The online racing simulator
Quote from Breizh :Well dang.. I coulda sworn I'd seen wings on those GTRs.

The XFR has a rear wing and splitter in the model, but there's no adjustable down force settings. The UFR is just a Mini with flared wheel arches. No wings/spoilers/splitters.
Since the thread questioning if the update is near is now gone, I suppose we should continue speculation in here again.

The recently added .torrent download of LFS has me a little puzzled.

Surely people prefer a http download of something that is only 130mb ?
Could it be that the next update is of such a size that people would prefer the .torrent ?
Will we now have an influx of BitTorrent related questions, thinly veiled behind the legitimate download ?
Quote from Bean0 :Since the thread questioning if the update is near is now gone, I suppose we should continue speculation in here again.

The recently added .torrent download of LFS has me a little puzzled.

Surely people prefer a http download of something that is only 130mb ?
Could it be that the next update is of such a size that people would prefer the .torrent ?
Will we now have an influx of BitTorrent related questions, thinly veiled behind the legitimate download ?

but torrents can bring viruses on your pc right ? ( not if ure dawedust... )
Quote from el pibe :but torrents can bring viruses on your pc right ? ( not if ure dawedust... )

BitTorrent is like a box of chocolates...You never know whut you're gonna git.

An official torrent from an official site should be clean, the risk is mostly from dodgy torrents and the sites you would need to visit to get them.
Anything you download from "teh innerwebs" can give you a virus, including web pages. It's all just a matter of common sense. If you're doing something illegal (like piracy) you have to accept that the other people doing the same might be a bit dodgy. You couldn't hang around stealing cars and then complain when one of you accomplices steals yours

Maybe the torrent support is for patches. The first game I ever saw doing this was GunZ, where you patch via torrent and download from players rather than a central server. Eases the bandwidth for the host.

Would be nice if the next patch had the fabled Rally Pack (don't mention the Rally Pack!) or DX9 updates, but I'm not going to go nuts hoping for it
Did I head the word RALLYPACK ?...
Given that a lot of ISPs nowadays aggressively traffic shape anything they recognise as BT traffic, this could cause quite a lot of headaches.

Also, a lot of packages have monthly transfer allowances.
There's no chance I'm using up any of mine sharing stuff to the masses if I have any choice about it.
Now that would be funny too, but basically anything new, and by that I mean t-r-a-c-k-s I would be thrilled. No offence but I don't give a flying duck about cars, we have enough allready, but we have no near enough tracks.
So it's this time of the year again.
It always is this time of the year.
Holy tinfoil batman, the torrent is most likely only there as a sometimes-slow-but-reliable backup in case the regular servers shit themselves, which usually happens on a new major release when everyone and his grandma downloads the new version at the same time.

Personally I avoid torrents whenever possible, simply because they often take quite a while to get going and even then the acquired speed is often less than stellar. They also don't tend to last very long and once the seeders are gone you're SOL, but for release day they can be invaluable.
Quote from lizardfolk :Did I hear MOAR OVALS + STOCKCAR

Ever since Bob released that mod of his I have had suspicions about it finding its way into the game.
Quote from lizardfolk :Did I hear MOAR OVALS + STOCKCAR

I'm not one for the rumour mill, but this sounds really plausible to me, especially with the work Bob Smith has done with his stock car "mod".
Quote from AndroidXP :Holy tinfoil batman, the torrent is most likely only there as a sometimes-slow-but-reliable backup in case the regular servers shit themselves, which usually happens on a new major release when everyone and his grandma downloads the new version at the same time.

Personally I avoid torrents whenever possible, simply because they often take quite a while to get going and even then the acquired speed is often less than stellar. They also don't tend to last very long and once the seeders are gone you're SOL, but for release day they can be invaluable.

what he said. It's nice to have for release days and the rest of the time it doesn't hurt having an extra download location either. I was kinda surprised it's actually being used though And i tested yesterday and got 1.6MB/s, which isn't bad at all. Plus the torrent won't die because we seed it indefinitely.

Anyway, it was mainly just a small side project for me writing a torrent tracker, so don't think too much about it
But then again, it seems you preparing for release of a good patch then
I'll let it rest there, but good to see 'ya alive and kicking.
Quote from The Very End :I'll let it rest there

And what's the point of a speculation thread if you just let it lie?

Monster trucks and 17 new tracks and MOAR V8 cars!111111lolmydadnmygf!!!!

I believe I've restored the balance now.
That epic bobsleigh track topic had some good idea's in it, wish to see some of them implentet
When that is said, I am :hyper: 'ly waiting for more info.
Quote from The Very End :Did I head the word RALLYPACK ?...

RALLYPACK! :hyper::faint2:

On a more serious not the torrent is a good idea. While people don't talk about it too much alot of people do download torrents (legally and illegally.) I have enough going on outside LFS to keep me occupied but I am waiting eagerly for the next patch.

For the next patch I would say the VWS, some physics changes (backed up by scawen mentioning not wanting to wipe the hotlaps until he has to) are very probable. Past that though to be honest I have no idea though anything extra is always a bonus.

While these sort of threads can cause a fair bit of disruption, I wonder if scavier read these threads to see what could be added (though I think Scawen already knows) but also to see whose getting it right.
I don't think Scawen has time to read through the endless reams of "I want" threads. But I'm pretty sure he's looked in the community suggestions sticky. I just wish that was still updated, since it was a great resource. There's a good few of the things "we" wanted that have been added since they made that list.

I'd update it myself, but I can't guarantee I'd have the time. And obviously it's not my post
Legal torrents - especially those that contain files in their final state, ie .iso .exe etc - are often quite well seeded and thus are usually quite fast.

Just take a look at the more popular linux distributions like knoppix* where most internet connections can be maxed out assuming your torrent settings are correct. I saw speeds over 50MByte/s once.

A lot of games websites and publishers have started using various styles of peer-to-peer similar to bittorrent to reduce load on their servers when distributing patches and other downloads.

For the vast majority of people this won't affect the end users' "bandwidth" caps as they usually only count downloads and not uploads. I've heard of one ISP in Japan and maybe a couple in Australia that impose any kind of cap on uploads. In the case of the ISP in Japan, it was on a 100Mbit (possibly even 1Gbit) symmetrical connection and that upload limit was set at 100 or 200GBytes to discourage people on home connections starting file hosting websites.

* (a side note - I believe I'm right in saying that bittorrent was originally designed to distribute linux distros and larger FOSS applications in the days before broadband proliferation)
UKFSN and other Entanet resellers certainly include upload in your monthly allowance.
I don't know why but I'm sensing a small suprise other than the Scirocco and the new physics.
Quote from kimd41 :I don't know why but I'm sensing a small suprise other than the Scirocco and the new physics.

Of course the changelog from Z15 to 0.6A won't look like this:

Changes from 0.5Z15 to 0.6A:

New S1 car : VW Scirocco
Improved FWD understeering physics

I think that there will probabyl be more minor updates / fixes in the patch.
Quote from Flame CZE :Of course the changelog from Z15 to 0.6A won't look like this:

Changes from 0.5Z15 to 0.6A:

New S1 car : VW Scirocco
Improved FWD understeering physics

I think that there will probabyl be more minor updates / fixes in the patch.

New westhill layout
New tyres physics
New circuit (have a guess but i won't tell which)
New breakable wings
New Cockpit interior for GTR's/road cars

Just my guess but i know 4/5 are true for sure might aswell start some good gossip

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG