The online racing simulator
Quote from Becky Rose :Part of this sport I love is assisting other drivers to spin, not something i'm that partial too, but still it's a part of the parcel.

Helping other drivers to spin is not part of non-contact motorsport, deliberate contact is completely unacceptable in any situation but may be viewed less seriously when the speeds and danger are lower, shoving a car out of the way at a hairpin is unsportsmanlike and ruins racing. Deliberately spinning a car out at high speed on a straight is nothing short of assault with a deadly weapon, and if there is evidence to prove that this was a deliberate action there's no way it can be anything other than manslaughter.

Quote :I think if it's looked at any other way you get into a culture of blame, and for the other driver concerned i'm sure that's a moment that will haunt the rest of his life anyway without other people pointing the finger at him.

Well this looks like a clear cut situation from what can be seen in the video (which may not be the full story). One car clearly span the other through contact due to the driver inexplicably nudging his nose in then pulling up the track, suggesting either total incompetence or a deliberate attempt to spin the other car, either way this was not just a clear cut tragic accident.

Quote from deggis :Very few racing series exist without ratifying FIA's International Sporting Code.

Very few oval series have any association with the FIA, the only example I can think of was the ill fated ASCAR/European oval nonsense. NASCAR and the other independent bodies don't answer to the FIA, neither does grassroots motorsport organsied by local promoters (ie. short circuit and autograss), which although it gets very little publicity probably has as many racers in the UK as all forms of car to car racing that answer to the MSA.
This controvery on the other driver is what I find amusing.

This is almost the exact conduct when dale earnhardt was killed. This incident is very sad indeed but I seriously doubt that the driver spun him out on purpose. When racing is that close especially on oval contact like that is inevitable tbh.

After all when sterlin marlin made contact with dale that resulted in his death it was surely intentional right?

This is intentional wrecking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEncyMy3ysI

I'll hav to watch that video again as I'm on my mobile but that just looks like hard racing gone wrong. People are too quick to judge when it comes to oval racing imho.

Btw can someone plz explain to me why this crash was fatal when these famous nascar crashes weren't? Different Car? Different Angle?
Steve Grissom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... &feature=channel_page
Jeff Fuller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5sVheIcffM

I'm especially confused that Grissom was able to walk away when that guy died
I'm willing to bet the rollcage of that Mexican car isn't built to the standard of a NASCAR stock car, just like those Argentinian (Or was it Brazilian?) stockers that resulted in the death of one of their drivers last year.

[EDIT] Just watched your vids. Grissom's car backed into the wall, meaning there was more space between himself and the wall to absorb the impact, plus, much of the force was diverted in another direction (which is why his car shot out and kept travelling). The poor bloke in the OP's video was not so fortunate, his car essentially came to a dead stop in a sideways impact. Very little space to absorb the impact and there was no diflection of force, his body bore the brunt of it for sure. Of the two examples you posted, Fuller's crash looks a LOT worse (than Grissom's) to me, but both had diflection of force, whereas this Mexican stock car had no such thing.

In a crash, it's not the impact that kills you (generally), it's the deceleration. A dead stop is a hell of a lot worse for your body than flipping end over end down the backstretch, despite how dramatic the latter may be.
The wall on the first video is really close to the road so there is not enough room for the car to reduce it's speed while sliding and also the area of contact was too small at that specific spot because the wall had an opening there with the edge of it almost facing the direction of the track.
#30 - JJ72
Quote from deggis :Very few racing series exist without ratifying FIA's International Sporting Code.

FIA saction races, but they don't own the track and have no right in deciding whether the facility should be allowed for further use, if any it's under the influence of local health and safety regulations.
Ouch.. nasty accident... silly wall.. like, seriously..what idiot thought that would be a good idea..

But the impact was cool..like with the big sploosh of water or something

Anyway uhm yeah, move along.
Quote from MAGGOT :I'm willing to bet the rollcage of that Mexican car isn't built to the standard of a NASCAR stock car, just like those Argentinian (Or was it Brazilian?) stockers that resulted in the death of one of their drivers last year.

It should be, and I think it is, but all the other thing like the bodykit is stupid breaks very easy. I think that the rollcage didnt cause the death, i mean from 220kph to 0 kph in .3 secs..
Wall is in such a wrong place. Enormous accident too.
There are crashes just like that all the time in oval racing. The layout of those barriers at that circuit is like something from the 70s. Yes, a driver can refuse to race, but you'd also expect "in this day and age" that a national association would take reasonable steps to minimise the risk and you can bet people are paid to do just that. It isn't even a "freak" accident, it's just unfortunate that it happened at that one spot.

It's like a rally driver going off on the one corner lined with stupid spectators every year. These things become only a matter of time.
#35 - 5haz
Quote from lizardfolk :Btw can someone plz explain to me why this crash was fatal when these famous nascar crashes weren't? Different Car? Different Angle?
Steve Grissom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... &feature=channel_page
Jeff Fuller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5sVheIcffM

I'm especially confused that Grissom was able to walk away when that guy died

In the crash at Puebla, the car hit the wall 'end on', instead of side on like it should have done if the barrier was placed properly, tbh no roll cage can withstand hitting a wall end on.

For example, Mike Harmon at Bristol a few years back, was unlucky enough to hit the wall at the exact point where there is a small gate to allow access, the gate snapped and so he hit the wall end on, even a car built to full Nascar safety standards was completely ripped to pieces, luckily Mike wasn't hurt, especially after a following car ran into the wreckage.
non-18+ version? =/
Quote from lizardfolk :This controvery on the other driver is what I find amusing.

This is almost the exact conduct when dale earnhardt was killed. This incident is very sad indeed but I seriously doubt that the driver spun him out on purpose. When racing is that close especially on oval contact like that is inevitable tbh.

It's only suggestion but it does fit in this situation that there wasn't fair play, from some of the comments it seems like these drivers had come together a few laps before and were known for being fiery characters and there's no reason that I can see why the other car moved across the car in front, which he should have been clearly able to see.
Quote from ajp71 :It's only suggestion but it does fit in this situation that there wasn't fair play, from some of the comments it seems like these drivers had come together a few laps before and were known for being fiery characters and there's no reason that I can see why the other car moved across the car in front, which he should have been clearly able to see.

Look at the surface of the Road im sure that has to play in the incident as well.
Thank you guys who explained to me the seriousness of the impact. The more I look at Grissom and Fuller's wrecks the more I see Pardo's wreck was actually very serious. Yeh, the car instantly stopped.

Quote from ajp71 :It's only suggestion but it does fit in this situation that there wasn't fair play, from some of the comments it seems like these drivers had come together a few laps before and were known for being fiery characters and there's no reason that I can see why the other car moved across the car in front, which he should have been clearly able to see.

It's Jorge Goeters right? I dont really know him that well but I am some what familiar with him as he raced in Sprint Cup before. Based on his performance in Sprint Cup I dont think he did that in purpose.

But I will admit there is the possibility he tagged Pardo as a revenge ploy but I do not think that is the case. Just be careful on where you shift the blame.

Also, the more I look at that the more I think it's that wall that did the most damage. It almost looks like a 90 degree wall just petruding in the middle of the infield. Quite unsafe.
That sure is an amazing accident. Surely someone placing that wall would know it would rip a car open due to its point of contact being so small.A small wall positioned at the wrong angle can rip through a fast moving car like a hot knife to butter. Especially when the car is going sideways, as proved here.

R.I.P
the FIA should close all oval tracks.... they are very safe on the outside, but the grass areas on the inside are very dangerous....

just see greg moore or alex zanardi...
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :the FIA should close all oval tracks.... they are very safe on the outside, but the grass areas on the inside are very dangerous....

Ummm...the outside wall can be dangerous as well. I mean look at Meira's broken vertebrae from the recent Indy 500. Also, lets not forget about the many drivers who have lost their lives at Daytona or Indy for hitting the outside wall head on (and these aren't the only tracks with fatalities). Just the brutal nature of the oval.

As for banning all oval...well...your statement is a very crude generalization of ovals. I'm sure no one has ever died from hitting the inside wall of short ovals like Bristol or Martinsville.

But of course, a death on one oval is hardly a warrant for closing all ovals. After all Imola is still used after Ratzenberger and Senna's death...
The FIA has ZERO power to ban any racing on any circuits.
#44 - 5haz
True true, people think of the FIA like its the government, having authority over everything, but it isn't. If you have a racing circuit and a few willing drivers you can run a race and happily tell the FIA to bugger off.

Of course national Health and Safety laws probrably apply if its a public event.
Quote from 5haz :In the crash at Puebla, the car hit the wall 'end on', instead of side on like it should have done if the barrier was placed properly, tbh no roll cage can withstand hitting a wall end on.

For example, Mike Harmon at Bristol a few years back, was unlucky enough to hit the wall at the exact point where there is a small gate to allow access, the gate snapped and so he hit the wall end on, even a car built to full Nascar safety standards was completely ripped to pieces, luckily Mike wasn't hurt, especially after a following car ran into the wreckage.

Michael Waltip at Bristol hit the same wall head on, and also walked away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVlj7F8OJCY

NASCAR has had some lucky breaks in the past, not due to the car being so tough.

Mike Harmon's crash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuzCc0hBKYE
Quote from lizardfolk :Well...this isn't NASCAR, it's "World of Outlaw's" winged sprint cars but NASCAR driver Johnny Benson was hospitalized in serious condition on Sunday from this crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzuoc94oXhE&feature=fvst

The irony is that his injuries resulting from the crash itself weren't that serious. A broken rib, and some minor bruises. The serious condition he was in (he's expected to make a full recovery) was a result of inhaling the chemicals used in the fire extinguisher that was used to put out the fire in his car. Or so I understand.
Any impact, with any wall, at any significant speed can cause injury or death. It doesn't matter how strong the cars are, even if the driver doesn't appear to be physically hurt, internal injuries could be caused by a crash.... The body isn't designed to stop from any considerable speed, in a couple of milliseconds.

The access lane, and its angle to the track was quite a bad combination, as the car hit it amost parallel.

Its a shame to see drivers killed in any motorsport regardless of my opinion of the sport. But atleast he died doing something he enjoyed.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG