The online racing simulator
Racing like a beginner
(29 posts, started )
#1 - Myw
Racing like a beginner
Well, I'm not now here. I'm not going to say that I'm a pro at Live For Speed. I'm far from it actually. I've been playing the game for about 6-7 months now. I actually remember seeing it in a computer book and downloading it.

So, 7 months later. S2 for 3 months or so now and I still.. well, suck. I'll freely admit it. I go online, and through the first corner, people are already leaving me. They always seem to be braking earlier than me and still going into the corners perfectly. I watch their replays and try to take the same line which results in massive understeer for me.

So, I ask you, the nice members of the Live for Speed Forums, to help me. Wether It's in private means, tutoring me online in an empty server, or posting here with any tips or tricks you've learnt. I would appreciate it a lot. =D.

Oh, and I use the Mouse. I'm pretty good with it now because of some people's help here actually.

Feel free to add me on msn at olumuyi@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks.
Posting some of your replays would be useful to give tips also.
#3 - Myw
Okay, I'll try to post a lap of me in Blackwood on the XFG.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a Logitech Momo wheel.
So you dont have a wheel then?
#5 - Myw
get a proven to be good setup from setup-grid.com (help with the actual url :really and then if it still understeers, tighten up the rear suspension quite a lot, and add a locked diff. then go against ok ai's, and just keep practicing. go into the leagues and events forum and find the begginners only thread and go to the website and sign up pm me any time with any question (ps. i cant quite beat the pro ai's yet either...or even quick sometimes )
Hi Mizaki, you will get a far better feeling of immersion using a wheel and pedals set, any logitech force feedback wheel will give outstanding FF results when you set it up properly, and IMO its the feedback that lets you drive the cars to the very edge of the envelope.

The XFG is a great car to use as a learning tool as is the XRG, both are very forgiving and not too powerfull to be a handfull driving hard, LR racing are running a server using these cars, join and introduce yourself, let people know you are looking for a setup and you might get some good track tips and advice too.
I like to use a well balanced setup, with a bit of power oversteer, I love the close racing you can have with this class of car and have many sets for the different tracks.

your welcome at the Triple7racing teamserver anytime, if you see one of us there, pop in, say hello, this sunday happens to be the 1st sunday of the month, so we expect to have a populated server that evening

anyway good luck with your wheel purchase, and keep on practising

SD.
Don't get worried or frustrated, mate ! Maybe you see some newcomers learning faster than you, but it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you.

It took me MANY years to learn the very very basic of driving ( in other sims ), and now I can learn something new everyday. 

Just keep driving. When practising off-line preparing for on-line, you may feel that you haven't learn anything for a long time. It's OK. Once you've "reached a point" in your learning progress, you'll be able to have some battles with other beginners ( People don't have to be fast to race, but STABLE to race. ), and the on-line experience will teach you a lot in a short time. Not being a quick learner now doesn't lead to being a slow learner in the future. Drive on-line with other people, compare yourself with them, learn from them, and you will improve. Now on-line racing can't give you much help because you're not fast ( and stable ) enough to interact with others, but once you've "reached the point", things will change.

Have fun !
#9 - bbman
Quote from Myw :They always seem to be braking earlier than me and still going into the corners perfectly. I watch their replays and try to take the same line which results in massive understeer for me.

This could hint to a potential problem: Maybe you're asking too much of your tyres... Try braking earlier, steer gentlier and probably a bit less too...

Anyway, it's always better to start slow and gradually get faster (you will even if you're not trying to, I promise) than wanting too much too early and then wondering in your destroyed car what the hell went wrong... Jackie Steward's advice is bang on: treat the car like a vicious dog - make a sudden move and it'll bite you...
After six or seven months, you're still new. You need time to practice. If you can jump on a server and run without wrecking or going off track, then you'll be fine. Your speed will pick up as you figure out the little tricks. The tricks mostly focus on learning to be smooth, yet understanding that there are occations where you need to be a bit more aggressive.

Give it a year or two.
Im new too, and i want to keep up with the people who are at the front the people in the top 5 of the race. Can anyone help with improving lap times to a 1:35, thats the time i regularly see when people are in the top 5 of the race.

On the blackwood map after that long straight theres that bend. Do you guys harsh break at top speed then turn into the bend or soft break b4 the bend.

A lil advice would b helpful.
Quote from xlilsoldi3rx :Im new too, and i want to keep up with the people who are at the front the people in the top 5 of the race. Can anyone help with improving lap times to a 1:35, thats the time i regularly see when people are in the top 5 of the race.

On the blackwood map after that long straight theres that bend. Do you guys harsh break at top speed then turn into the bend or soft break b4 the bend.

A lil advice would b helpful.

Which car are you talking about?
In either car, braking at the end of the back straight should be as close to impending lockup as you can get without sliding. In the xfg, a little trail braking at turn in will help, though you should be back into the throttle at or slightly before the apex.

You should approach corners in racing like you approach a stop sign or traffic light in real life. Don't focus on where you need to start you braking. Instead, look for where you need to be when you stop braking. Your mind will learn what it takes to get to that point and you will almost automatically brake at the right moment.

The rate at which you slow down does not affect your lap times as much as being able to get back into the throttle earlier. It's okay to give up a little as you approach a turn. It will allow you to concentrate a little more about being efficient through and off the corner.

I think the best advice I can give is to forget about the guys that are faster than you. Just run your own race and pick up a little bit here and there. Eventually you will find yourself running with those guys that used to run away from you. And don't bother too much with asking people for setups. Pick one and run it until you find that you can be consistant. You'll never be able to judge a setup until you can run a bunch of laps within a few tenths of eachother.
if you race the XFG, you should try looking up left foot braking on youtube, it helps me catch spins (rwd) and get oversteer (fwd) not sure if i just overwhelmed the learning process or helped it
People are giving you very good advice here. My tips would be,
  • the faster you drive, the slower you go
  • so.. drive slow, go fast
  • drive the car, don't let the car drive you
  • get a wheel
LFSLapper has helped me a lot to practice off-line, long stints and then race distance ones. I reset times and start slowly, you will see your times improve quickly as you get a feel for every sector and the car's behaviour.

Racing is more than just being fast, something that helped me a lot is starting last and take the race step by step, focus on small goals "can I get nearer the car in front?" "how can I overtake him?" "can I keep calm and make a gap?" "next car!" "hmm not easy to overtake" "one more lap" "wow! that was fun! started last, and finished 4th" ALWAYS be clean, makes racing much more fun, and don't give up, last is far better than DNF.

In two words HAVE FUN.
May help:

* Slow cars first. Don't pay much attention to TBOs now.

* It's OK wandering among all the different combos, but focus on one may help you to learn more details.

* If the other racers can leave you behind at T1, setup is not the problem. Feel free to ask for setups, but don't keep jumping from one to another. For each combo, get one stable set and don't change. You'll be confused if the car's behavior is always changing.

* Learn from AIs, then sprs.

* Make use of raf analyzers. You'll see the difference clearly.

Have fun !
Thanx for the advice i ran 1.41 today still short by 6 seconds.

Could anyone tell me why sometimes when i crash the car just stops working?.

A read circle light is on the car.
Quote from xlilsoldi3rx :Thanx for the advice i ran 1.41 today still short by 6 seconds.

Could anyone tell me why sometimes when i crash the car just stops working?.

A read circle light is on the car.

Well you may well have stalled the car. I occasionally stall, but I have the G25 with clutch. Are you using a clutch? If so, this may be the case. Try finding out what the button for Ignition is, and just hit it next time you see the RLOD (Red Light of Death)

Good luck. Say hello if you see me in my UFR online anytime soon
Yeah im using the G25 too with the clutch, ah il try the ignition button when i get on need to set that to a button aswell.

Ok i tried it out, hmm i pressed the 'I' button on when my car stalls but it still wont move.
Quote from xlilsoldi3rx :Yeah im using the G25 too with the clutch, ah il try the ignition button when i get on need to set that to a button aswell.

Ok i tried it out, hmm i pressed the 'I' button on when my car stalls but it still wont move.

You need to give a little gas together with the clutch and then release the clutch and give more gas. Then the car will drive.
and if it stalls, you need to shut the key off, and turn it back on, so it is two presses
Quote from logitekg25 :and if it stalls, you need to shut the key off, and turn it back on, so it is two presses

This is true actually. Also, make sure that you put the shifter back into neutral or push the clutch in while you restart. It sounds dumb, but my dad made this mistake (albeit when he was p*ssed) and then wondered why the car wouldn't start.

Just for reference, that previous analogy happened on Live for Speed and not out on public roads
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from carey :I'm glad to here it , although I'm usually more flowing and therefore quicker after a drinky poo (but there's a fine balance to be struck).

It's funny you should say that actually, because Jeremy Clarkson commentates on this in his book and I agree with him. I am fairly consistent when it comes to my lap times, but a small drink vastly changes my ability to do this!

It just goes to show how a drink can affect your driving and is one of the reasons that I won't even have a shandy if it is my turn to drive!

Anyways, back to the topic in hand :P
this may be a little off topic but i don't want to create a new topic. I got a Logitech MOMO and i have the Force Feedback setting at 100 is that ok or what is the most realistic?
set to 101 in profiler, and about 40 or 35 ingame
Indeed, some advice that I found particularly good, was to not look on the road ahead for a breaking point, instead look to the apex of the corner, and focus on the speed that you need to be doing at that point.

I found that I was braking too much into corners and then had to accelerate to find the maximum corner speed, which can disrupt the balance of the car, and cause problems when exiting the corner (and even more problems in a chicane). This was purely because I was too focused on where I was braking, and not focused enough on where I should be when I exit the corner.

Also, take a look at some World Record replays - you will notice that they all tend to have one thing in common; if the car isn't accelerating, it's braking. There is no in-between. The in-between is called coasting and is regarded as being "not in full control of the motor vehicle". That isn't to say that you should either be fully on the accelerator, or fully on the brake - no way should you be - but at any one time (other than changing gear) one of these pedals should be being used.

Racing like a beginner
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG