The online racing simulator
LFS Movies Pit end ?
(45 posts, started )
i'm waiting for answer from gp4flo
What kind of bandwidth are we talking about?
Quote from bal00 :What kind of bandwidth are we talking about?

A lot.
Look at LFS MOVIES PIT page at LFS-NEWS, see amount of downloads ? multiple it by filesizes, belive me - lots of bandwitch.

Probably not many of you remember it but before I made LFS MOVIES PIT I was trying to help as much as I could to make LFS movies public by hosting them, in worst scenario ( LFS MOVIES PIT is dead, no help from others ) I will try to do that again ( now I have much bigger hosting capabilities than it was in S1 times ).
ok so are the movies hosted on your computer/server? or are they hosted on a webhostng companies server and you rent the space/hosting?

I am very happy to manage the website but I have little to no bandwith/diskspace available.

We can't let this resource go down the pan people. I'm going to look at costs for hosting a website of this size and then get back to you
normally you have a break down of the amount of bandwidth used per month. Could you give an average figure please?

thx
scott
Hosting is cheap these days. Unless it's over 1TB/mo, it should be relatively easy to find a host. For reference, I'm currently hosting around 20GB worth of videos with ~1100GB traffic/month and it costs me like $0.90/month. I'm not sure if my hosting company still offers those deals, but I figure even if it's like $30 a year, it should be relatively easy to raise that money with a donate button on the website.
Here the situation now:
I'm pming with vectrex and gp4flo about their previus help ideas..no reply tho.. Kamkor has offered to help with adding the movies till september..he's a movie master so his comments should be far better than mine
Filur has a interesting idea too ..he should post it here so everyone can see it.
Well we've got less than 3 weeks to solve this...and remember all files that are stored won't be available so if they still should be downloadable someone has to get them while he can.
Quote from bal00 :For reference, I'm currently hosting around 20GB worth of videos with ~1100GB traffic/month and it costs me like $0.90/month.

You have over a terabyte traffic and pay $0.90 per month? Sounds unbelievable! Maybe you are talking about some hosting site with add banners or something?
Nah, no ads. Dreamhost has a promo deal every year, which is why it's so cheap. You pay $10 for 12 months and get 20GB and 1TB bandwidth = $0.83 per month. They also increase the limits every week, so you get a little more space and BW over time.
hmm I have found a hosting company that does the following:

$15.95/mo
60 GB Disk, 1.6 TB Transfer

Maybe that would be suitable?
Quote from bal00 :Nah, no ads. Dreamhost has a promo deal every year, which is why it's so cheap. You pay $10 for 12 months and get 20GB and 1TB bandwidth = $0.83 per month. They also increase the limits every week, so you get a little more space and BW over time.

Oh, I thought it is 1TB per month, but it is 1TB per year and 10 dollars? Still very cheap.
It's 1TB/month. My current limit is 1.144TB/mo.
I can host the movies on our live-for-speed.de FTP. What I cannot do is to enable user upload, so new movies would have to be uploaded manually.
hehe, I just got a quote for £4000 pounds a month!! lol
Replied your pm kamo

I'm hoping to get some more accurate info tonight or tomorrow
Quote from bal00 :Nah, no ads. Dreamhost has a promo deal every year, which is why it's so cheap. You pay $10 for 12 months and get 20GB and 1TB bandwidth = $0.83 per month. They also increase the limits every week, so you get a little more space and BW over time.

hmm on their website it says 7.95 dollars per month, or is this some other company?
http://www.dreamhost.com/shared/
http://www.dreamhost.com/shared/comparison.html

If I was you, I would definetely go for the 4players space offererd by GP4Flo, damn that stuff is incredibly fast
well if gp4flo idea would work and vectrex too than we could have 2 hosts
Kamkor has offered his help withadding new movies, as u know my mission with mp is almost over.
I can help transfer movies from the old to the new site like we discussed kamo,
My thingie is pretty much complete, if all else fails it'll be available.

Was a good coding exercise even if it's not going to be used for this.

LFS Movies Pit end ?
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG