The online racing simulator
Pigeon Faster Than Broadband
(23 posts, started )
& i thought Orange were s***.
#3 - Bean0
Bloody stupid story.

Winston had an effective 'upload' speed of (4096MB in 2 hours) (4194304KB in 7200 Seconds) 582.54 KB/sec.

I bet not many here can compete with that.
Quote from Bean0 :I bet not many here can compete with that.

maybe not from an endpoint, but on the backbone, there should be boatloads of bandwidth to spare...

the thing that's funny about this whole thing, is that they wanted to prove their internet was fast, and they failed.
I make the calculation slightly different:

data_transmitted = 4096 (MB) * 1024 (KB) * 8 (Bits) = 33554432 bits
time_taken = 128 (minutes) * 60 (seconds) = 7680 seconds
upload_speed = 4369 kbit/sec

Things have come a long way in 200 years, for instance, the amount of data that can be crammed onto a carrier pidgeon.
Quote from Becky Rose :Things have come a long way in 200 years, for instance, the amount of data that can be crammed onto a carrier pidgeon.

maybe they tied a SSD to its ankle.
So is this this Tweet-er thing everyone keeps going on about ?
Quote from Mazz4200 :So is this this Tweet-er thing everyone keeps going on about ?

hah. i knew it was a matter of time before someone said that.
#9 - 5haz
Not if I shoot it it wont. :mischievo
I dunno, I'd like to see a pigeon carry the amount of data that I download every day.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I dunno, I'd like to see a pigeon carry the amount of data that I download every day.

What he said
1 pidgeon for every illegally downloaded film?

There's enough going spare at Trafalgar in London and the dam in Amsterdam.

Infact i've been wondering, has anybody ever actually seen a baby pidgeon? I havn't. So where do they all come from?

I have a theory that they are extra dimensional beings and only come to this reality as adults in order to eat bread thrown by tourists, and that somewhere there is a dimension full of baby pidgeons.
I had, until about 3 weeks ago, a pigeon nesting in the Monkey Puzzle tree in my front garden. Presumably it produced offspring, although I didn't see them - I was too puzzled by the tree to get a good look at the nest!

Becky - it's pigeon. No 'd'
I have too. Goring station where I get the train from school. Damn things in every hole on the wall.
#15 - 5haz
I saw a baby pigeon the other week, it was dead in my back garden.

We actually have a plague of them, theres literally hundreds of the things, everywhere you look.

Most fun are the pigeons in Poland, you run at a crowd of then and they don't even flinch, then they land on your head.
Quote from tristancliffe :I had, until about 3 weeks ago, a pigeon nesting in the Monkey Puzzle tree in my front garden. Presumably it produced offspring, although I didn't see them

See, you didnt actually spot a baby one, this is all part of a clever ruse into fooling us that there are no extra dimensions, when really Pigeons are the masters of every reality bar this one - we're the last line of defence against invasion !

Quote from DevilDare :I have too. Goring station where I get the train from school. Damn things in every hole on the wall.

Baby ones or adults? Think long and hard about this, is there a baby one?

Quote from 5haz :I saw a baby pigeon the other week, it was dead in my back garden.

You see, they dropped their dead off in this dimensions in order to try and fool us into thinking that there are baby pigeons, they're cunning these pigeons.

How do you think they always know the way home? It's obvious: They simply pop home into their own dimension and come back where they want to be the next time they are hungry for some tourists bread.
Quote from Becky Rose : How do you think they always know the way home? It's obvious: They simply pop home into their own dimension and come back where they want to be the next time they are hungry for some tourists bread.

:rolleyes: Don't be silly, they use sat nav.

They do, they do actually sort of. They actually follow the road and rail network and work out their route home. Next time you see a lorry driving along the motorway take a close look, you'll see all the pigeons looking out the window to see which way they're being taken. Honest-ish
#18 - 5haz
I know how to thwart a pigeon though, feed it an aspirin tablet, and stand back.

I have succeeded where Dick Dastardly and Mutley failed.
I don't see how this works as a story. The pigeon is only faster than broadband over short distances or if it's carrying a huge amount of data. See what's quicker to send 250 kilobytes from South Africa to New York. Plus data transmitted over the Internet doesn't get lost in storms.
Quote from Becky Rose :There's enough going spare at Trafalgar in London

Actually Trafalgar is pretty empty of pigeons these days. At least compared to two decades ago when you could hardly walk because of them.

Quote :
Infact i've been wondering, has anybody ever actually seen a baby pidgeon? I havn't. So where do they all come from?

I have a theory that they are extra dimensional beings and only come to this reality as adults in order to eat bread thrown by tourists, and that somewhere there is a dimension full of baby pidgeons.

Come to think of it, you have a point. I'll subscribe to that theory too I think.

Darling: Are you telling us you haven't had a pigeon, Blackadder?
Melchett: Come on man you must have done, I sent our top bird, Speckled Jim. My own true love, whose been with me since I was a nipper.

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG