The online racing simulator
Preferred choice of controller
(30 posts, started )
#1 - Myst
Preferred choice of controller
Jeez some of the cars are a biatch to handle Hopefully improve on some of them in time.

Just wondering what's the preferred choice of controller amongst peeps?

I am just on the std. mouse/keyboard.
#2 - kel64
Wheel of course

Driving Force Pro to be exact.
#3 - P1lot
A wheel gives extra speed and consistency

and once you've tried Force Feedback, there's no going back
A Wheel,

Driving Force Pro,

(With 2 sets of driving for pro pedals, one for gas, brake & the other for Cluch & handbrake.)

Cheers,
Analogue joypad here, for some reason I cant drive PC with a wheel

Dan.
As has been asked many times before - wheel. Although I used to be faster when I used the kb
Wheel. MOMO Force.

Quote from the_angry_angel :As has been asked many times before - wheel. Although I used to be faster when I used the kb

How can someone be faster with the keyboard?
Firstly, I dont play every night, like I used to. The last 2 weeks, I've only raced once, infact. So its partially that, I suppose - I just had more continual practise with the kb. Its probably also down to the fact I'm a freak of nature and I treat driving the wheel like I would do driving a car into town
Wheel - really old trustmaster gt wheel and atm without force its quite hard to drive
#10 - mr_x
wheel, logitech momo black, FFB set to 0 in game aswell makes it easy to drive
Quote from marsden1002 :A Wheel,

(With 2 sets of driving for pro pedals, one for gas, brake & the other for Cluch & handbrake.)

where do you connect the second pedal set ?
Some pedals can plug straight into a game or usb port, without having to connect directly to a wheel.
#13 - Vesa
- MS FF wheel
- Finnmotion 3 pedal set

Thinking of getting a DFP at some point, but for now the MS wheel is fine. The pedals rawk
Logitech MOMO Racing here. busy with 2nd set of padels now....
Logitech Momo black here as well.

Quote from P1lot :and once you've tried Force Feedback, there's no going back

You can say that again!! I am racing in the NAL league and this past weekend I lost the force feedback at the race start. I couldn't drive it at all, absolutely no consistancy. I popped off many fastest times, ended up with the fastest time at the end, but only finished 5th of 15 a lap down in 40 laps. Should have been up there running with the front 2 guys. I drive with 60% in the profiler and 35-60% in LFS depending on the car. Tried to turn it up to 175% in LFS and still no feedback. When you loose the FF, you realize how much you use the feedback to drive the car.

Anyone else use the Logitech profiler and had it crap out while connected to a server? Unfortunately I thought when it did, it would then use the windows settings, but it didn't.
#16 - Myst
Seems that a wheel is the way to go, thought it would be but always good to get an opinion of those who play it often.

I tred a few different cars last night just to get a 1st impression (empty servers so not to annoy any one playing serious) - some are so hard to control, i havea PS2 wheel so i may get an adapter to use that on the pc and see how that goes.

Angel - yeah, i thought it would be a commonly asked question - about 2 seconds after i pressed submit, should have searched i guess.

Same on the main forums i haunt, generally get the stock questions, week in week out as here though always people willing to reply without getting irksome about it. plus it gives an oportunity to post their goodies again.

Thx all for taking time to reply though.
Quote from Hahni :where do you connect the second pedal set ?

I have two DFP. Two wheels are plugged in, but only using one wheel.

Its a treat to drive, but its hard to control cars from start as LFS dont support full cluch :S

Cheers,
Quote from Neokiller :Wheel - really old trustmaster gt wheel and atm without force its quite hard to drive

Aww, what an instrument! :heartbeat
I used one for 7 years, and it's still really steady compared to my Momo Racing Force
#19 - Gunn
I've trialled extensively Keyboard, Mouse, joystick (non ffb), and 3 different Wheels, and even the crappiest wheel beats the keyboard and mouse for control and precision. Although the mouse can be quite good for steering the digital inputs for brake and throttle are still a handicap. At one time I used mouse and pedals (broken wheel) and found after some getting used to it that it was quite ok.

You can't beat analogue control for smooth steering and throttle/brake control. In LFS as in real life racing these elements are fundamental to good racing performance and tyre & fuel preservation.
Was a DFP, until my pedals broke.

Now using a PS2 pad, not great, but better then kb/mouse i suppose..
Quote from Profi :Aww, what an instrument! :heartbeat
I used one for 7 years, and it's still really steady compared to my Momo Racing Force

I got a Thrustmaster T2 in 1996 I think running Indycar Racing 2 on a Pentium 75 MHz PC with a wopping 32 Mb ram. I used that Thrustmaster and Indycar combo through Thanksgiving of last year. Around that time, my wifes Aunt said she got a new PC and did I want her's? Sure, it was a Celeron 667. I tried NR2002 and could get it to run fairly well with most options minimized. Then February came along and I had to get the Momo (black) because I "Needed" force feedback. March I found LFS S1 demo and could run it with my celeron 667 as long as I started in the back. Late April found us with S2 alpha demo and I could no longer run S2. Then someone at work said he has a P4 2.5 that was hit with a powersurge. He couldn't get it to boot, already replaced it and I could have it if I wanted it. Sound card and modem replaced, OS reinstalled, booted and now I sit everynight driving S2 licensed. My wife is not happy LOL. But the point of this was I used the Thrustmaster T2 from 1996 up through 2004. There would be no reason to dust the cobwebs off of it if I wanted to use it again. It is still connected to the Celeron 667 machine where my 4 year old daughter loves to drive the GTi at Blackwood on the S1 demo that is still installed. She even made her own skin for it.
I also use the Driving Force Pro. I've got both the Driving Force and the DFP and there's a night and day difference between the two.

I did have both pedal sets hooked up so that I could use an analog clutch, but it really wasn't worth the effort. The clutch modeling in LFS leaves much to be desired, so I switched back to using only gas/brake and turning on auto-clutch. <shrug>
mouse with pedals would pwn all
Act Labs Force RS wheel & pedals, although i've been curious about the DFP and it's 900 degrees.
Quote from mrodgers :
Anyone else use the Logitech profiler and had it crap out while connected to a server? Unfortunately I thought when it did, it would then use the windows settings, but it didn't.

Yes, mine used to forget the buttons I'd programmed. More common when switching windows alot.
I've since always ensured that LFS is set as persistant profile in the Logitech profiler, no probs then.
(I use 40% ffb in profiler, 50-100% in game depending on car)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG