The online racing simulator
Linux!
(55 posts, started )
Linux!
As you may already know, I tried Ubuntu 7.0 ages ago, but now I have stumbled upon something very special . PCLinuxOS 2009 is what I am using and it is flipping amazing! It has more fancy effects than Vista yet uses 50% less of the CPU and 30% less memory! LFS should work with a bit more ease due to built-in drivers for GFX cards! Apart from using Windows applications, I can't see a single reason why Windows is any better than FREE PCLinuxOS!
What is better compared to Ubuntu? From what i've red it's based on Mandrake. I've always liked Debian and Ubuntu because of the easy use of Apt.
Btw, that OS looks pretty fancy. Wont try it now, but definately will add to my intrests list if theres any upcoming formats.
#4 - samjh
Quote from marzman :What is better compared to Ubuntu? From what i've red it's based on Mandrake. I've always liked Debian and Ubuntu because of the easy use of Apt.

Most package managers are very friendly to use now.

And I think you mean apt-get or aptitude. You can't really "use" apt in the sense of "use software". Apt is a package management framework, not a software program you can run.

Different strokes for different folks. Ubuntu is good in many aspects, but far from all.
I've not looked into what you said about the graphics drivers, but having all your graphics drivers installed onto the OS I can't help but think they aren't going to be perfectly optimised, compared to the drivers that Nvidia, ATI..etc release.
I still can't get myself to use any RPM-based package manager. I'm sorry, but the dependency resolution still isn't properly there and it's...well...slow!

Of course, this is coming from an Arch user, so I'm used to speed and simplicity with pacman
Quote from JohnUK89 :I still can't get myself to use any RPM-based package manager. I'm sorry, but the dependency resolution still isn't properly there and it's...well...slow!

Of course, this is coming from an Arch user, so I'm used to speed and simplicity with pacman

arch, the wannabe gentoo.
Quote from JohnUK89 :Not at all - we don't wanna spend weeks updating

oh, it's not that bad... unless you're still using a p1...
Quote from bunder9999 :arch, the wannabe gentoo.

Wrong. Gentoo is still insane enough to think compiling from source is a good thing (it can be, just not usually). Arch takes a more pragmatic approach.
MAC IS A BETTER LINUX THAN ANY LINUX WILL EVER BE!

</all caps if the forum mangles it>
Quote from JohnUK89 :Okay then, days

on a machine that hasn't been updated in months...

74 packages. started at 4pm, finished at 9:30pm. using -j3 and niced to +15. running on "one cpu" of a prescott 3.0e (ht)

5 hours can hardly be called more than one day.
Quote from bunder9999 :5 hours can hardly be called more than one day.

It's already twice as long as a French work day, once you take into account their lunch breaks.
Quote from bunder9999 :on a machine that hasn't been updated in months...

74 packages. started at 4pm, finished at 9:30pm. using -j3 and niced to +15. running on "one cpu" of a prescott 3.0e (ht)

5 hours can hardly be called more than one day.

My Arch box has over 200 packages installed. KDE gets updated in its entirety every week or so. Anyway, this is all pointless bickering, horses for courses and all
I really have got to say that the graphics drivers are fantastic! They are all on the LiveCD but PCLinuxOS detects which ones you need and only installs those. LFS runs with this but not with Ubuntu 7.0 on my PC. I will upload a picture as soon as I can.
Quote from shaun463 :I really have got to say that the graphics drivers are fantastic! They are all on the LiveCD but PCLinuxOS detects which ones you need and only installs those. LFS runs with this but not with Ubuntu 7.0 on my PC. I will upload a picture as soon as I can.

You're dumb then. You shouldn't use linux if your only use is to install Windows stuff. installing drivers isn't even difficult in linux but you're too uneducated. please install windows and stop trying to put a square peg into a round hole.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :You're dumb then. You shouldn't use linux if your only use is to install Windows stuff. installing drivers isn't even difficult in linux but you're too uneducated. please install windows and stop trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

I can tell you're an Apple user... :rolleyes:

So he's not allowed to run a Windows app in Linux? Who said that he ONLY wanted to use LFS on it? Perhaps he wants to further his knowledge of OS's by trying to get his head around a new one? Please pull your head out of your own or Steve Jobs arse and at least try to understand the fact that people like to try new things with their computers, instead of having it do everything for them.

Shaun, update your Ubuntu. 7 is old I'm running 8.10 and LFS runs quite nicely.
No, it's called using the right tool for the job.

If you're too ****ing stupid to use linux (and want to use it to just run Windows stuff), why not just use a buggy piece of cra.... I mean Windows?

Installing any driver in Linux isn't difficult by any stretch either. I've known how since I was 10 or 11 when I first tried messing around with Linux.

If you want to use something decent, use OSX

If you want to run a server or customize, Linux exists for that.

Use the right tool for the job and stop trying to use the wrong tool for the job. You wouldn't build an apartment building with Play-Doh would you?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :No, it's called using the right tool for the job.

If you're too ****ing stupid to use linux (and want to use it to just run Windows stuff), why not just use a buggy piece of cra.... I mean Windows?

Installing any driver in Linux isn't difficult by any stretch either. I've known how since I was 10 or 11 when I first tried messing around with Linux.

If you want to use something decent, use OSX

If you want to run a server or customize, Linux exists for that.

Use the right tool for the job and stop trying to use the wrong tool for the job. You wouldn't build an apartment building with Play-Doh would you?

I fail to see how wanting to run something non-native in your desktop environment is "f-ing stupid".

I love a blast on Streets of Rage 2 on the Sega MegaDrive. Since my MD died a death from being in the (cold and damp) loft, I play it on my PC. Does that make me stupid because I'm not playing it on original hardware? No.

Shaun didn't say that he's only interested in running Doze apps, in fact in the opening post he mentioned that Windows would (obviously) be better for that.

And I haven't seen any posts in this thread saying that the OP, or anyone, has had a problem with Linux, so you saying that "if you're too f-ing stupid to run Linux" is a total waste of time and just strengthening my opinion that you're a total bellend.

Bet you're the kind of bloke who just shit himself because Apple announced the new Macbooks will have Firewire again.
Nah, I don't care about reintroducing Firewire as all my Mac's work just fine with the Firewire they already have. Not like when they got removed from the last models mine started to malfunction... So you're pretty good at trying to peg fanboy on me, when some announcement isn't gonna affect my current hardware.

It's just dumb for you to install Linux to run Windows stuff, and then complain that one doesn't do it as well as another, and the only reason Product B does allow it to work better is because it's ****ing idiot proof and has him not do anything... LIKE WINDOWS!

I didn't say emulating older hardware was a bad idea, but when you have stuff that is current, having a "compatibility layer" to run something that you could be running natively if you could be ****ed to reboot (so go make a sandwich and you'd be able to run it natively). It's just useless and stupid.

But I wouldn't expect you to listen. You probably just shit your pants because Linus just announced another Kernel update.

Lol, fanboyism aside, maybe someone can help me here. I'm a Linux n00b, although I'm familiar with basic navigation, vi, etc as a user on a unix server, I'm getting stuck with installing stuff on an Ubuntu test rig I've got set up (latest version of Ubuntu desktop).

I borrowed the old hardware from work and planned on learning how to set up Apache, and install and configure phpbb (just a little side project I'm doing at work to make me more useful. )

So I've installed Apache from the package manager thingy, and the www directory to put sites in works (I get the default "it works!" page when accessing it across the LAN) but the directory appears to be owned by root, and I can't do shit with it - not even drop the phpbb files into it, let alone change the permissions. Any clues?
sudo chmod 644 <directory here> will allow you to put stuff into it.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :But I wouldn't expect you to listen. You probably just shit your pants because Linus just announced another Kernel update.

Once again you fail.

I'm a Windows man, merely because my audio DAW runs in it.

I've considered Macs, but then I remember Logic 8 sucks compared to 5.5 on Windows.

Apple destroyed what was the best DAW about.
No wonder you're so retarded.

Windows user.

</thread>

Linux!
(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG