The online racing simulator
How much would you pay for Windows 7?
(43 posts, started )
Well, the pricing isn't out yet, but that doesn't stop us from speculating. The momentum behind Windows 7 is far greater than what Vista had at the same point in its development, and that means probably a lot more users will buy Windows 7 when it comes out.

However, Microsoft is still making our lives rather complicated for no reason by giving us a good amount of versions, most of them announced at a rather high price. The version most people will tend to buy, Home Premium, is rumored to go on sell at around 250$, which I personally find a lot. I've recently acquired a computer that would be rather easily capable of running 7 (actually its in a UPS truck somewhere), but after having spent a good amount on my computer, and especially considering a price tag of 250$, I'm not sure I'd be tempted to upgrade to 7 right away.

Yes, the features look promising, and there's no question that it's a huge upgrade from Vista, but if you're an experienced user who doesn't want to be flooded by apps that do your own job of administrator, and that you don't really care for the visual look of 7, what's the point in upgrading? Yes, 7 will probably be faster than Vista, but XP is still faster, and especially for a gamer, upgrading to 7 would seem to be dangerous. Various drivers will probably be updated much faster for 7 than they were for Vista, but it will still take a while for 7 to beat XP's compatibility.

I have read quite a lot of posts of people wishing that Windows would sell its products like OSX is: two versions, one home, one pro, 130$ and 170$ price tags. Makes life simple and easy. With the level of expectancy 7 has, I wouldn't be surprised if Windows would be able to sell more copies of this OS by asking for a rather cheap price, like 120$ for the mainstream version. At this price, I would buy it, and a lot of people who wouldn't have bought it at 250$ would too, I'm sure of this.

I know there are some other threads about 7 out there, but I just wanted to have your opinion on this: will you buy 7? Or, at what offering price would you be ready to buy it?
$5
nothing.

ill Rep xp to the death ( or until its un supported... )
I will buy Windows 7, and the maximum price I would pay for it is USD $410 (Windows 7 Ultimate). Yet it would take me some time to get that money, but I'd still pay that ammount for W7.

I wouldn't use any other version because I like all features Windows 7 RC has and I'd like all of them to be on my RTM version. And also because of Windows XP virtualization (even though I have no use for that, I find it pretty cool :tilt.
Damn, just yesterday i got message that my Win7 "expires" in 11 days ... didnt knew that, but that really really sucks. Dont know where i could get another HDD for backup tho

Anyways, i would pay 100$ maximum for Win7 official if it comes out because i just love it. Perfect OS
A penny!
I'd pay $250 for Win7 It doesn't expire for a while though. So who knows..
#9 - Jakg
Not sure - Depends on how much it will costs for 2 licenses for the features I need...
Price would be an issue, I would love to go with the upgrade but I have 4 PC's and a laptop. If I had to buy full price for each I'll stick with XP.

PS, I have a family of geeks
Quote from hazaky :Damn, just yesterday i got message that my Win7 "expires" in 11 days ... didnt knew that, but that really really sucks. Dont know where i could get another HDD for backup tho

You still have an option to download a newer build (7100 RC1 or later unofficial) and upgrade your existing installation in order to prolong your trial period till around Q1/Q2 2010 easily. You would just have to modify one text file in installation iso and need ~20GB free space on your system drive to run upgrade procedure.
Quote from TV[cz] :You still have an option to download a newer build (7100 RC1 or later unofficial) and upgrade your existing installation in order to prolong your trial period till around Q1/Q2 2010 easily. You would just have to modify one text file in installation iso and need ~20GB free space on your system drive to run upgrade procedure.

Thanks for mentioning, ill see what i can do. But still, i think that ill move back on XP because there are few kinda important programs i need to use - but theyr not working on Win7. Well see.
I'll stick to XP for now. Don't want to reinstall and it still does the job.
I'll pay them 3,50.
I'm on the XP side too. It does everything I need it to and it's stable. The only reason I'd like to upgrade is for Dx10 stuff, but I'm not even too bothered about that

For the hassle of upgrading, winding up with an operating system that's so far been tested on a comparitively small userbase and an unknown level of buggage, I'm pretty happy. I never upgrade my OS until at least the first Service Pack anyway.
Anyone who experienced the lovely XP SP1 hard drive wipe will appreciate that

So maybe 50p if they're lucky.
I won't buy it. I don't see any serious improvements, so i don't see a reason to upgrade.
I'm using Vista Business 64, without aero and the indexing service.
I'll probably get it. I don't want to be left too far behind, and 7 is pretty quick really. But I don't want to pay the silly full price they are asking (XP isn't cheap yet, and that's donkey's years old [but still better than Vista]).

£100 max. Otherwise I'll stick with XP a bit longer.

7 is pretty stable already though. I'd have been using it as my main OS if the damn thing would install on my PC (it didn't like my PATA DVD-RW, so I'll get a SATA BR soon).
i know this might seem a bit high amount of money for that but 5 cents
3 words for you

torrent
i wouldnt use W7 i prefer my system to be simple and running smooth :P
$0.00
XP for games and Ubuntu for everything else.
Until XP no longer runs the games I play properly, I won't purchase another Microsoft OS.
Quote from MAD3.0LT :i wouldnt use W7 i prefer my system to be simple and running smooth :P

Best reason to go and BUY Win 7 then..I have been running the beta/RC version for months now, and I will definitely be installing it on my entire system...I love it so much I want to have its babies!!

I only hope that M$ realises that lots of HOMES have multiple computers these days, and come out with a group license for home users...say up to 5 computers, the way they do for businesses. (I know its in vain, but I can always hope!)
£100.
I guess I'd pay $50 for it, $100 tops. Main reason I don't want to upgrade is the hassle. With the release candidate I couldn't go straight from XP to 7, can the full release do that? I don't feel like having to install everything again. I guess I'll hold off until the next hard drive reformat. Honestly though, if they're trying to charge almost $200 for it, I may look around the net for it first.
Nothing if I can download it.

(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG