The online racing simulator
noobing solution
(28 posts, started )
#1 - e.M
noobing solution
so here it is when you install lfs you could freely play in single player but you would have to complete all the lessons to go online. pluses would be that players would learn to brake and overtake properly so there would be less crashes. your opinions?
against.
i would dislike my multiplayer access restricted by some driving lessons that i do not need and never completed.
Why not simply add a player flag indicating that the player completed the training? Leave the handling to the hosts and their InSim apps
A simply noobing suggestion good sir!

-1 from me. The more I think about morpha's suggestion the more I like it...though it'd be bloody annoying with having to do the training again every patch, and the AI would need to be updated first anyway.
+1 for morpha's take on this.

Kudos to OP for a reasonable suggestion, you don't see those that often..
#6 - amp88
There are a few problems with the actual training lessons as they are just now. For example, there are some where you need to pass the AI which can be a difficult job (because they are pretty much unaware of where you are) and you're forced to use certain setups which you're never again going to use once you get into multiplayer (and you get good setups from other racers or websites) and your training progress is lost if you reinstall LFS (perhaps it could be stored on a central server and synched when you unlock LFS).

-1 at the moment from me.
Quote from morpha :Why not simply add a player flag indicating that the player completed the training? Leave the handling to the hosts and their InSim apps

+1

As amp says, the training needs to be perfected, really, especially the AI. But, an InSim NPL flag for training completion would be brilliant (and maybe a byte representing the average/lowest rating the player scored in training), to pick out the complete novices from those that have at least some experience
#8 - amp88
Quote from dougie-lampkin :But, an InSim NPL flag for training completion would be brilliant (and maybe a byte representing the average/lowest rating the player scored in training), to pick out the complete novices from those that have at least some experience

The problem with that is that not a lot of people try to complete training. I, for example, have only 3 lessons done at the moment because my progress was reset when I reinstalled LFS. When I originally got LFS I did all the lessons but now I can't be bothered because they usually contain the annoying AI or the annoying setups. So, an InSim application that reads a "training complete" flag would see I haven't completed training, label me a noob and kick me but let someone who scraped through every lesson into the server because their flag says they've passed. Even having some sort of "average level" to show who have pro/quick etc passes is flawed if someone chooses not to do training.
i think it could work but there would need to be some changes to the game.
+1 to morpha's idea. We could then create different access to servers depending on the training level, ofc if it is improved first.
Quote from jasonmatthews :+1 to morpha's idea. We could then create different access to servers depending on the training level, ofc if it is improved first.

And if I don't want to do the training? I remember when I bought S2, 5 min later I was playing online and not doing training... my training was demo.
I would be against such an idea. All you have to do is complete them once and then you can just do all you wish good or bad...

IMO, the rating system in NR03 worked fairly well. Numbered ranks for each style of track (short track, speedway, super speedway, and road course) as well as a "Laps Per Incident" (LPI) ranking made people want to KEEP their ranks up.

Of course you had to work your way up from a lowly noob server, but once you got your rank up, pickup racing was great. You had serious people that wanted to race instead of crashers. The only time I had a problem with crashers was when someone had crashed / been crashed durring a racing incident and just wanted to retaliate, and when servers had no restrictions on them to people could get their rank up.

I would think this may be the best solution, but this is the only solution I've seen that worked so far.
As I said, training would have to be improved greatly. I personally have never completed the training but if it were to be rethought out, then I believe it could work. I know LFS is an online Racing Simulator but it would be nice if in the future the Training could be turned into a single player game in itself.

Maybe us users could come up with some ideas of how it could work? All the content is already there, it would just need Scawen to improve the AI and restructure the training. This would I believe open LFS to a whole new market and could really boost the online numbers. I think something like this wouldn't work until we went to S3, but for a minimal amount of effort on Scavier's part could give the game a new dimension.
-1 Really bad idea, the training is really bad. And improving the AI only slightly changes that.

+1 To the idea of basically having a GOOD training mode (not just the current one with improved AI). One that is a challenge, to really improve your skills.
-1 From me, seriously eventually you have to do all the challenges and it would be so boring if you faild it and had to do it over and over and over again. It causes more problems then it solves to be honest.
how about having an L-plate next to their names until they win X-races or score X amount of points online?

Points? Are we racing the same LFS?
Bob, many servers have a point system because they're running a tracker like Airio.. I guess that's what he meant.
yeah it is, i know some server don't have them, but maybe that could be in the next patch?
Quote from oli17 :yeah it is, i know some server don't have them, but maybe that could be in the next patch?

Points were in lfs in the past (credits). Dont think they need to return again. TY
It wouldn't help really. Bad players would still get to online before they learn to drive properly. Racing online against real people is very different than racing against an AI. Training lessons can't teach you how to race for real.

Besides most people would find the lessons a nuisance. Then someone would probably find a way to bypass the lessons and share the revelation. Then we would be in square one again, except few people who don't visit the forum or are not skilled in Google Fu would still be annoyed by the lessons.
Wouldn't it be easier to just take a simple test for a license?
Compose the test of certain skills and knowledge needed for racing?
If the test is failed then maybe take the driving lessons.

I never actually cared for the lessons, but I wouldn't take a simple test to prove i'm worthy enough to race online. Why complete courses or lessons (whichever you prefer to call them)?

Surely, you can't actually think taking a test is a good idea also... I'm against the lessons and anything else that wastes my time.

geeman1, it's called perfecting the lessons... people just study and pass the tests and race the way they want or see fit. Doesn't do a single thing but waste perfectly good time.
Quote from runeman :Wouldn't it be easier to just take a simple test for a license?
Compose the test of certain skills and knowledge needed for racing?
If the test is failed then maybe take the driving lessons.

I never actually cared for the lessons, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't take a simple test to prove i'm worthy enough to race online. Why complete courses or lessons (whichever you prefer to call them)?

Surely, you can't actually think taking a test is a good idea also... I'm against the lessons and anything else that wastes my time.

geeman1, it's called perfecting the lessons... people just study and pass the tests and race the way they want or see fit. Doesn't do a single thing but waste perfectly good time.

You pay 30 euros for the game and have to pass some stupid test? Don't want to sound rude, but it's ridiculous. For demoers as well.
I remember a FPS game that had lessons that would have to be completed to be able to play in some server and all i can remember that it was a pain in the ass. Yes, the lessons were different and maybe a bit tougher compared to lfs, but only thinking about having to complete some of the most annoying lessons made me leave the game be.
We do not need credit system in LFS again. never again. thanks

noobing solution
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG