medical attention.

I'll do a Scipy "Die in a fire" :')
1st: I said to give him some motivation, not to say "it was so awesome" etc.. Maybe say something like "it's good for start but you can also try to improve thing 1 and thing 2" or something similar than just saying "the problem makes it unwatchable".

2nd: He said it didn't work out. Maybe he didn't have enough time.

3rd: Yeah, sorry, I was too harsh. Some times I just say senseless cr*p, usually depending on the day. I hate myself sometimes when I've been too rude.
Quote from broken :2nd: He said it didn't work out

And most of the critics didn't notice?:

Quote from speed1230 :the worst film maker in history

I smell flaming coming, and I'm the victim

Edit: Why did I just waste about 8 weeks making this video?
I hate myself now >.<
Quote from speed1230 :I hate myself now >.<

why hate yourself over 1 video? surely there's alot worse things happening that you could beat yourself up about?
Quote from speed1230 :And most of the critics didn't notice?:

I smell flaming coming, and I'm the victim

Edit: Why did I just waste about 8 weeks making this video?
I hate myself now >.<

These "critics" seem to me like are only looking how to flame and "bash"(as said in someone's siggy iirc) lfs videos.

You did a good video. Everyone that races in OsR liked it so far, so nothing to worry about. Just some people that you have never met and are trying to ruin other people's excitement and motivation about something they are new in. So just let them say whatever they wanna say. Who says these "critics" are always right anyway? As we saw most of them notice and comment only parts from the videos and the replies that they like to, ignoring the rest.

And look at it from this way: It's the best video made for -OsR- so far (I bet someone will pick this part too, or maybe not after I already guessed so). So why worry?.
**critic**
•a person who is professionally engaged in the analysis and interpretation of works of art
•anyone who expresses a reasoned judgment of something

if you don't want someones opinion then don't ask for it.
if he had called the thread "fast slideshow ad" then it would of been good.
Quote from dadge :**critic**
•a person who is professionally engaged in the analysis and interpretation of works of art
•anyone who expresses a reasoned judgment of something

if you don't want someones opinion then don't ask for it.
if he had called the thread "fast slideshow ad" then it would of been good.

I didn't really remember wanting anyone's opinion on anything in this thread. In fact all I did was to say my opinion too. And "fast slideshow ad" - Admit it, you people just like to over-react, and right now you're doing it only because you want to make his work look bad. He spent time and effort to make this movie, and all you're doing is to grab tightly to that fps problem(which is only because of his PC) and (as we say in Bulgaria) make an elephant out of a fly.
Quote from speed1230 :
Praises and constructive criticisms are welcome but no comments that discourages me (this has happened many times to me).

that to me looks like you asking for us to critic your work. the second bit of that quote is super. you want us to tell you what we think of your video as long as we don't comment on the stuff we don't like.
the comments you got were constructive and not discouraging but yet you felt discouraged.
need to grow up a tad maybe?
Quote from dadge :as long as we don't comment on the stuff we don't like.

What I meant on "discouraging" criticism is something like this:

YOU ARE A FALIURE.

Had this on another LFS video which was on YT, soon deleted as the whole comments page got filled up with spam and those discouraging comments.

Sorry if I didn't make this clear enough

@part of your sig: You bet
so you agree that the comments were constructive then? if so, why post (and hide) comments like: " think I want to stop filming for eternity now! " and "I hate myself now >.<"
there has been many things mentioned in this thread that can help you make much better . so imo you should actually be embracing the criticism and moving forward.
remember, the more vids you make, the better you get at them.

also turn comments off on YT. it stops the spammers.
great video replica
wow it's really cool
Quote from broken :I didn't really remember wanting anyone's opinion on anything in this thread. In fact all I did was to say my opinion too. And "fast slideshow ad" - Admit it, you people just like to over-react, and right now you're doing it only because you want to make his work look bad. He spent time and effort to make this movie, and all you're doing is to grab tightly to that fps problem(which is only because of his PC) and (as we say in Bulgaria) make an elephant out of a fly.

You are the one that over reacted and turned this into a holy war. You came into a thread that you have no affiliation with, and basically proceeded to tell everyone and his brother that they are ****s for criticizing his works. Now would you rather have people come in and post smileys and "good effort" comments to make you feel better, or have people point out flaws that you could improve in your next works?

Quite frankly the idea of the video isn't that bad, it's just the technique used to create it. I noticed you said that slowing the game speed down and then increasing the frames doesn't work for you... All I know to tell you is you need to look back into that because I made videos for over a year with a computer build in the early 2000's. It's also obvious your recording at 1.000x per second, which is a huge no no.

Try this... Start fraps, and set it to record at 15 frames a second. Reduce the game speed to .5, or even .25 if nessicary. Record a shot and if your Frap's FPS stay at 15 then that's all you need to have flawless, lag free shots. Then right click the clip in Sony Vegas and increase the playback rate to ether 2 or 4, depending on the recording speed.

(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG