The online racing simulator
GAH!! So frustrating at times!!!

I have come to the conclusion that any server, be it ours or [FM]'s, is an absolute nightmare with big grids.

Even when you are racing at the front, a little tiny mistake creates absolute mayhem behind you, and if the guys you are racing at the front shows not enough respect, then the rest of the field suffers.....

The only solution as far as I can see, is to bring in a licensing system ala CTRA, but if anyone has a better idea then please tell me
Feel with you mate, something that happens on all servers.
If you take it carefully in leaderposition, you will be wrecked from behind.. if you drive carefully midfield, you WILL be wrecked.. you try to start all behind and avoid people but STILL people will manage to hit you when they try to recover from a crash..

The most frustrating part is that NO ONE brakes, if there is an accident everyone goes full speed and causes abnormall pile-ups from hell. Sure, it's fun 1,2 and 3 times to see cars go everywhere, but when it happens in like 50-75% of all big field races it's starting to getting borring.

Again, that is not just a thing on FM server, it happens on any server nowdays, with big grids.
When the race starts ...close the pits.... if you crash or get crashed into its race over, I appreciate this may be a bitter pill to swallow, but in the long run it would lead to cleaner racing.
Quote from JohnPenn :When the race starts ...close the pits.... if you crash or get crashed into its race over, I appreciate this may be a bitter pill to swallow, but in the long run it would lead to cleaner racing.

It could make people not spec. at all after crash
What? You mean there is a way to program an insim thing to prevent people from going into pit/spec mode? Would be awesome for the leagues that aim's for realistic races. Even tho I am not a too much fan of crashes, it could give it a realistic feel if people wouldn't just teleport off track into pit or spectator mode.
I think he says that when you crash, and go to pit/spec you cant go back on track till race ends.
Ah, I misunderstood the sentence there, belived you said you had a way to prevent people from pit'ing and spec'ing
Quote from JohnPenn :When the race starts ...close the pits.... if you crash or get crashed into its race over, I appreciate this may be a bitter pill to swallow, but in the long run it would lead to cleaner racing.

This sometimes happens on the server when the admins are on.
I don't think most of the people really try to crash. Most of the time its just a person trying to do something they cant or the car cant. Like how many people don't compensate for two wide racing. Seems people rather crash than be passed a lot of times.

I found if you just act like you are going to try to pass someone on the outside through corners...many will crash on their own. Brake just early and watch the show....
Quote from The Very End :...
The most frustrating part is that NO ONE brakes, if there is an accident everyone goes full speed and causes abnormall pile-ups from hell. ...

Actually, this is most likely a misunderstanding.

People start to brake when they see trouble ahead - At this point, due to that pesky physics thing, it's already too late - You cannot decelerate fast enough - delta V + x is your car (due to reaction time) and delta V is the car in front. Also the decreasing speed curves intersect even if you do brake at exactly the same moment.

So, you have to leave a gap which compensates for those two factors. However, to maintain that gap, you have to brake early, leading to tailgaters getting rather a shock.

There's no way around this, really. Mixed skill racing is a difficult thing.
I am not on the same thought here mate

I think there is plenty of time to react sometimes, unless it's high powered cars like FO8, BF1 and such. I think that people belive they can gain positions, therfor going full speed thorugh that to gain some positions.

But I can be wrong, but the best thing would be to really slow down, to under 100kmh and cruise past the accident.
Quote from The Very End :Feel with you mate, something that happens on all servers.
If you take it carefully in leaderposition, you will be wrecked from behind.. if you drive carefully midfield, you WILL be wrecked.. you try to start all behind and avoid people but STILL people will manage to hit you when they try to recover from a crash..

The most frustrating part is that NO ONE brakes, if there is an accident everyone goes full speed and causes abnormall pile-ups from hell. Sure, it's fun 1,2 and 3 times to see cars go everywhere, but when it happens in like 50-75% of all big field races it's starting to getting borring.

Again, that is not just a thing on FM server, it happens on any server nowdays, with big grids.

This is very true. But you know when I do play LFS these days I just accept that this happens and that I will probably get wrecked 3 out of every 4 starts in this way. If it happens I just go and smoke a fag or whatever and wait for the next race. Or maybe do a couple of laps and work on setup.

I had a race on FM the other night at KY Nat and I got hit so hard from behind when I slowed down to avoid T1 carnage in front of me that I was forced clean off the track even though I was just picking my way through. Then at T5 I was hit again from behind and then again at T6. So every corner where you have to brake basically.

But, I don't say anything to any of the drivers. You never even get so much as a WTF from me. What's the point? I didn't see what happened until I view the replay. And these days I just don't play enough to watch the replay and see what drivers to give extra room/pull over and let them past (cos you know they'll crash before the end of the race anyway)

But I think you just have to accept that's the way it is, that's the way it's always been and that's the way it always will be in LFS when there is not risk of personal injury or expensive crash damage.

The only way to avoid this kinda problem is to stick to servers with a few trusted racing buddies who you know you can go wheel to wheel with. That's why league racing is so good, because you get little groups of drivers who trust one another practicing together for races.
I think that server is good but in it there are many crashers. I don´t know, but don´t respect blue flag, produce many accidents...

However, I want to congratulate to FM team for the work and ...see you in FoX JunKIEs!

A greeting.

PD: sorry for my english.
It's great to have a clear race... but some people need to learn that rubbing is racing (even in open wheels classes).

They need to step out of the gaming world and watch some real racing.
Quote from Ssr_Nick :It's great to have a clear race... but some people need to learn that rubbing is racing (even in open wheels classes).

They need to step out of the gaming world and watch some real racing.

Exactly my thoughts
Yeah, I agree rubbing is racing in real life closed wheel racing but the LFS crash physics means rubbing is racing becomes rubbing is pinging cars all over the place. It's very hard to make any kind of contact in LFS without it resulting in an accident.
two pools!

1. Cleans
2. n00bs

HAHA
I couldn't find this info posted elsewhere... what percentage of the WR time must your PB be in order to race on the server (when that rule is enacted)?

Thanks,
Chris
The worst part for me is no longer the massive t1 pileups, but since I start last I get all the stupid nuts who think it's fine to burst bake onto the racing line when there's people racing wheel-to-whell behind them. I feel like this is an often occurance at Westhill, where anyone who went off on the outside of t1 comes flying onto the track at a 40 degree angle after the small kink. This lead to epic carnage, usually much worse than t1 because the walls are pinched as you head under the bridge there.
Quote from CMM83 :I couldn't find this info posted elsewhere... what percentage of the WR time must your PB be in order to race on the server (when that rule is enacted)?

Thanks,
Chris

Normally you have to drive 110% of the WR time. When the WR is 1:00, you need 1:06, for example.
Quote from khoianh94 :Normally you have to drive 110% of the WR time. When the WR is 1:00, you need 1:06, for example.

Thanks
110% is very lenient isn't it? If a driver was 6 seconds a lap slower around a one minute lap they would fall into the category of dangerously slow.
Worst server I have played on so far. Seriously. If its at South City, you'll find cleaner racing at [CAD] Destruction derby.
#99 - wild
Quote from Scott Mckenzie :Worst server I have played on so far. Seriously. If its at South City, you'll find cleaner racing at [CAD] Destruction derby.

Haha that's only because half of the server doesn't know what a breaking point is in T1 and the Shift+S function ..
LOL yeah, and people always whine about me whining on there. Still one of my favourite servers though, if it wasn't for the numbskulls.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG