The online racing simulator
Summary of how to set up a car for a certain track
Iv bben looking at the LFS Manual and one of these people who does not like reading lines and lines of text and most of the time is like wtf i dont understand. so here my little question

In a summary how should i go about working on a set up for a track

[ example]
What i mean is
1. Ajust the stiffness of the spring down or up a few clicks
2 ajust the anti roll a few click

go out test these for x laps

[end of example]

and Please do not say try and use setups that are in this forum or any other website

cheers

Dave Roberts
You shouldn't have to touch the springs. IMO, they should be set and then left alone. The main things that I change from track to track, are:

1. dampers (transient response)
2. ARB's (steady state response)
3. downforce (if applicable)
4. ride height (depending on bumpiness of the track and level of downforce)
5. camber
6. tire pressure
7. clutch pack diff locking
8. gearing

IMO, there isn't really any kind of rigid process to making/modifying a set. The most important part is being able to identify problems in the setup and addressing those problems accordingly through scientific experimentation.
#3 - scipy
Cmon forbin, if he doesn't even wanna read the manual and doesn't understand crap, lay off the dampers and shiz.

1. take a set you liked on some other track (or a hotlap set for the current track if making a race set)
2. adjust gearing first, top gear to run out of rpm at the end of longest straight, other gears suited for particular corners: i.e. if you are approaching a corner in 3rd gear and have to shift to 4th for like 0.5 sec and then downshift again - make the 3rd gear longer
3. downforce (depending on the car): for formula type cars you want 1 click more of rear wing if making a race set that will carry a high fuel load since the fuel tank is in the rear. Opposite for FZR for example (since fuel tank is in front).
4. probably leave the springs and dampers as they are (since damper settings depend on spring stiffness anyway) and just adjust the antirollbars if you want more or less oversteer
5. in RWD cars if the rear is getting away, don't put more wing right away, try more rear toe in (+ values)
6. if the car feels sloppy on turn in you can increase front camber a bit, if the rear is breaking away progressivley through a corner then increase rear camber a bit (which ever end has more negative camber that end has more grip)
7. go read the manual, it's there for a reason. this is the last time i'm writing any help/guide for people who are too lazy to help themselves.
Quote from typhirion :[I'm] one of these people who does not like reading lines and lines of text and most of the time is like wtf i dont understand.

In a summary how should i go about working on a set up for a track

With the first sentence, I'd suggest either using the standard setup or taking up Waterpolo. If you don't want to learn about setups then there's not a lot we can do without you having to read.

If you change your mind and are happy to read some text - a very simple task I might add - then the world shall be your oyster.
Quote from tristancliffe :

a very simple task I might add

not when you are dislexic it is not. but i see where you are comming from. may sit down some time try and read it, I should have really said what i was really wanting to say but I thought i was better to do it this way but i failed

what i really wanted to know was gearing and it seems like i cannot get it right

thank you to you guys how are willing to take the time and type of a simple but efective summary

sorry for any confusion
I believe the head of the NDA said the best way to 'beat' dyslexia is to exercise the brain, read more, and fight it. Don't use dyslexia as an analogy for lazyness. It's why people like me don't have any sympathy for people who play the dyslexic card.

Anyway, gearing - what do you want to know?

Set top gear so that you're just passed peak power at the end of the longest straight.
Set 1st so that your starts aren't awful, or to suit the slowest corner on the track.
Set the intermediate gears so that you have slightly reducing gaps between them (i.e. the gap between 4th and 5th must be a bit less than the gap between 1st and 2nd due to torque multiplication).
Quote from typhirion :not when you are dislexic it is not. but i see where you are comming from. may sit down some time try and read it, I should have really said what i was really wanting to say but I thought i was better to do it this way but i failed

what i really wanted to know was gearing and it seems like i cannot get it right

thank you to you guys how are willing to take the time and type of a simple but efective summary

sorry for any confusion

I've had the same problem too. However, I've found a method. This may not apply to you, but it does to me.

Anyways, I discovered that I cannot read in front of the monitor, as it looks like jarble - garble, and whatever. This is what happened to me when I was like 10 years old, trying to read ground school material in FS9. So last year I printed it all out, and read it as a bed time story. Amazingly enough, I read everything from the beginning to the PPL section of it. Afterwards, was all de-briefs.

I did this with the Advanced Setup Guide, which I have beside me, with my reading lamp on right now. I can use it at anytime. However, after reading it once, I've lost interest of reading it again. I should however, because it IS rich material. I suggest you to read it.

All I have to do now, is get books on car setup...

Try it out; I hope it helps you. If it doesn't, don't flame me for being environmental unfriendly
If you've read this far down in the post, you could have read the basic setup guide!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG