Any way to improve AI?
(21 posts, started )
Any way to improve AI?
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times in these threads...but I just purchased S2 and I'm wondering if there is anyway to make the AI smarter in the game? I've played other racing sims and the AI cars seem smart enough to know you are there...but in LFS...they don't seem to know you exist, hence they ram right into you when you are on the racing line.

Any suggestions to improve this within the existing game?

Thanks.
I dont remember that ive seen any ramming AI's. And, would racers ram go out of the road if ur blocking them? Well, depends on the race tho. Not sure.
That means you're fast enough !!
But if you block them on the raceline and are slower, they just drive into your car with no respect at all !!!
Anyway some of them do manage to brake and they avoid crashing, I think it depends on combo.

Final word: yes, they should be definitely smarter. I hope it is on DevTeam's wishlist.
Quote from Ripley :That means you're fast enough !!
But if you block them on the raceline and are slower, they just drive into your car with no respect at all !!!
Anyway some of them do manage to brake and they avoid crashing, I think it depends on combo.

Final word: yes, they should be definitely smarter. I hope it is on DevTeam's wishlist.

I certainly remember seeing Scawen post that the AI isn´t finished yet, so I expect further improvements in the future.
If you just purchased S2, you should just go online and learn to race. The AI will only teach you how to avoid wreckers.
Quote from CasseBent :The AI will only teach you how to avoid wreckers.

Which is a valuable skill.
We need something like Folding@home that will make LFS Ai's better
#8 - HVS5b
Start up a really long race for the AI and leave them to run overnight or something. The more they race the faster (but not smarter!) they get
@ HVS, that's not really true for recent patches of LFS, that feature has been removed somewhere along the way.

No need to waste power on AIs anymore
Quote from NightShift :@ HVS, that's not really true for recent patches of LFS, that feature has been removed somewhere along the way.

No need to waste power on AIs anymore

Ah, cool.

Didn't know that
On the other hand they used to "overtrain" (similar to what we humans do in long races ) - they don't do that anymore, and are now able to aknowledge tyre temps, fuel load, tyre wear.

They still
Ignore you and each other unless you step exactly on their racing line (in this case they stop )
Repeat the same mistake lap after lap
Countersteer at an alien rate
Now I only race online against humans, but, if it happens, I throw in a long mix of every skill level AIs.
Maybe 3 beginners then 2 pros, 3 average, 2 beginners again and so on at wish...Try that with Raceabout, it can be fun !
Quote from kweber1976 :... I've played other racing sims and the AI cars seem smart enough to know you are there...but in LFS...they don't seem to know you exist, hence they ram right into you when you are on the racing line.....
Thanks.

In other games I've played the AI seem to defy the laws of physics so they can 'concentrate' on avoiding the player instead instead of worrying about physics and Issac Newtons and stuff

AI will be improved again later on in LFS development. Probably after the physics are finalised. There's probably not much point adding more the the AI intelligence if the physics are going to get modified in the future.
just put them to a really long race and go do something else at the race. AI seems to be imporving if you race with them, my AI's cant drive on wind yet
batteryy, they do not anymore.
they do improve over time, during single races, but I assume it's because of less weight and hotter tires. Not so much learning anything anymore.
Quote from Ripley :Now I only race online against humans, but, if it happens, I throw in a long mix of every skill level AIs.
Maybe 3 beginners then 2 pros, 3 average, 2 beginners again and so on at wish...Try that with Raceabout, it can be fun !

Hi, How do you make up a grid of AI at different skill levels? (Noob user)
Hi.
Select "Single player" and, after selecting a car and a track, you' ll be able to click on "add AI driver" and on "join race" (assuming the start grid is empty).
At the top left of the screen there is the AI "skill level" slider.

If it is on PRO and you click "add AI driver", that AI will be a PRO.
Change the slider to whatever you like and click again on "add AI driver"...

To remove drivers just click on the relative minus (-) sign.

That's it.
Simple as that! - Wow I thought you would need to hack into the AI on something.
Thanks....
Quote from Ripley :If it is on PRO and you click "add AI driver", that AI will be a PRO. Change the slider to whatever you like and click again on "add AI driver"...

Not meaning to rain on your parade mate, but the AIs will be all of the same level, regardless of what was selected at the time you pressed Add AI There's no such thing as mixed AI skills in LFS, at least for the time being.
The only way to have an uneven field of AIs driving the same car is to give them different setups.
Try some on Race_S, and some on Bob's road going sets. Then you will see an uneven field.

Any way to improve AI?
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG