(97 posts, started )

Poll : Would You Watch It?

Yes Definately!
Maybe
No
Yes, If I cant take part
I want to take part, I dont want to watch it
#76 - Jakg
Can I ask what the advantage of being live is?
STCC is the way I discovered LFS, and if you can provide what you're saying you will provide, it should be a very good show. But I think internet speeds would be a major problem. If you want to do a nice quality 'cast with multiple people in the house on LFS while also uploading video... I think it would be too hard. But I'm sure that's already been said and you may have a solution for that.

(and then 2 posts got made while I was typing)

It's a tough challenge, but if you pull it off, I'll be watching!
#78 - SamH
Quote from Jakg :Can I ask what the advantage of being live is?

I'm assuming that's to Becky. To my mind, there isn't an advantage to it being live, apart from instant gratification.

If anything, the deferred gratification of a delayed broadcast added to the anticipation on the forum, and the giddiness that ensued resulted in more watchers. That was a very healthy/hearty part of the STCC that can't be retained by a live broadcast. For the live broadcast, if you can't see the race as it happens, you perceive that you've missed it - even if it's an option to download in 100MB chunks later.
Definitely yes, but It's unlikely I could see all the live broadcasts, depending on the time. Even if I could, it would still be nice to be able to save the races. I'm sure others feel the same way. I would think you'd have a larger audience if the races could be downloaded. You could have exclusive content (interviews, qualifying, etc.) for the live show to attract viewers, then make just the races available for download.

I still have the original STCC videos on my computer and re-watch some of them occasionally. I was hoping for more. The STCC was very good racing. I hope this works out.
Quote from Becky Rose :Yah, i'm good with that - and may I say what a pleasure it is to have read a post by you that in no way involved the Apple Mac. (i've gone and done it now ;p ).

1) Posts can be edited.

2) What do you think the "iget" part was referring to?

Quote from dawesdust_12 :2) What do you think the "iget" part was referring to?

lolz... *rolls eyes*

On the subject of live versus delayed:

The issue of live versus delayed is an interesting one. At the time of making the original STCC the desire to go out delayed was born out of wanting to do a good job and there not being the tools to do that live.

I do not think we ever did a good job of the pre and post race coverage, I knew back then it needed a studio show to bring it forward, perhaps with a few cuts to mini-stories or pre-recorded clips for the circuit guide etc. Add in live interviews to that recorded before and after the race, and it might finaly start looking like something cool.

The camera work we got right toward the end of the season with X-Cam, and other tools out there I feel have admirably replicated the STCC style of camera work. I'm going to move things forward again by using a short delay and replay streaming to do pre-emptive calculation on where to put the cameras - X-Cam will know not just when a pass is happening, but when it is about to happen, with it also handling timecode control there will be no buffer outage from using a streamed replay.

Add in live action replays to that mix, and give the studio team a menu that automatically builds a list of each pass and crash that they can recall at any time during or after the race, and we have moved things forward again.

So in short I dont think there is anything we where doing before that we cannot improve upon. Going out live adds more to the technical challenges than it does to workload - if anything my personal workload will be reduced - but I do need a small team of volunteers willing to give much more of themselves than most sim leagues have dared venture before, I need them to turn up and be on camera and be enthusiastic about the series for the 3 filming days.

If I can find those people, and can get the bandwidth necessary, it can be done.
On the live vs delayed thing: whether it's football, racing, sim-racing, golf or whatever I never get the same "buzz" from watching something pre-recorded that I haven't seen before. I realise in a way it is actually the same as watching live because I don't know the outcome, but it's something in knowing that the result has already been decided and not anything can happen, only that which has already taken place . Might be illogical but that's my personal take from a viewer's perspective.
Jeez I know see I completely misunderstood the vote options. I got the wrong one, I clicked "I want to take part, don´t wanna watch it." I should ha´ve taken I watch if I can take part, that´s what I actually meant.
Why can't it be live and recorded? I don't really know how it all works, but will there not be a live feed you can capture, save, and stick on the web somewhere (youtube, torrent, etc)?
Quote from ultrataco :Why can't it be live and recorded? I don't really know how it all works, but will there not be a live feed you can capture, save, and stick on the web somewhere (youtube, torrent, etc)?

From what I understand: If there would be a live broadcast feed, providing it as a downloadable VOD wouldn't be an issue I'd imagine. The issue is in that the demands on resources for such a high-standard live feed are significantly higher than pure post-race production. Becky is talking of physically setting up a home broadcast studio, people actually going on-site to manage it and possibly partnering with real-life business affiliates which brings huge demand to everything being absolutely guaranteed to work and being worth their input.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :From what I understand: If there would be a live broadcast feed, providing it as a downloadable VOD wouldn't be an issue I'd imagine. The issue is in that the demands on resources for such a high-standard live feed are significantly higher than pure post-race production. Becky is talking of physically setting up a home broadcast studio, people actually going on-site to manage it and possibly partnering with real-life business affiliates which brings huge demand to everything being absolutely guaranteed to work and being worth their input.

Maybe they could find someone who can capture the video from the internet while it's being broadcast. I'm sure there's a way to do this (:shrug, and it shouldn't be much (if any) extra work for Becky other than finding someone to do it. This person could also be responsible for uploading it somewhere.
Providing a download afterwards of a live show is not a significant issue, the discussion over the "live" versus "delayed" broadcast is regarding not going out live in the first instance in order to produce a higher quality show. Taking time to polish it up and do lots of fancy post effects, like the way the replays fade in and out on the STCC videos and so on.

I think a lot of the fear of going out live is the STCC just being no more than existing live shows, but I think it's fair to expect I wouldn't be interested in doing that anyway.

I don't think an aweful lot can be added to the delayed method of broadcasting that cannot be done live with the right preperation, team, and tools: Removal of mistakes; and there being no risk of failure, are the only things that spring to mind.
Quote from Becky Rose :Providing a download afterwards of a live show is not a significant issue, the discussion over the "live" versus "delayed" broadcast is regarding not going out live in the first instance in order to produce a higher quality show. Taking time to polish it up and do lots of fancy post effects, like the way the replays fade in and out on the STCC videos and so on.

I think a lot of the fear of going out live is the STCC just being no more than existing live shows, but I think it's fair to expect I wouldn't be interested in doing that anyway.

I don't think an aweful lot can be added to the delayed method of broadcasting that cannot be done live with the right preperation, team, and tools: Removal of mistakes; and there being no risk of failure, are the only things that spring to mind.

oh, I see. Whatever decide you do, I just want to be able to watch the races. You did a fantastic job with the STCC broadcasts last time.
May i throw my hat in and suggest for Live Events using a service such as uStream. It seems to work quite well and the quality might not be the best but it allows ustream to take some of that giant bandwidth hit and im pretty sure you can also record shows.
The thing that the old STCC videos did well was catch all the action. In a live version you could miss a great battle for 3rd, while watching the leader for 3 turns. It happens alot in live streams of MoE/IGTC/iTCC, but I guess that's just a down side to live coverage.
Quote from PMD9409 :The thing that the old STCC videos did well was catch all the action. In a live version you could miss a great battle for 3rd, while watching the leader for 3 turns. It happens alot in live streams of MoE/IGTC/iTCC, but I guess that's just a down side to live coverage.

This is why I'm developing X-Cam to run on a short delay so it knows not only what is happening, but what is about to happen, also every pass and crash will be logged and recallable by the commentators at any time - inspired by professional EDS systems, X-Cam will do it automagically and compile a list of events as they happen - you won't miss a thing
And trust me... The X-Cam system does a mighty fine job of keeping up with the action.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :And trust me... The X-Cam system does a mighty fine job of keeping up with the action.

I'm trusting you!
AHA! I've found it!

Thanks for the heads up on its where-abouts, I wouldn't have found it if it weren't for the wonderful Twitter Mobile!

Voted the second option.
Of course I would watch and follow this series. There's too few good Sim-Racing-TV events anyway...
Bring back STCC!

Ofcourse I would watch it. Whether I'd watch it live or on demand would just be a question of how the STCC schedule clashes with mine.
Well I tested bandwidth at the lab and upload is a little worse than here, although download is much better. However speaking to the icon guys about their stream I think my connection will handle that - although i'm yet to test it.

STCC - Would You Watch It?
(97 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG