The online racing simulator
#1 - Byku
LCD TV for PC. LE37A551, LE37A615, LG 37LH3000 or any other...?
I'm going to buy LCD TV for my PC to play games(LFS ), and watch films on the couch . Is anyone using LCD TV for PC gaming, and how does it work? Are You satisfied? Is 50HZ a problem? I played LFS with FPS limited to 50 and i didn't notice anything annoying. What about this LCD TVs in thread title? Especially A551 and A615... which is cheaper than A551, what's the secret? Anyone has any other propositions about any other LCD around similar price range?
I have a 26"LCD TV from samsung on my room, no problems at all. I don't see why 50hz is a problem, altough 60 or higher would be nice. Just connect it via dvi/vga/hdmi or whatever you got.
#3 - Byku
Hmm... recently i've been reading quiet a lot about input lag. Is anybody using the new Samsung B550 series? What about input lag?
WOW, I have had the same thing on my mind for a while now.

I recently just bought a Series 5 Samsung 40" (50Hz I believed) LCD True HD TV (LA40A550) for use as my dedicated computer monitor. I use the DVI port on the Grfx card and have a small plug adapter to change it to HDMI, so then I can plug the HDMI cable into the LCD TV.

Works fabulous and looks magnificent. Trouble is it works too well.

I mean, I set windows up as 60 Hertz yet when I switch on the LCD it tells me its running at 60Hz. (It's supposed to be a 50Hz LCD TV right?)

It is deffinately not a 100Hz TV, they were $1000 more to buy. ALthough there is nothing on the box or the specifications to say it is a 50Hz TV, but every other HD LCD TV out there is either 50, 100 or 200 Hz right?

So how is this even possible? If I run games eg, LFS at vsync (it does look like 60 FPS) it looks damn smooth. If I restrict it in game to 50 FPS it looks a bit less smooth. So I am pretty sure it's running at 60 FPS at vsync. If I tune windows Monitor setting to 50Hertz the LCD says its getting a signal @ 50Hz.

Here are my options in Windows,

How can it be that my 50Hz TV does 60Hertz? When I bought the TV I imagined I would be playing everything at lousy ^_^ 50 FPS BUT infact everything runs at 60 FPS! How the hell can I be so lucky?

edit1: Oh wait, I got out the user manual, it has some important info.
edit2: So how about that eh? The manual actually specifies the TV has support for 1920x1080 @ 60Hz using the correct DVI/HDMI input port. It has two other standard HDMI inputs, but I have to use the specific one for PC DVI/HDMI to get the 60Hz. Amazing TV really. Flawless and blows me away everyday. It's like I've died and gone to heaven. The only downside to a monitor this big is that it blocks out the sun

When buying this TV the sales people at the shop had no idea what happens when you plug a PC into the TV. They never had any customer that wanted such a large PC monitor, they only sell them as TV's, that's what they're for..... haha, everything on TV is just mindless reality programes or just rubbish to me.

Just looking at the back page of the manual and it is crystal clear. I never refered back to it because I packed it all away as everything was running fine at what seemed to be 60Hz, so just forgot about it sort of, wondered about it a little, until I saw this thread, now I've figured out why. Thanks for the topic you started. I am now a little wiser on this.

So I suggest you ask around or look up specs to see if the TV you want will support PC input at 60Hz.
Its weird though, I looked up my model online and there is no mention of the 60Hz, it is only in the user Manual on the second last page.
Attached images
SDC10909.JPG
xx.JPG
#5 - Byku
Thanks for some info, does Your Samsung have "game mode"? It lowers input lag quiet a lot(at least is should ).
It has Standard/Movie/dynamic modes for softness/brightness

It has an entertainment mode for options such as Cinema/Sport and Game modes for when using Consol games input or TV or DVD. Doesn't function with PC HDMI input, I don't think it actually needs it.

There is no lag at 60hz nor shadowing/flickering or anything noticable that degrades the picture. When buying it I was scared I would be able to pick some flaws with the picture, ie. visible pixels gaps, bad refreshing, stuttering, bad contrast, black-white shadowing. But it is beyond perfect to me and I'm pretty picky when it comes to what I see. A piece of dust on the screen can distract me. I'm hard to please, and with this I am very pleased. If asked the choice to buy it again at even a higher cost, I would.
#7 - Byku
Thanks a lot Mate! I've decided to buy LE37B551, can't wait to get it! Thanks a lot again! I'm going to try to post a little review later .
-
(JasonJ) DELETED by JasonJ
Good luck with it. I can see it confirms 1920x1080 @ 60Hz for PC input in the user manual. You're looking pretty.
#9 - Byku
Bought it... and... first impression is awesome, but after a while i have a strange feeling that mouse is lagging.... but it might because the bigger screen... maybe i will get used to it .

Edit. I've got it connected through D-sub port .... hmm... i'm starting to get used to it... ...
Edit. 37 inch LCD rocks ... I've used to it .
Edit. Maybe not exactly... there might be around 20-30ms of input lag.... :|... in racing it doesn't matter, there is bigger problem in fps games :|.
Edit. It's not that annoying now... i've used to it... propably...
#10 - Byku
So... to sum it up. I have this tv for quiet some time now... and well. Yes, first day i was quiet annoyed by input(shouldn't it be output?) lag. I couldn't see it... but i've felt that there is something wrong with the mouse. Like it's lagging behind. Samsung are known for having v.good black colour, BUT there is quiet a lot of processing going on behind the screen so input lag is also one of the highest on the market. Colours are definitely better than on my both 17" LCDs, and using it as a monitor(sitting around 1-1,5 meter away) was comfortable after one day (i had a slight headache on the first day ). In LFS it is brilliant... well... in any other game it is brilliant ... but in T/FPS games(Mass Effect, Armed Assault 2, Call of Juarez) there is a hardly noticeable lag, you can use to it after a while. 60HZ is not a problem, well.. it's definitely enough.
hmmm never noticed anything wrong at my end with lag, or even a funny feeling in the mouse as you have described. Is it possible you are not used to such a large real estate on screen so you are moving the mouse around more and this gives you the funny feeling? Just a thought.

I know myself sitting about 2 feet from the viewing panel that moving the mouse from left to right requires I move my head to see it, so it feels a little wierd, in a spacial awareness way.

Anyway I can try something to get this lag effect to happen? I've felt this way when the mouse battery was dying and it starts to lag and respond less through the wireless.
#12 - Byku
Your samsung has quiet low input lag , so You're lucky . Those new models(B versions) have higher input lags, especially B65x models. A65x models also had quiet high input lags(40ms) but after some firmware upgrades it was lowered to around 10ms. I hope that Samsung will post some firmware upgrades which will try to repair this... strange feeling .

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG