The online racing simulator
Massa: will he race in Valencia?
(96 posts, started )

Poll : Will Massa race in Valencia?

Closed since :
No!
Yes!
#76 - 5haz
Quote from Mustafur :has 50 people died in a rugby game to one of the plays falling into the spectators?

Considering most rugby players are built like a brick shytehouse, I wouldn't be too suprised.
Quote from 5haz :Considering most rugby players are built like a brick shytehouse, I wouldn't be too suprised.

I'd rather be killed instantly than have a rugby boot stud jabbed in my eye.
Luciano Burti, brazilian F1 driver for Prost at 2001, said the main problem on the actual helmets are the two screw visor mouting. The carbon fiber helmets got a lot better since his accident at Spa, but at that time, there were four screws for the visor. Year after year, two of them were removed by the helmet makers... to reduce weight.

And Schuberth had already announced they'll be using a new helmet model in the European GP, with titanium reinforcements between the visor and the body, where there was previously only plastic. It's a reaction to the accident, and they say it's now two times safer than the one Massa was using, priced at US$17,000.
Quote from wild :Tell us what can be done to make it safer? Closed-cockpit racing cars, Formula One is all about the essence open-cockpit racing. No one wants to see people going around in a closed cockpit, They want to see the drivers in open-cockpit racing cars.

Then there's the question of safety if a drivers in a crashes. What happens if the closed-cockpit won't open?

Who said anything about F1, he was talking about motorports?

Quote :What point are you trying to make with this?

That motorsport in general can be made safer much easier then alot of other sports

Quote :Edit: You said in a previous post that it's too dangerous, now you're saying it's not as dangerous due to the safety measures taking. Please make up your mind.

I never said its too dangerous at all i said that it may be regulated to be more safer due to recent events with Surtees and Massa

Quote :Not that I currently know of, but a lot more people have died with stadiums collapsing than the 26 drivers who've died behind the wheel of a Formula One car.

There are grand stands in F1 races as well your point is invalid.

Quote :Just out of curiosity where are you getting the figure 50 from?

1955 Le Mans nearly 80 people where actually killed.

Quote :That's obvious isn't it, he wasn't comparing motorsport though, he was comparing other sports.

Yes, he was he was comparing it to Motorsport

Quote :As you've said previously you can make motorsport can be made safer, how can you make rallying safer? Asides removing all of the trees and spectators ..?

Its been done before(banning of group B), limiting power and making the cars more regulated in terms of build structure(it probably wont stop accidents of death but it could prevent it happeneing as frequently with more predictable cars) its all possible the problem is the aspect of the sport could/would change.
Quote from PedraumF :Luciano Burti, brazilian F1 driver for Prost at 2001, said the main problem on the actual helmets are the two screw visor mouting. The carbon fiber helmets got a lot better since his accident at Spa, but at that time, there were four screws for the visor. Year after year, two of them were removed by the helmet makers... to reduce weight.

And Schuberth had already announced they'll be using a new helmet model in the European GP, with titanium reinforcements between the visor and the body, where there was previously only plastic. It's a reaction to the accident, and they say it's now two times safer than the one Massa was using, priced at US$17,000.

You guys going to flame him or what?
Quote from Mustafur :

I never said its too dangerous at all i said that it may be regulated to be more safer due to recent events with Surtees and Massa

The point is these were both freak accidents, and you CAN'T regulate those kind of accidents!
Gah...
Quote from BlueFlame :The point is these were both freak accidents, and you CAN'T regulate those kind of accidents!

Both where freak accidents but very similar in nature.

However Surtees incident basically was an unavoidable death with something that heavy hitting you at speed, and the main safety issue there that needed to be addressed was the loose tyre rather then it Hitting Surtees.

There have been some minor Improvments to the helments after the massa incident though, but FIA will still continue to push with safety so they will basically take anything as an a example.

Safety is ever improving and will probably continue to be so untill its deemed ''Too safe.''
The two accident were not similar, and not linked, other than something hitting a driver. That's a rather tenuous link.

Not sure how you can stop a wheel from coming off now and again. Stupid people probably blame the tethers, but as the tethers worked beautifully in that accident it's not a good place to start. You could beef up stub axles so that they cannot break under any conceivable load. You could mandate that wheel nuts and wheels have to be steel. You could mandate that a particular thread form has to be used on the stub axles. But wheels will still come off now and again, especially when you hit things...
Quote from tristancliffe :The two accident were not similar, and not linked, other than something hitting a driver. That's a rather tenuous link.

Not sure how you can stop a wheel from coming off now and again. Stupid people probably blame the tethers, but as the tethers worked beautifully in that accident it's not a good place to start. You could beef up stub axles so that they cannot break under any conceivable load. You could mandate that wheel nuts and wheels have to be steel. You could mandate that a particular thread form has to be used on the stub axles. But wheels will still come off now and again, especially when you hit things...

I think most stupid people would think this is the cure for it:

http://www.hodge.co.nz/images/product/image-5.jpg
#87 - wild
Quote from BlueFlame :Well they way I see it, a closed cockpit single seater is MORE dangerous, through fire etc.

Think back to the Coulthard/Wurz accident...what would have happened had they been driving these cars? And the cover would just fail at it's mounting points in a lot of crashes.
You would stop watching if they add a closed cockpit? I don't understand. Whatever. I don't care about the looks, I enjoy the fast racing.
It would be a major turnoff for me, but I think it's something you'll (well, me at least) will get used to
Simple as : No.

He is not gonna drive, i'd be surprised if we even see him rest of the year.
#93 - wild
Quote from Bonham :You would stop watching if they add a closed cockpit? I don't understand. Whatever. I don't care about the looks, I enjoy the fast racing.

Yeah I would simple enough. It wouldn't be the same, who really wants to see drivers going around the track in a closed-cockpit? I don't for one.

They've managed 60 years with open-cockpits, with only 26 drivers losing their life behind the wheel of a Formula One car. Two freak accidents within a week and now they're wanting to use closed-cockpits. Why change it now?

Then there's that whole aspect of safety, What if a driver gets trapped ... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.
So wild, you don't like touringcar races? They're closed cockpit cars
#95 - wild
Quote from Sponge :So wild, you don't like touringcar races? They're closed cockpit cars

Not really I hardly ever watch them
Putting a closed Cockpit on an F1 car takes away what it is imo.

Massa: will he race in Valencia?
(96 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG