The online racing simulator
Quote from NotAnIllusion :I'm curious about the specifics. I found that (paraphrased): It's illegal because the viewer ought reasonably to know that an unauthorised decoder is being used to give someone else access to encoded content (The BBC stream, before it reaches the TV station).

My take is that watching unlicensed content via a pirate medium is illegal if the viewer knows or has reason to believe that the broadcaster is not licensed to show it. Whether it is prosecutable, is a different matter.

Quote from NotAnIllusion :It's a bit confusing, as I'm not sure what "reasonably" constitutes to. A person with little technical knowledge could well not be aware that an "unauthorised decoder" is required to provide the pirate stream of a free-to-air broadcast.

It depends on whether the reasonable-ness test is objective or subjective. An objective test is: "would a reasonable third-party person have known?", whereas a subjective test is: "should the defendant have reasonably known?".

The difference is subtle and significant. A reasonable third-party person might know that an illegal decoder is being used, but the defendant may be too ignorant or not be in a position to know that the decoder is illegal. Which is more just?
Martin Brundle just said "the turbo era with silly amount of HP"

which years were he talking about and how much HP did those turbocharged cars have?
Something serious for Timo Glock.
The BMW I4 made roughly 1400hp from a 1.5L motor In qualifying trim. I forget the exact years but it was in the 80's

Anyone notice how similar the japanese corner works are to oompa loompas?
Lol... 5 cars crashed at saturday...

Webber: KO
Algersuari: KO
Glock: KO
Buemi: KO
Kovalainen: KO
Wow, what a crazy session that was. Seb-crash-tian Buemi somehow managed to wreck the car twice and carry on driving.

Not impressed with the TV directing of the session; at one moment the director spent 20 seconds looking at the Force India garage when nothing was going on. I've never been impressed with the Japanese TV director.

But, should be a very interesting race tomorrow with Button down in 7th.

I'm going back to bed.
That was chaos :eye-poppi Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt, though I don't know how nasty that leg wound is. I was very worried when he disappeared under those tyres.

Made for great viewing though, I love you Suzuka!
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Wow, what a crazy session that was. Seb-crash-tian Buemi somehow managed to wreck the car twice and carry on driving.

AND actually qualifying 10th.

Great result in the end. Vettel 1st, Button 7th with Button possibly getting a penalty for ignoring yellow flags.
Ohh I so hope they get a penalty. Never know with the """""""""""Stewards""""""""" though.
Couldn't be arsed to get up early, but I'm happy to see Vettel in the pole.
Quote from JJ72 :

I download the race coverage by BBC but I don't think its stealing, since even if I wanted to pay for it, I couldn't.

That's an interesting legal point. If that's okay then I'm off to hotwire a M5 as soon as I finish work, because I can't afford one of those.
#62 - 5haz
There is a difference between not being able to afford something and never having the opportunity to buy something in the first place, regardless of whether you can afford itor not.
What an awesome qualy that was. So happy I woke up for it. Was so worth it
Quote from 5haz :There is a difference between not being able to afford something and never having the opportunity to buy something in the first place, regardless of whether you can afford itor not.

So I can take the Crown Jewels then? I don't have the opportunity to buy them so that's okay just to steal?

Taking something (be that physical or intellectual property) or using a service that you are not legally authorised to do is illegal. End of.

Maybe all the people on here whining about not being able to afford things would find their time better spent finding ways to earn money instead of being wrong about stuff on the internet.

ON TOPIC:

Odd qually no doubt. Nobody seemed to heed the lesson that Webber gave in FP3. Kovi did it twice - sure sign of someone who is not having a good week. He must be under a lot of pressure with the Raikkonen business. McLaren will have a terrific car next year from the start and it looks like the prospect of tooling round at the back in a Campos or Manor is filling him with dread.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Martin Brundle just said "the turbo era with silly amount of HP"

which years were he talking about and how much HP did those turbocharged cars have?

as stated the bmw gave 1400 bhp in quali trim, what made it really scary was the power curve ( cliff?) according to gordon murray at 8000 rpm it delivered 100 bhp, at 8300 it delivered 200 bhp, at 8400 it delivered 300 bhp, at 8500 bhp it delivered 1200 bhp !!!! imagine trying to judge your throttle with that curve, piquet snr admitted that he concentrated on getting the car through the bend at a constant speed before hanging on for dear life down the straight.

what i found most impressive was that one of the engines (cant for the life of me remember which make) was able, when the throttle was blipped in neutral, to gain a 1000 rpm with each turn of the crankshaft which has to be the closest to instant throttle response you'll ever come across, imagine it was turning at 3000 rpm and you blipped the throttle, to get to 12000 rpm took 9 turns of the crank which would be less than .2 of a second
Im looking forward to the race hefully not as boring as the Malasia race wich i did not watch thankfully since my dad said it was one of the most boring races ever.

Edit:
OMG now i remeber one every 2 years they switch from Fuji to SUzuka I love Suzuka even more @!!!!
#67 - 5haz
Quote from tinvek :as stated the bmw gave 1400 bhp in quali trim, what made it really scary was the power curve ( cliff?) according to gordon murray at 8000 rpm it delivered 100 bhp, at 8300 it delivered 200 bhp, at 8400 it delivered 300 bhp, at 8500 bhp it delivered 1200 bhp !!!! imagine trying to judge your throttle with that curve, piquet snr admitted that he concentrated on getting the car through the bend at a constant speed before hanging on for dear life down the straight.

I remember reading a quote from Piquet... "you don't drive this car, you aim it and pull the trigger".

Turbo era cars are great to watch, thank god for Youtube.
Weights are out...

01 McLaren Mercedes Lewis Hamilton 656.0
02 McLaren Mercedes Heikki Kovalainen 675.0
03 Ferrari Giancarlo Fisichella 661.5*
04 Ferrari Kimi Räikkönen 661.0
05 BMW Sauber Robert Kubica 686.0*
06 BMW Sauber Nick Heidfeld 660.0
07 Renault Fernando Alonso 689.5*
08 Renault Romain Grosjean 691.8*
09 Toyota Jarno Trulli 655.5
11 STR Ferrari Jaime Alguersuari 682.5*
12 STR Ferrari Sébastien Buemi 665.4*
15 RBR Renault Sebastian Vettel 658.5
16 Williams Toyota Nico Rosberg 684.5*
17 Williams Toyota Kazuki Nakajima 695.7*
20 Force India Mercedes Adrian Sutil 650.0
21 Force India Mercedes Vitantonio Liuzzi 682.5*
22 Brawn Mercedes Jenson Button 658.5
23 Brawn Mercedes Rubens Barrichello 660.5

*declared weight

Car numbers 10 and 14 will have a change of survival cell following the qualifying practice session.
Therefore no restrictions on fuel load are applied according to Article 28.2 of 2009 Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Edit: Also, penalties...

Quote :Five Formula 1 drivers were given penalties for not lifting off during a yellow-flag period in qualifying for the Japanese Grand Prix.

Championship leader Jenson Button, team-mate Rubens Barrichello, Renault driver Fernando Alonso, Force India's Adrian Sutil and Toro Rosso's Sebastien Buemi were given five-place grid penalties after the session.

#69 - CSF
Alonso was right, he won't be starting from 12th.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :So I can take the Crown Jewels then? I don't have the opportunity to buy them so that's okay just to steal?

Taking something (be that physical or intellectual property) or using a service that you are not legally authorised to do is illegal. End of.

No. If the crown Jewels were for sale for UK residents only it would be okay to steal a UK passport to buy them. There is a difference.

The property is being illegally restricted to a certain region. Illegally at least from the moral perspective, given that people and goods are supposed to cross borders freely (in the EU).

But hey, it's only a moral question: To support the monopoly of one company or free competition. The latter has the advantage of being the thing seperating us from communists.
Quote from hyntty :No. If the crown Jewels were for sale for UK residents only it would be okay to steal a UK passport to buy them. There is a difference.

Um, no.
Look up...
Quote from DevilDare :Look up...

Good call - one of the lightbulbs isn't working. I'll get Maintenance onto it on Monday. Thanks.
#75 - 5haz
Quote from Storm_Cloud :So I can take the Crown Jewels then? I don't have the opportunity to buy them so that's okay just to steal?

Never said it was legal, all I said is that there is a difference.

Quote from Storm_Cloud :Maybe all the people on here whining about not being able to afford things would find their time better spent finding ways to earn money instead of being wrong about stuff on the internet.

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

And its a saturday, give me a break, I spend all week learning how to dig for oil so that I can perhaps become rather rich before it all runs out for good or people stop needing it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG