The online racing simulator
Linux!
(55 posts, started )
Quote from dawesdust_12 :No wonder you're so retarded.

Windows user.

</thread>

So I'm retarded for wanting to earn a bit of cash?

Oh dear.

You'll grow up one day sonny.
One day you'll realize the error in your ways and switch to something decent.

Until then, you'll default to being retarded.

Dustin, how on earth was I complaining? You really should stop bringing up the OS war. Also I never said that installing drivers was hard, but just said that PCLinuxOS does it for you. Re-read your other posts and you will realise what you are actually doing.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :sudo chmod 644 <directory here> will allow you to put stuff into it.

Thanks - but where the hell do I type that in when I'm sat looking at an Ubuntu desktop?
Quote from shaun463 :Dustin, how on earth was I complaining? You really should stop bringing up the OS war. Also I never said that installing drivers was hard, but just said that PCLinuxOS does it for you. Re-read your other posts and you will realise what you are actually doing.

Except that defeats the purpose of Linux. The whole idea of linux is customization and doing things yourself. Having it be pre-compiled for you is breaking that entire philosophy. Instead of finding a distro that does stuff for you (an RPM based distro that that -- EWW!), try to learn how to do things yourself.

If you want something to do everything for you, go buy a ****ing Mac.

#31 - arco
Quote from STROBE :So I've installed Apache from the package manager thingy, and the www directory to put sites in works (I get the default "it works!" page when accessing it across the LAN) but the directory appears to be owned by root, and I can't do shit with it - not even drop the phpbb files into it, let alone change the permissions. Any clues?

Use sudo to copy them as root.

And btw Gentoo/Portage ftw, even if it takes a while with all the compiling. But once you have your system set up it isn't that much work really. Real benefit is that you can totally optimize the installation for your cpu and get the most speed out of it.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :One day you'll realize the error in your ways and switch to something decent.

Until then, you'll default to being retarded.

What, like OSX?

And use Logic 8?

I could save myself lots of money and just run Logic 5.5 on my Windows box. Afterall, 8 is just 5.5 with a new interface. So what's the point?

My Windows DAW does the job better then any other DAW on any other OS. For me to switch would be rather counter-productive.

Engage your brain before you post. You're coming off as a brainless peon here.
#33 - arco
Quote from STROBE :Thanks - but where the hell do I type that in when I'm sat looking at an Ubuntu desktop?

Not very familiar with Ubuntu, but drop to a terminal window, type sudo apt-get install mc, then sudo mc, and use that to move files around. I'm sure it can be done from desktop too, but I'm a shell fan.
Alt+F2 then "gnome-terminal", then the sudo chmod 644 <directory> will do it.
Quote from Syfoon :Bet you're the kind of bloke who just shit himself because Apple announced the new Macbooks will have Firewire again.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :You probably just shit your pants because Linus just announced another Kernel update.

Quote from Syfoon :Once again you fail.

I lol'd.
Quote from Syfoon :I've considered Macs, but then I remember Logic 8 sucks compared to 5.5 on Windows.

Apple destroyed what was the best DAW about.

real men use trackers

anway just ignore the underdoinked 12 year old
#37 - arco
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Alt+F2 then "gnome-terminal", then the sudo chmod 644 <directory> will do it.

644 is default permission for files, 755 is default for dirs. With 644 he wouldn't even be able to enter the directory. If he wants to avoid being root to copy files into it, he must take ownership of the directory with sudo chown -R <user>:<group> <directory>

For example: sudo chown -R noob:root <directory>
Quote from arco :644 is default permission for files, 755 is default for dirs. With 644 he wouldn't even be able to enter the directory. If he wants to avoid being root to copy files into it, he must take ownership of the directory with sudo chown -R <user>:<group> <directory>

For example: sudo chown -R noob:root <directory>

What about:
Right click - copy file
Go to the folder you want
Right click - paste file

?????????

(I wonder why I don't use Linux...)
#39 - arco
Quote from Velociround :What about:
Right click - copy file
Go to the folder you want
Right click - paste file

Sure, if he has permission to put things in the folder. In linux you have a root user, which have access to everyting in the file system. Normal users can only store files in their own home directory.
Quote from arco :Normal users can only store files in their own home directory.

and /tmp.
The only thing that puts me off owning a Mac is being associated with the user mentality that Dustin posts across this forum in his relentless pursuit of promoting Apple. If it wasnt for Dustin i'd have got a new Mac ages ago.

As for Linux -eeep, I tried working with it for almost 6 months but it was effecting my productivity, I think it's ok as a platform, just I don't think it should be installed on any computer that users sit infront of.
Quote from Becky Rose :The only thing that puts me off owning a Mac is being associated with the user mentality that Dustin posts across this forum in his relentless pursuit of promoting Apple. If it wasnt for Dustin i'd have got a new Mac ages ago.

This would explain so many things.

You not wanting to associate with greatness.

If this was my own forum, dustin would've been wearing an infraction since many moons ago.

Why?...

He's just annoying people, talking greatness about Macs, and It's okay (only the first posts) that he's so inside the product he likes but for the love of god stop it, I mean, I don't like going to every thread that has something to do with OS's and all I see are three types of fanboys (not everyone, but still enemies). Windows people that might like to try something else, Linux users that are awesomely patient, and fancy Mac users that like Macs because of them being enough (or waaaay too useful) for their own needs (as the others OS's are for every other people).

Dustin, cut the crap, you've had a lot of fun already reading all the posts that people have replied to you failing to read your sarcasm.

As for the moderators, can't you see he's almost insulting everyone?. This isn't a way to behave, anywhere or at any situation, IMO. If you want a forum full of trolls, well... you're doing it perfectly.

/rant
I do get infractions. In fact I'm wearing one right now.

I am able to help Linux users (as Unix based operating systems are similar in many ways), but there's no reason why I can't insult people. I'm not being derogative, just poking some hilarious fun at everyone. Especially seeing you lot are easier than a PMSing woman to wind up at the faintest "GO MAC OS!" comment.

You guys do put up a pretty great argument, sadly a cluster-**** of 10 or so people that take my flame-bait can't stump one teenager.

Also, there's no rules AGAINST me discussing differing OS's, and just because YOU find the way that I start discussions to be annoying has no weight.

I'm glad you're not running this forum, else you'd have banned Tristan ages ago.

/MAC OS IS THE BEST!
Put Mac OSX boy on your ignore list, problem solved

If this was my forum he would have been banned along time ago. By that I mean the full works, email, IP address etc.

But of course the mods *cough* SamH *cough* "know him" and so hes allowed to go Mac trolling through every thread that's created about Linux and Windows like the little 12 year old he is.

Ontopic: I might have to check this PCLinuxOS 2009 out at some point, it does look rather good
#46 - Jakg
Quote from mclarenmatt :But of course the mods *cough* SamH *cough* "know him" and so hes allowed to go Mac trolling through every thread that's created about Linux and Windows like the little 12 year old he is.

I hate to break it to you, but Sam isn't the only mod, nothing is stopping Bob from banning him if he wants...
Quote from Jakg :I hate to break it to you, but Sam isn't the only mod, nothing is stopping Bob from banning him if he wants...

I know that JakG but everytime someone complains about him SamH comes in and starts telling everyone how hes only winding us up.

Still doesn't stop him Mac spamming every bloody Windows or Linux thread does it?
Quote from Jakg :I hate to break it to you, but Sam isn't the only mod, nothing is stopping Bob from banning him if he wants...

Not only that, but Sam is not biased and cannot be if he is to be an effective mod. If somebody is acting up, then they need dealing with no matter who they are.
#49 - Jakg
Quote from mclarenmatt :I know that JakG but everytime someone complains about him SamH comes in and starts telling everyone how hes only winding us up.

Thats because he is - Is Sam not allowed an opinion?

Just because Sam says he's taking the piss - doesn't mean that Bob et al couldn't ban him if they wanted to.
Quote from Jakg :Thats because he is - Is Sam not allowed an opinion?

Just because Sam says he's taking the piss - doesn't mean that Bob et al couldn't ban him if they wanted to.

Obviously Sam is allowed an opinion but don't you think it's gone on too much now?

Maybe it was just a joke at first by Dustin, fair enough. Now though all the Windows threads are getting him screaming "OSX rules" in and to be honest its starting to take the piss a bit.

Linux!
(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG