The online racing simulator

Poll : Allow [flash]

No
Yes
Don't care.
[flash] embedding option, useful here??
I know that this feature isn't enabled here at the moment, but, would it be a beneficial thing to have, as it would save having to navigate away from here to follow a link to youtube, especially handy for the videos section of the forum.

Now, i don't know what impact this would have on page loading time for people, but i am on what can only be described as an epic fail of an internet connection and other forums, plus my forum have this enabled, and pages seem to load just as quick as forums with it disabled.

I don't know about vbulletin, but on my phpbb forum, it is literally one click to allow or disallow this option, so as far as i am aware, it shouldn't be difficult to implement here.

So, good idea, bad idea, or don't care??

Discuss!
yes from me but why when it vote does it send me to a thread thats like 3 years old about huuricane katrina?
erm, dunno, i just voted, and indeed it does take you to that 4 year old thread, but the vote is still counted in this thread

I have posted in the bugs section to see if it can be resolved somehow.

EDIT: speedy victor has fixed it already, what a guy!!
I'm not sure. It would be nice to include youtube movies, but if it's used to much i rather have links to them.
no way, we don't need more stuff clogging up the screen.
<video> tag would be much better.
i only understand bbcode, so anything else would just confuse me!
No, for the same reason that images in signaures aren't allowed.

And what's the big difference between clicking on a link and watching a video in a new broser tab or clicking on the "Play" arrow?
Quote from zeugnimod :No, for the same reason that images in signaures aren't allowed.

And what's the big difference between clicking on a link and watching a video in a new broser tab or clicking on the "Play" arrow?

I voted "Don't care" but after reading Zeug's post I agree with him. There really is no need for it and you can be sure that people are going to abuse it at some point.

Also, wrong section
Quote from Shadowww :<video> tag would be much better.

Since boards use BBcode [video] would be better
There's a vB plugin called AME that automatically converts YT etc links to embedded video.

It is possible to only apply it to certain subforums, like the videos one.
I vote no. I'm pretty sure it would result in a too high rickrolling percentage :em31:

And the arguments above are good as well.
Aha, but if it was flash embedded, then nobody would click on a rickroll because you can see what the video is before pressing play. It would look like this.... Don't try and play it lol, its just a jpg to give the general idea.

Can't judge a book by it's cover.

99% of those Rick Roll turds have a different picture as the preview so that argument is of no use.

The thing that gives me the gripes about imbedding videos, is that once it starts downloading and you see it's crap, you can't stop it and you can see it eating your bandwidth limit! You have to refresh the page to kill it. At least with an external link you can just kill that TAB/Window.
Quote from Shadowww :<video> tag would be much better.

How would it be useful when most of the planet uses IE? It'd be about as effective as creating airbags that only work when you crash into a car of the same make as yours.

At least with flash, every browser (no matter how crap) can still see the content. the "video" tag is flawed in that Microsoft will never (read: take 10 years) support it, so you're gonna make it so a vast majority of users can't see a video as you'd expect them to.

Additionally everyone is trying to support their own codec. Apple is sticking by the tried and tested MPEG4, and Firefox and Opera are using Ogg Theora. This just sounds like a recipe for disaster where we have servers hosting 3 versions of a video. An MP4 to satisfy smart users, an Ogg Theora video to satisfy braindead users and slightly intelligent users (Opera being the latter), and a FLV+SWF to aide those IE people. Sounds like another HTML battle between Mozilla/Netscape and Microsoft/IE. We know how that made the internet so much fun to design for.

Maybe you should jump off your Firefox bandwagon as not everything that HTML5 and that Firefox implements is good as it will take a million years before every browser supports it. Hence the problem with all these browsers supporting only parts of CSS3 (or if they do, they haffto mess it up by prepending "-moz-" to it) , and the old IE/Netscape supporting HTML differently, causing mass chaos. It's gonna make everything hell for anyone that isn't simply a web user.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG