The online racing simulator
How much would you pay for Windows 7?
(43 posts, started )
The upgrade path is a bit crap - with the release candidate you still can't 'upgrade', so you have to backup everything you want to keep (ideally onto a second harddrive, which are quite cheap these days, and is a good backup to have anyway, or onto a second partition on your current hard drive), and do a clean install. Because of the quite different ways Vista/7 manage files - particularly user files - an upgrade wouldn't be an easy thing to do neatly and still give you 'new' system speed.

As always a clean install is better, but I do see where you are coming from. I couldn't get RC to install on mine at the weekend. The install progress wouldn't get past the languages page.

The only reason I'd pay for it (and I did pay for XP eventually) would be because they're making pirate copies harder and harder to use - geniune advantage is getting better, and therefore it becomes more and more work for me to get the software I want (let's say Media Player upgrades for example, but it applies to other stuff too that verifies itself before use/install). Having a legal version buy paying for it is finally becoming the easier option than paying money.

I might have to become a student somewhere and get the student deals on it...
Just a quick question; Everyone keeps repeating how it's a huge improvement over Vista, but all I can really notice is just new UI. Performance seems identical, compatibility with old programs is identical... so what is it then?
300! 300 here! 300! yes! no more ir im sticking with vista crap...
I have yet to spend a single cent on an OS and I'm sure as hell not gonna cough up $250 (that I don't have) for Windows 7. I like the way my Vista Ultimate is performing so I probably won't feel the need to upgrade to W7 anytime soon anyway
Quote from Crommi :Just a quick question; Everyone keeps repeating how it's a huge improvement over Vista, but all I can really notice is just new UI. Performance seems identical, compatibility with old programs is identical... so what is it then?

For me the UI itself is the killer feature - it rapes everything on the market what comes to proper productivity boosts.

Writing this on an OS X Tiger machine and the MBP next to me is running Leopard and both feel outdated, clumsy and slow compared to the 7 machine at home. The window management in Win7 is simply that good.

I'm happy to pay 399 € for the Ultimate 64-bit if there are no cheaper OEM versions or upgrades available. Considering I purchased XP OEM in the year 2001 (or 2002, can't remember), 399 € spread over eight years ain't bad at all.
As OEM version (if I had to buy one) I'd say max 100€ for the ultimate version. I don't understand the advantage of having so many different versions, the XP way (Home and Professional) was way more clear and simpler. But hey...

Anyway, I'll still stick to my XP unless there is a need to update.
#32 - Jakg
Quote from three_jump :I don't understand the advantage of having so many different versions, the XP way (Home and Professional) was way more clear and simpler. But hey...

XP Model - I take it you mean:

Windows XP Starter x86 -> Windows 7 Starter / Home Basic x86,
Windows XP Home x86 -> Windows 7 Home Premium x86,
Windows XP Professional x86 -> Windows 7 Professional / Ultimate x86,
Windows XP Professional x64 -> Windows 7 Professional / Ultimate x64,
Windows XP Home N -> N/A,
Windows XP Professional N -> N/A,
Windows XP Home K -> N/A,
Windows XP Professional K -> N/A,
Windows XP Home KN -> N/A,
Windows XP Professional KN -> N/A,
Windows XP Media Center -> Windows 7 Home Premium or higher,
Windows XP Media Center 2004 -> Windows 7 Home Premium or higher,
Windows XP Media Center 2005 -> Windows 7 Home Premium or higher,
Windows XP Tablet PC -> Windows 7 Home Premium or higher,
Windows XP Tablet PC 2005 -> Windows 7 Home Premium or higher,
Windows XP Home Edition for Subscription Computers -> Nothing,
Windows XP Home Edition for Prepaid Computers -> Nothing,
Windows XP x64 2002 -> Nothing,
Windows XP x64 2003 -> Nothing,
Windows XP for Embedded Systems -> Nothing (yet),
Windows XP Embedded -> Nothing (yet),
Windows XP Embedded for Point of Service -> Nothing (yet),
Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs -> Nothing.

"N" = No Media Player,
"K" = Korean version WITH Messsenger / Media Player,
"KN" = Koreean version WITHOUT Messenger / Media Player,
"Windows XP x64" = Special edition for x64 Intel Itanium workstations. Not to be confused with XP Professional x64.

"N" was a big flop (1,500 copies went to OEM, none sold), but M$ was forced into it by the EU - I would expect that there WILL be an "N" version of 7 but only to OEMs and you will never see it again.

What a "simple" lineup XP had - I wish 7 was that easy!

For users like us, you pick between Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate Enthusiast, or Home Premium or Ultimate Enthusiast if your using a laptop (to get mobility centre). Not that hard...
Quote from Scrabby :3 words for you

torrent

Thats one word...

I've never pirated an OS - I paid £60-something for Vista in 2007, and i've used my PC enough for that cost to be "justified". It works out as literally pennies per day. Similarly - with a dodgy copy of Windows MS could pull the plug and leave you with a ****ed OS at any time - and lets not forget all the fun of new WGA hacks from dodgy sites to actually get any updates.

I will admit I do pirate some software - But I would never pirate an OS. Hoping to get a 2 or 3 user license to 7 (most likely Home Premium or Professional if it's cheap enough) cheap through work or being a student, though.
Similar price to Vista would be fine..
ive only just got Vista and payed enough for that so i wont be upgrading, i will keep Vista for as long as i can and then upgrade to Windows 7
Tpb
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :Tpb

i think i know what you're on about, not really right is it? but will be done a lot because of the rediculous pricing of these things.
#37 - Woz
Win7 should be free if you have had to suffer Vista.

Win7 is NOTHING more than Vista SP2 with a new skin.

Its like the old Win95 vs Win98 farce. If you had a patched 95 there was not much of a difference between that and a 98 box.

BTW: NEVER EVER touch a MS OS until SP1. NEVER! You are REAL dumb unless you follow this well known rule!
Quote from Woz :Win7 should be free if you have had to suffer Vista.

Win7 is NOTHING more than Vista SP2 with a new skin.

Its like the old Win95 vs Win98 farce. If you had a patched 95 there was not much of a difference between that and a 98 box.

BTW: NEVER EVER touch a MS OS until SP1. NEVER! You are REAL dumb unless you follow this well known rule!

Sounds like you have never used 7...
Seeing Windows 7 is as much of an upgrade from Vista as Leopard is to Snow Leopard...

I'd want it to cost about the same : 30$.

Too bad Microsoft is a bunch of gouging pricks and would rather multiply that by 15.
I only use Windows for LFS and Flight Simulator. I might consider installing Win7 if THEY paid me $250 as long as I didn't have to use it for anything except gaming.
Quote from Bladerunner :I only hope that M$ realises that lots of HOMES have multiple computers these days, and come out with a group license for home users...say up to 5 computers, the way they do for businesses. (I know its in vain, but I can always hope!)

Like what apple does.. except you don't have licence keys or anything so you can just use a Single user copy for tonnes of computers.

Not Microsoft though, they'd rather charge you the cost of a mid-range car to outfit your house with their OS. Apple you can do it for the cost of 1 or 2 games.
I'll Torrent for sure! There's no way I can be stupid enough and pay full price for that OS. It just doesnt make sense!
I gona torrent to , but i a long long future , xp sp2 still better for games and stuff , is realy stable and like it

Also i think ms has enoght money to sell other os at so high price

How much would you pay for Windows 7?
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG