The online racing simulator
but i dont think the WHEEL was loose, just the spinner. I think the wheel would of come off a lot sooner if the actual nut was loose.
Quote from BenjiMC :but i dont think the WHEEL was loose, just the spinner. I think the wheel would of come off a lot sooner if the actual nut was loose.

If it was just the spinner, why would the wheel come off.. Wouldn't only the spinner fall off???
it loosened the nut. thats wat i remember they said on bbc coverage.
Ah. Either way, it's all the lollipop guy's fault! :P He must feel like crap right now xD
Well, on a brighter note it gives Renault an extra long chance on finding a replacement for Piquet
Why does everything need a person to blame? The lollipop mans fault?!?!?!
Quote from tristancliffe :Why does everything need a person to blame? The lollipop mans fault?!?!?!

Obviously thats why Ferrari had traffic lights :P
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't envy the lollipop man. They need to all use traffic lights soon, and get rid of one man's judgement on everything from the state of refuelling, the state of all four tyre changes, the state of the men clearing sidepods, the cars coming out of the pitlane, and so on. Give each man a button to press when they have finished their job. If they press it again they cancel their 'ok' and the system remains red. You could keep the lollipop man too, but he just responds to the traffic light too.

Ferrari had those last year.. and remember how it FAILED?

Quote from BenjiMC :Wasn't it the wheel cover not being clicked into place, then spinning round freely, which unlocked the nut on the wheel? I'm pretty sure the wheel nut was on properly just the cover hadn't been put into place before the car was released.

As far as i could see, the guy from the wheel was trying to put the fairing back on but failed as the car was allowed to take off. On the onboard video you can clearly see the fairing spinning with the wheel like creazy. Not having the fairing put on properly, probably also caused the wheelnut not to be on the right way so it came off aswell.

Wheelnuts are put on in the same direction as the wheel is spinning, so a spinning wheel can't loosen it (it tightens the nut). The only way it can some off, is if it's not on right, and those fairings play a big part in how it's put on. Banning the use of them will eliminate a factor in wheels coming off, but will never garentee it from happening again.

Anyway, the ban is an over the top penalty, it clearly shows the FIA are uncapable of judging incidents in a consistend way as similar (or worse) accidents didn't had the same punisment (if at all).

They have failed to take their own rules seriously on many occations and giving fair punishments. F1 is doomed as long as the FIA controls it.
You speak sense Sponge.
#85 - SamH
The FIA is trying to assert itself as the ONLY "pro-safety" element in F1 - that the teams don't care, and that the FIA's "parental" role is essential. This is what gave rise to the language of the FIA's ruling.

Regardless of the FIA's language or their ruling, common sense (something FIA is devoid of) states that Renault would NOT knowingly OR deliberately release a car to the track, where they believed there was a problem with the wheel or that the wheel might fall off, deliberately risking their car, their driver, or any other attendee at a motor sport event. It was a mistake, NOT deliberate, contrary to the FIA's portrayal of the situation.

The penalty is entirely in-keeping with the FIA's tradition of political posturing and the selective marshalling that results from that, and should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone familiar with the way the FIA operates.
Quote from SamH :The FIA is trying to assert itself as the ONLY "pro-safety" element in F1 - that the teams don't care, and that the FIA's "parental" role is essential. This is what gave rise to the language of the FIA's ruling.

Regardless of the FIA's language or their ruling, common sense (something FIA is devoid of) states that Renault would NOT knowingly OR deliberately release a car to the track, where they believed there was a problem with the wheel or that the wheel might fall off, deliberately risking their car, their driver, or any other attendee at a motor sport event. It was a mistake, NOT deliberate, contrary to the FIA's portrayal of the situation.

The penalty is entirely in-keeping with the FIA's tradition of political posturing and the selective marshalling that results from that, and should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone familiar with the way the FIA operates.

Whel that just states a good number of facts yes
i see that renault have lodged an appeal, no surprise there, i'm sticking by my original thought that the ban will become suspended dependent on no further offences within X races and a fine imposed
#88 - wild
Quote from tinvek :i see that renault have lodged an appeal, no surprise there, i'm sticking by my original thought that the ban will become suspended dependent on no further offences within X races and a fine imposed

They've had their appeal lodged within an hour of the suspension being issued

Personally I don't know what the outcome will be. Hopefully it'll be good news and Renault will be able to participate in Valencia, but it more than likely won't be the case and they'll have to sit it out

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG