The online racing simulator
Speed is low even at high revs in all gears
Hi all,

My son (8 yeas old) has been playing LFS more than I have for a long time. He's been playing with something and now in all gears, all cars, we cannot get much speed up in all gears.

Get to max revs, but never get much above the speed you might expect in 1st or 2nd.

I've mucked around with gear ratios and final drive ratio and this does not help. I can only assume he has changed something else somewhere, but of course he cannot remember where!!!

Any ideas where he might have changed a global variable?

He's only 8, and not at all well (in lots of pain, and the only thing that helps is getting him distracted, it's midnight here and he is still awake, it's been like this for the last month) so I'd like to get this working again for him.

He is playing on the Wii at present, but if possible I'd like to fix LFS

Many, many thanks in advance

Simon
What cars is this in? All the race cars have a pit lane speed limiter that you need to turn off (default key is 'L'). If the cars are magically stuck at 47mph, this is your cure.

If not that, what controller are you using? Remembering what my old Momo pedals were like, it's possible you're not getting 100% throttle anymore.
Hi Simon, Welcome to the forums, If you want a quick fix you can just make a new folder and download LFSZ into the new folder, run it to extract the files, and then you can unlock it when you first run it.

This will not in any way change or mess up the LFS you already have, you will be able to run either one.

If the gears are all wrong you could have burn't out the clutch (press F9 to see tyres info & clutch bar, red is hot)

Goodluck

SD.
Thanks for the quick reply Bob, but it's not the Pit lane limiter.

Neither is it the Clutch Dave.

The cars (all cars) behave like ther are operating with V high revs and almost no torque.

Both examples are on the Kyoto bowl.

1, Mini UF1000 - can slowly (30 seconds) get up to about 30 in ist; 40 in second, 50 in third and maybe 65 in 4th; this takes about 1 minute and about 1/2 a lap.
2, Formula V8 - slowly thru gears up to about 95

I will re-download _Z somewhere else and see what happens
Try going into options - display and set 'show pedals' to [yes]

This will help to determine if you are in fact getting full throttle or not.
Just a thought...

Are you using a wheel and pedals set? , it could be that the gas pedal is only coming on halfway?

In LFS options/display, you can set "show pedals" to yes, this will give you a realtime graphical display at the bottom right of the screen, if your getting full gas or brake a little white top will show at the top of the red/green bars.

SD.

EDIT: Dan you type too fast.
Quote from Scooby_simon :Thanks for the quick reply Bob, but it's not the Pit lane limiter.

Neither is it the Clutch Dave.

The cars (all cars) behave like ther are operating with V high revs and almost no torque.

Both examples are on the Kyoto bowl.

1, Mini UF1000 - can slowly (30 seconds) get up to about 30 in ist; 40 in second, 50 in third and maybe 65 in 4th; this takes about 1 minute and about 1/2 a lap.
2, Formula V8 - slowly thru gears up to about 95

I will re-download _Z somewhere else and see what happens

Reload of _Z has fixed the "speed problem".

Can I copy over the skins I have simply?

I have the two versions of LFS on Seperate disks on my machine.

Y:/lfs/

and

Z:/lfs/

can I just copy the skins over?

BOTH versions are _Z, one is vanilla, one "broken"

Cheers again

Simon
I'm 99% sure you can, just copy the files from your skins folder of your broken lfs into the skins folder in your 'vanilla' lfs.
Yes copy the skin files over. It is okay to do.

all these folders...
skins
skins_dds
skins_x
skins_x

the x and y folders contain skins downloaded whilst online.

edit: I read too slow.
Try pressing f12 to see if there is an intake restriction on the cars.
I guess that the problem is in the "Voluntary Intake Restriction". When u go to pit - then straight at the bottom right side u can see the it. Im pretty sure that problem is there.
Quote from hazaky :I guess that the problem is in the "Voluntary Intake Restriction". When u go to pit - then straight at the bottom right side u can see the it. Im pretty sure that problem is there.

That would require editing the setups for every car. He said every car was effected. Unlikely the kid edited the intake restriction on every car by mistake. But he's fixed it now anyway.
Thanks for your help everyone. One happy kid last night (Finally went to bed at 02:30!!!!). Still no idea what he did. As some say above it was all cars and so I doubt it was the air intake.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG