The online racing simulator
LFS Movies Pit end ?
(45 posts, started )
LFS Movies Pit end ?
Hello all
I'm affraid i have some bad news for u. I recently talked to admin of lfs movies pit...it will be better when i paste this:
Quote :In may I am moving to another city, and I won't have a quick internet connection there. So when I do move, the server will go down for an undetermined amount of timem but at least 7-8 months

already hosted files won't be deleted ..they just go offline for looong time..
so u know the news..nothing can be done i think....in this case i can only ask... Is there somebody willing to help with lfs movie hosting ? as u might know this requires server with no bandwith limit or space..till may we're secured..

i don;t know if this hosting will be back after 7-8 months...i'll ask him later.
ahhhhhh! i really hope you find a host. lfs movies pit is really important imo, and 7-8 months is way to long
At Live-for-Speed.de we've got some space on the freenet FTP cluster. The server has a lot of bandwith (at least it could handle the S1 and S2 release ), so all the movies could be moved to that server.
at least 7-8 months.....any help would be great....but requirements are high. To serve movies to all people massive bandwith is used..also many gb of space...so it will be extremly hard to find replacement for current server.
Quote from GP4Flo :At Live-for-Speed.de we've got some space on the freenet FTP cluster. The server has a lot of bandwith (at least it could handle the S1 and S2 release ), so all the movies could be moved to that server.

thx for proposition
in right time i get back to this.
#6 - KeMoT
Oh, I didn't see it before.
Wrong PM sent :-/
i hope something can be worked out, you guys run a fantastic service and i dont know what lfs would do without you all! thankyou very much
Is this the end of the LFS News site as well, or the movie pit only?

Sorry if I have the wrong Idea.
#9 - KeMoT
LFS NEWS and LFS MOVIES PIT are separate projects so even if LFS MOVIES PIT dissapears, LFS NEWS stays.
As for LFS MOVIES PIT, it will continue working probably GP4Flo will help for the time our server is offline.
As KeMoT said LFS News will stay LFS News only provides a list of the movies... The actual files are hosted elsewhere

The best solution would be to only move the files and not change the site, because then I can just update the links to download from the new host, meaning no redirection to a 2nd or 3rd page. But I guess that depends on the new host
Has anyone got any figures for the amount of space and bandwidth hosting this uses?

Looking on the net I can find unlimited bandwidth packages but they dont offer much disk space...

[edit]
just read something else that says unlimited packages are not worth it, as they will no doubt cap it once the ISP realises its a high usage site.

Does a company exist that will host this thing without breaking the bank?
/edit
As for the bandwitch - I just don't know.
As for the size of all the movies hosted up today - around 30 GB
Here's another solution...

I Just talked with a friend of mine who lives in Sweden and has a very fast connection, and the whole idea about hosting 30GBs of movies didn't scare him at all

He doesn't have a server running right now but he's planning on getting one up in the coming months. If this works out in time before IceAway moves, then the movies pit can continue in the same way as it does now, with ftp accounts and all that
IceAway moves in may.
ButterTyres, a non-managed dedicated server often comes with plenty of bandwidth. Packages offering anything from 900GB to 2TB a month for around $100 are common. A non-managed server requires you to do the maintenance though.

I have plenty of bandwidth left (about 700GB), but I am afraid 30GB of files (and the future) would be pushing it. Tiny harddrive, unfortunately.
Hmmm, hosting only new ones would be also a good solution.
Our server will keep all the current stuff and make it available again when it comes back online.
Quote from KeMoT :Hmmm, hosting only new ones would be also a good solution.
Our server will keep all the current stuff and make it available again when it comes back online.

You mean deleting all the S1 movies?
Quote from deggis :You mean deleting all the S1 movies?

No, why ?
We can store all the movies we have now and the ones people will upload till may and after that someone could host only new movies without old ones.
Bittorrent

Perhaps not fastest-at-all-times, but easily the most reliable and bandwidth saving option.
That's some solution but... ok, nevermind.
Just if there's a bandwidth issue, and not a space issue.
I could be an 80kb/s mirror (source), i could never be windestam.com

<central point>, server acting as tracker and client.
<user> uploads .torrent file, server downloads and seeds content.

Everything else just as usual.

Point being you can limit bandwidth from individual sources but still achieve acceptable speed.

If <user_x> wants to mirror the entire archive, it's super-duper simple and instantly integrated.
<user_y> can also mirror certain parts, becoming instantly available as source without any problems.

NOtice:

Quote :The pit will probably shut down on the 19th of may, possibly a day or
two earlier.

so if anyone want's to continue the project pls speak up..after that movies pit won't be available anymore.
What do you mean by 'continue the project'? Someone who will add movies/manage site or someone who will host them? Or both?
propably both..host them and add them...
Quote from kamo2000 :so if anyone want's to continue the project pls speak up..after that movies pit won't be available anymore.

Previous offers from GP4Flo/VecTreX didn't solve it ?

LFS Movies Pit end ?
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG