The online racing simulator
Opposed piston engine
(22 posts, started )
Opposed piston engine
As I make a completely random appearance, I thought I would show you this!

Opposed piston engine link 1:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/0 ... der-engine-ups-power-den/

Opposed piston engine link 2:
http://engineeringtv.com/blogs ... osed-cylinder-engine.aspx

As you know what the name is called, this engine might be the engine of the future (oh BTW, link 2 is a video)! This engine has an insane amount of power! Each "piston slot" produces as much power as a normal car, plus 664 ft-lb of torque as well. Pretty cool, huh?
More granny engines
the engine of the future is the HP2g v-8 (at least in america)
this "ze future of ze motoring from Germanland" is actually quite old.
I've been on a 22 year old vessel a few years back, and... well... yeah, opposed piston layout.
Nothing new. The concept has been around as long as pistons and conrods, and they've been build many times for use with gasoline, steam and, probably, other fuels.

It won't save the world. It's not even particularly clever.
Isnt that what BMW has been doing with their boxer bikes for ages?
Quote from BurnOut69 :Isnt that what BMW has been doing with their boxer bikes for ages?

No, a typical BMW, or Porsche or Subaru for another couple of examples, 4stroke boxer engine has the usual 1 piston per cylinder firing at the "top" of the cylinder, they also have valves and camshafts at the cylinder head.

This engine design has 2 pistons in each cylinder with some very long connecting rods, compressing from both ends and firing where they meet halfway along the cylinder, plus intake/exhaust ports in the sides because there is no normal "cylinder head" in which to place the valves and also because it is essentially a 2 stroke engine.

Like Tristan says, though, it's not new, and I don't think it's a viable road-going car engine unless there's also some 2-stroke wizardry to pass emissions tests.
Tristan hates everything except conventional 4-stroke petrol engines though - I think he has shares in OPEC
nothing new, try fitting three crankshaft running opposed pistons in a delta shape in one engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... s4Scs&feature=related

stick it in a train and you get one of the greatest diesel trains ever, probably the only one to compete with steam engines for the affections of train enthusiasts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... tn-AM&feature=related

(not a train enthusiast my self but the deltics sure had plenty of power for a 1950's design)

EDIT: forgot to say they put two of these monsters in each deltic
Oh, well I didn't know it was old. It just randomly showed up on ultimate car page, and everyone said it was a new idea. Well, sorry for the spam thread then.
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :Oh, well I didn't know it was old. It just randomly showed up on ultimate car page, and everyone said it was a new idea. Well, sorry for the spam thread then.

And that's why you shouldn't read Ultimate Car Page.

That deltic locomotive engine is pretty suave, though.
Quote from MAGGOT :And that's why you shouldn't read Ultimate Car Page.

That deltic locomotive engine is pretty suave, though.

agreed. And this is completely random, and you will be like after I say it, but did you know Mars will be closer to Earth than it's ever been in 1000 years? It will rise (and I am going by american time) on the 26th between 10:00 PM and midnight, and finally set on the 27th at 3:00 AM. It is said that it is supposed to be as big as the moon to the naked eye.
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :(and I am going by american time)

You are aware that there are multiple time zones in America, right?
You're also 6 years late.

Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :It is said that it is supposed to be as big as the moon to the naked eye.

You realise that Mars is about double the size of the moon, so for this to be true, it would have to be only twice as far away as the moon. That wouldn't be just "getting a bit closer" it would be a near miss. It would be close enough to mess up the tides big style.
Quote from MAGGOT :You are aware that there are multiple time zones in America, right?

well yeah, but I mean where I am at. I thought that I would share that since it is literally a once in a lifetime event. It will still be like somewhere between 70 million and 95 million miles away though. But tonight, when it rises, and then sets, we will never see Mars that close ever again.
#18 - JJ72
don't give a shit really.

I'll have the largest pimple in my life time next tuesday, anyone wants a livestream?
if its any help the next time mars is at it's closest is on 27 january, 2010 at approx 03:09 GMT

(don't ask, its bad enough going on about trains without throwing astronomy into the mix )
Quote from tinvek :if its any help the next time mars is at it's closest is on 27 january, 2010 at approx 03:09 GMT

(don't ask, its bad enough going on about trains without throwing astronomy into the mix )

Maybe I should go get info about it first, and then see if I can post. :doh:

Opposed piston engine
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG