The online racing simulator
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't envy the lollipop man. They need to all use traffic lights soon, and get rid of one man's judgement on everything from the state of refuelling, the state of all four tyre changes, the state of the men clearing sidepods, the cars coming out of the pitlane, and so on. Give each man a button to press when they have finished their job. If they press it again they cancel their 'ok' and the system remains red. You could keep the lollipop man too, but he just responds to the traffic light too.

I think next year it will be much more simple with the banning of refueling and the wheel fairings.
The wheel fairing are not yet banned. There are discussions about it, but nothing has been decided either way.
Wow.....

Thats pretty harsh.....

Even though I dislike Renault, a DQ from a GP is a bit too much me thinks.

Quote from Mackie The Staggie :
1) There has been now 2 accidents in 6 days were there have been parts flying off and striking another driver on the head, if there was no reaction from the FIA I would be more concerned about that than an overreaction which in all likely hood will be successful on appeal.

Why should there be a sudden investigation? One accident happened due to the far too routine occurrence of debris flying off a car from an avoidable accident that by chance happened to hit the driver this time. The solution to this is simple, get the drivers to crash less. The second accident was caused by the third spring somehow managing to work loose, there's no reason to believe one is likely to do the same again and the risk presented is nominal compared to debris from accidents. What do you propose tethers for every component? And tethers for the tethers as well?

Quote :
2) The car was not safe when it left the pits, I think any other time regardless of what has happened is a pretty dumb move and worthy of punishment. Maybe the punishment does not fit the crime, but then thats why we have appeal people.

Had it been possible anybody who knew the wheel nut was not on the car correctly would obviously have stopped the car.
Quote from ajp71 :Why should there be a sudden investigation? One accident happened due to the far too routine occurrence of debris flying off a car from an avoidable accident that by chance happened to hit the driver this time. The solution to this is simple, get the drivers to crash less. The second accident was caused by the third spring somehow managing to work loose, there's no reason to believe one is likely to do the same again and the risk presented is nominal compared to debris from accidents. What do you propose tethers for every component? And tethers for the tethers as well?

First of all, I did not call for an Investigation. What I said was that I would have been more worried if there was no response from the FIA at all, to me that shows a lack of diligence and care to the competitors (and yes I know it's there choice and blah blah blah, but still the FIA have a responsibility to keep them as safe as possible).

There is always something to learn from accidents to avoid them happening again, or reducing the possibility, but the recommendations or solutions that are brought forward have to be balanced against other factors.

Quote from ajp71 :
Had it been possible anybody who knew the wheel nut was not on the car correctly would obviously have stopped the car.

The tyre guy knew that the wheel wasn't correctly on and had not raised his hand to signify everything was ok, but the lollipop man had let the car go. It was a mistake, but still the team have a responsibility to ensure the car goes out with all bits firmly attached, Renault failed in that respect and a punishment is a natural conclusion...although as I have already mentioned, the penalty does not necessary match the crime
#56 - wild
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :The tyre guy knew that the wheel wasn't correctly on and had not raised his hand to signify everything was ok, but the lollipop man had let the car go. It was a mistake, but still the team have a responsibility to ensure the car goes out with all bits firmly attached, Renault failed in that respect and a punishment is a natural conclusion...although as I have already mentioned, the penalty does not necessary match the crime

The thing is it was a pretty quick pit stop 6.4 seconds.

Taking off one wheel with the gun then putting another one on in that time isn't easy as well as raising your hand to alert the lollipop man. I'd really have liked to someone else in his position do it ...
Mistakes happen. Fines should be the penalty, not DQ from a GP. That's just ridiculous.
Quote from Falcon140 :Mistakes happen. Fines should be the penalty, not DQ from a GP. That's just ridiculous.

Fines are hardly effective or they must be as astronomical as the one McLaren recieved.
why not have a penalty available which says that in the following X number of races you're pitstops must last a minimum of z seconds ? and use it for incidents like renaults or for unsafe release of the car
Quote from Joris :Fines are hardly effective or they must be as astronomical as the one McLaren recieved.

sorry but Mclarens situation was much worse, they stole data from ferrari.
Rules are rules unfortunately.

I just hate the FIA for being.. the FIA..

imo it has killed F1 in the 2000's, before then it was awesome, now I don't even hardly watch it anymore
Quote from Mustafur :sorry but Mclarens situation was much worse, they stole data from ferrari.

and renault were found guilty of "technilogical espionage" when they gained possesion of data disks that belonged to mclaren but escaped without any fine
Quote from tinvek :and renault were found guilty of "technilogical espionage" when they gained possesion of data disks that belonged to mclaren but escaped without any fine

probably because it wasn't put on thier car.
Quote from Mustafur :probably because it wasn't put on thier car.

Mclaren didn't copy anything onto their car's either afaik

Renault got away with it because it was only suspension drawings, not details of the whole car.
Quote from Mustafur :probably because it wasn't put on thier car.

Renault were caught in a far worse situation with the data actually at the factory. There's every possibility that the Ferrari data never got past Stepney/Coughlan and the idea that teams could gain anything from just copying random parts of cars is just silly.
Four tires and fuel in like 7 seconds its amazing that theres not more accidents.

I dont know about the rest of the world but we have warnings printed on the back of the tickets and signs at the track telling us of the dangers of motor racing and you enter the circuit under those conditions and stipulations, if i know motor racing is dangerous as a mug punter surely the fellas driving the things have some better understanding?

And of course Alonso is going to try and make it back to the pits he is a racing driver for Gods sake ..
Assuming the refueling ban stands for next year, it's going to get even worse. The speed of the tire change will be the only factor in the length of the pitstop. We could see a lot of three-wheeled cars out there.
I think it was way too harsh, I mean, did they ban Brawn for having a damn spring come off of a car that put a good driver out of contention?
Quote from SidiousX :I mean, did they ban Brawn for having a damn spring come off of a car that put a good driver out of contention?

This.
Quote from Mustafur :sorry but Mclarens situation was much worse, they stole data from ferrari.

I am not compairing these things. I mean that the fines that are usually given would not hurt a team like renault. Punishments like grid penalties and exclusions hurt every team equally. (o.k. a title contender a bit more maybe).
Very harsh penalty, but i think they will ease it after Renaults renouncement, imo few ten (hunderd) thousands of $.
That will still be better for them, than missing whole GP.
Wasn't it the wheel cover not being clicked into place, then spinning round freely, which unlocked the nut on the wheel? I'm pretty sure the wheel nut was on properly just the cover hadn't been put into place before the car was released.
Quote from XCNuse :Rules are rules unfortunately.

I just hate the FIA for being.. the FIA..

imo it has killed F1 in the 2000's, before then it was awesome, now I don't even hardly watch it anymore

the 90s wasn't that great when you think about it, watching some of the races, the field spread was ridiculous.
I cant se why they got suspended a wheel came of so?
Nobuddy got hit by tyhe actual wheel so what the hell is thr fia doing making our races even more boring.

They ar basicly idssing themselves becaus they want to give us excitting racing then stop the political shit and just freaking race..
Quote from Chrisuu01 :I cant se why they got suspended a wheel came of so?
Nobuddy got hit by tyhe actual wheel so what the hell is thr fia doing making our races even more boring.

They ar basicly idssing themselves becaus they want to give us excitting racing then stop the political shit and just freaking race..

They banned them for the fact that they KNEW the wheel was loose yet continued to race. What are the chances you get hit by a flying wheel? What are the chances you get hit by a small spring flying through the air?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG