The online racing simulator
Headphone help (hd555 vs hd595 etcetc)
Basicly I'm wanting to get rid of my (quite frankly horrible) Razer Barracuda HP-1 and ive decided I either want:

ATH AD700/HD595/HD555

These are for gaming AND music but mainly positional audio in games, (hence the lacking bass ad700 is there) im more inclined to go for a the sennheiser option but since I saw a topic recently where there apeared to be some nice audio talk going on I figured I would try and get some help from some of the Audiophilles of this forum to save me registering and making a horrible first post and a audio forum.

I'm not to worried about sounds around me as its generaly quite quiet so the open back should be no problem, I'd like to know if anyone has ever used the HD555's and the HD595's and what difference did you hear (particulary unamped) and would these differences make a difference in gaming, positional audio and such, I know the 555's have a foam thing in which the 595's dont and it can be taken out but I'm not confident enough with headpphones to do this and this would make me pay the extra for the 595's in the first place if its making much of a difference.

I've rambled on horribly and made this much longer than it should seen while giving pointless information (I've even forgotten half of what ive wrote).

I'm currently using a Xonar D2X and dont own a headphone amp or plan on getting one anytime soon, all though I would like to know what (ohms?) or independence or what ever it is this card puts out, I'm assuming its not high enough for a higher range headset since Xonar actully have a different card in the series for this purpose.

tl;dr:

Will I hear a difference between the HD595 or HD555 for positional sound in games without a headphone amp through my Xonar D2X?

This seems like a awfully stupid thing to post on a forum but now ive wrote it I mayswell go ahead with it.

Cheers, Jim.

edit: How much will the open back sound effect audio positioning and is there ANY difference at all between the openness of the HD595 and 555 other than the foam thing?
Quote from hazaky :Google always helps. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/ ... hd-555-vs-hd-595-a-84322/

And we have "Hardware" section too in the forum.

IVe been browsing the headfi forums for a few hours which is where I got the original suggestions for headphones, positional audio and music are two different things thoe, hence im asking if anyone would be able to particulary give me any information regarding that, yes I want them for music, but gaming is important and I want the sound for competetive play not enjoyement of "oohh that sounds nice" partly due to why I use a low bass equalizer in game.

Cheers for moving it whoever did.
Well, im absolutely sure that they will sound perfect in music, gaming, movies and everything. I bought myself the Creative HS-1000 (Known as Fatal1ty Headset) about a month ago and theyr alot cheaper. The headphones do amazing sound and the Sennheiser is known as one of the best heeadphone brand on the market at the moment.

I cant really do a review and help you on this question, but ... I searched up both headphones specs and maybe i can help you on this a bit.

Sennheiser 595 has lower bass response wich is always better (12Hz) but basically with headphones your good with lowest bass response of 20Hz for example, most explosion sounds in games movies have lowest of 20Hz or above frequency. That already tells us that 595 must have better speakers in it wich. A correct speaker can play all frequencys at the same time with no problems - so it means that it has better quality speakers in it. The same thing with the higher frequency response. Both have sensitivy of 112dB wich makes them even. The more dB it has, means that the less power is needed to feed the set. But, lower dB means cleaner voice and bass. Cant really tell more because it seems like there are only few sites who show the full specs of the both headphones. My recommendation is the Sennheiser 595 because of the lower and higher frequency response. And also, an average person wont tell the difference between them actually so if youre really into high quality sound then 595 is better i guess. For me, the question is just about wich design u like the best. Both are awesome.

Edit: Sites i checked for specs:
Sennheiser 555
Sennheiser 595
#5 - wien
A word of warning about the HD555. On mine the velvet(?) cover on both the earphones and the head-bar-thingy have come loose, which means the foam pads inside are easily dislocated. The plastic has also split on one of the earphone attachment points (easily glued), so build quality is hardly stellar.

They've seen a fair bit of use though, so I'm not sure if other headphones would have faired any better.
you don't need a mic at all?
Quote from StableX :you don't need a mic at all?

I guess so, if he already wants headphones in that price/quality class then those crappy integrated mic's wont satisfie him lol. (My point of view)
Quote from hazaky :Sennheiser 595 has lower bass response wich is always better (12Hz) but basically with headphones your good with lowest bass response of 20Hz for example, most explosion sounds in games movies have lowest of 20Hz or above frequency. That already tells us that 595 must have better speakers in it wich. A correct speaker can play all frequencys at the same time with no problems - so it means that it has better quality speakers in it. The same thing with the higher frequency response. Both have sensitivy of 112dB wich makes them even. The more dB it has, means that the less power is needed to feed the set. But, lower dB means cleaner voice and bass. Cant really tell more because it seems like there are only few sites who show the full specs of the both headphones. My recommendation is the Sennheiser 595 because of the lower and higher frequency response. And also, an average person wont tell the difference between them actually so if youre really into high quality sound then 595 is better i guess. For me, the question is just about wich design u like the best. Both are awesome.

Well, I don't think you'll hear that much of a difference in the low frequencies. You can't hear anything under 20 Hz anyway.

Just going after what you know about the technical side of the headphone is cute, but if you really want to buy one... I'd be sure to test them out in the store. In any decent store you can.

I tested both, when I wanted to buy a new headphone and the difference was very small. Yes there's a difference, but how far do you want to go? After all, the difference was 100 euro's or so.

I went for a Beyerdynamic DT880. I think, with these prices, it depends a lot on taste, or the sound you're looking for.
#9 - TiJay
I have the 595s and they're brilliant, buy them. Just bear in mind open headphones annoy people around you. Oh, and don't pay over the odds. I got mine for £80ish from Amazon, seems the price has risen since. However, Currys Digital have them for £150, which is a pisstake so be careful!
Quote from TiJay :Just bear in mind open headphones annoy people around you.

You know I was worried about this when I started wearing my headphones at work, as I need to be able to hear my name being spoken or the phone ringing, so my IEMs are clearly no good in such a situation. As it turns out, even at what I consider reasonable to loudish listening volumes, sound leakage is minimal and I don't disturb the people sat near me, an it's hardly a loud place where I work. Yet all external sounds come through just fine, so if anything the reverse is true - their irrelevant talking still annoys me!
Quote from jimaxx :Basicly I'm wanting to get rid of my (quite frankly horrible) Razer Barracuda HP-1 and ive decided I either want:

ATH AD700/HD595/HD555

These are for gaming AND music but mainly positional audio in games, (hence the lacking bass ad700 is there) im more inclined to go for a the sennheiser option but since I saw a topic recently where there apeared to be some nice audio talk going on I figured I would try and get some help from some of the Audiophilles of this forum to save me registering and making a horrible first post and a audio forum.

I'm not to worried about sounds around me as its generaly quite quiet so the open back should be no problem, I'd like to know if anyone has ever used the HD555's and the HD595's and what difference did you hear (particulary unamped) and would these differences make a difference in gaming, positional audio and such, I know the 555's have a foam thing in which the 595's dont and it can be taken out but I'm not confident enough with headpphones to do this and this would make me pay the extra for the 595's in the first place if its making much of a difference.

I've rambled on horribly and made this much longer than it should seen while giving pointless information (I've even forgotten half of what ive wrote).

I'm currently using a Xonar D2X and dont own a headphone amp or plan on getting one anytime soon, all though I would like to know what (ohms?) or independence or what ever it is this card puts out, I'm assuming its not high enough for a higher range headset since Xonar actully have a different card in the series for this purpose.

tl;dr:

Will I hear a difference between the HD595 or HD555 for positional sound in games without a headphone amp through my Xonar D2X?

This seems like a awfully stupid thing to post on a forum but now ive wrote it I mayswell go ahead with it.

Cheers, Jim.

edit: How much will the open back sound effect audio positioning and is there ANY difference at all between the openness of the HD595 and 555 other than the foam thing?

I have the Hd595, and have heard the AD700, and can tell you the HD595 is also lacking in bass, and tiney sounding, very bad imo.
For gaming I would highley reccomend Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro or Shures new SRH840, I have both; DT770 is better for gaming and SRH840 for Music.
Both these headphones are easy to drive, but I would still reccomend a headphone amp.
Totally untrue that the 595s are lacking in bass - it's just not bloated or overly boomy.
Quote from TiJay :Totally untrue that the 595s are lacking in bass - it's just not bloated or overly boomy.

To me it sounded a bit sloppy.. Or, muddy, when I tried it. I don't know what it is, I always have that idea with Sennheiser headphones.
Try to find a store where they have those headphones and let you listen to them. I couldn't tell the difference between HD595 and HD555 so I went with cheaper option, DT770 Pro's had little bit too much bass and price.

One thing to look out for is comfort, what specs won't tell you is how well suited they are for your head. Worst thing you can do is spend lots of money on "the best" headphones which are uncomfortable to use.
For me, the Senns are very comfortable - you can almost forget you're wearing them.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG